Leg fatigue versus DOMS

Gingerbread Man

Jul 30, 2007
[SIZE=10pt]What is the biological mechanism(s) which are behind leg fatigue and how does this differ from DOMS? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]As a 41yr old relative newcomer to cycling (injured runner) I have been disconcerted by the [/SIZE]deep aches and leg tiredness which I get even from just a short cycle – e.g. an hour, and stick around for days and days. Last weekend I went out and got lost. I ended up doing 45 miles – twice as long as I have ever done in a day and that was the first time I actually got any stiffness! I felt no worse in terms of fatigue than a short cycle.

[SIZE=10pt]So I am interested in understanding what is going on with the leg fatigue. Do I just need to get used to the suffering as a normal part of cycling? I never got this running. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]If glycogen levels are repleted within say 48 hours (even after poor post-ride nutrition) and this is not DOMS – then what the hell is it? [/SIZE][SIZE=10.0pt]BTW – I had blood tests done and everything is apparently fine – including iron levels. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.0pt]If I understood what was happening – e.g. low potassium levels then I could mitigate it with supplements during or post-ride. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.0pt]Any input welcome.[/SIZE]