Letter to Bicycling

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claire Petersky, Apr 10, 2004.

  1. I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune of
    stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

    This woman looks like someone hit her hard in both eyes, she's got so much
    make-up on around them. She's wearing the most idiotic shoes -- who in their
    right mind would ever ever EVER where heels like that?! Or maybe that's the
    idea -- you want to show a female that looks like she's been physically
    abused, and wearing crippling footgear so she can't run away. Says something
    about your warped sexuality.

    And who would ever wear any of those clothes in public, much less on a bike?
    "Uncomfortable" doesn't even begin describe how wretched they appear to be
    on the body, but "ugly" might help.

    And you know what, guys? I have wild curly hair like that myself, and I
    know, you've got to braid it to keep it under control for a long ride or it
    will be a tangled mess after 50 or so miles.

    You guys must have had your oxygen supply cut off when you came up with this
    repulsive crap. Show us real women for your style section, women with
    muscles, women with scars on their knees and elbows, women who are fit,
    strong, and kick-ass, and don't have to have surgery to look like women.

    Feh.

    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]_s03:
    > I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune
    > of stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

    Was this the April Fools issue?

  3. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]_s03:
    > > I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune
    > > of stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

    > Was this the April Fools issue?

    Alas, no.

    An acquaintance showed me this article.

    The feature was a model showing off designer clothes made from old inner
    tubes, not clothes you would wear to actually bicycle. The model did look
    rather, uh, extreme. I doubt Claire will be the only woman writing in. I
    doubt the editors will care.

  4. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    Who takes that magazine seriously, anyway?

    > I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune

    of
    > stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

  5. "Gary Smiley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s01...
    > Who takes that magazine seriously, anyway?
    >
    > > I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune

    > of
    > > stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

    I haven't seen it but I checked out the website. However I haven't found the
    style section. WHat's the date on the issue? In canada we get them later.
    Now I'm curious as to see that article.

  6. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Sun, 11 Apr 2004 02:06:03 GMT,
    <[email protected]>,
    "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The feature was a model showing off designer clothes made from old inner
    >tubes, not clothes you would wear to actually bicycle. The model did look
    >rather, uh, extreme.

    People have been wearing fetish gear made from inner tubes for years
    already. Some very intricate and exacting work goes into the nicer
    pieces. Done well, it can be quite attractive.

    Locally the bikesexuals have made lots of costumes from bicycle inner
    tubes. I've seen capes and kilts woven from strips. Heavy like armour.
    Also bodices, skirts, bikinis and accessories.

    the extremes are constantly pushing the fringe into the mainstream.
    --
    zk

  7. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:43:21 -0400,
    <[email protected]>,
    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Now I'm curious as to see that article.

    I was planning to scope it out at Safeway later tonight.
    --
    zk

  8. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Mike Kruger wrote:

    > An acquaintance showed me this article.
    >
    > The feature was a model showing off designer clothes made from old
    > inner tubes, not clothes you would wear to actually bicycle. The
    > model did look rather, uh, extreme. I doubt Claire will be the only
    > woman writing in. I doubt the editors will care.

    They'll be laughing all the way to the bank, as more people buy the magazine to
    see what all the fuss is about. This is textbook lowest common denominator
    marketing, like making slasher movies so "smart people with a keen sense of
    irony" can "laugh at how stupid they are." Don't take the bait.

    Matt O.

  9. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune of
    > stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

    I have yet to see any evidence that the people who produce bicycling
    are more than casually acquainted with this 'thinking' thing that you
    postulate. Or maybe they are simply thinking about the clean green
    feel of the advertisers dollars as they roll gleefully in them.

    > Feh.

    You're welcome to borrow my Cycling + issues when I'm done with them.
    That should help wash some of the taste out of your mouth.

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
    Thus spake the master programmer:

  10. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

    Dane Jackson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > You're welcome to borrow my Cycling + issues when I'm done with them.
    > That should help wash some of the taste out of your mouth.

    Even though it costs between $7 and $8 per issue at Borders, I buy
    Cycling + every once in a while just to see what a well done bicycling
    magazine should look like. I get the impression that the folks at
    Cycling + actually ride bikes and have a clue what their readers are
    interested in.

    Dick Durbin

  11. araby

    araby Guest

    news:[email protected]_s03...

    > I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune

    of
    > stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

    I didn't realise that cyclists still read Buy-cycling.

  12. frkrygow

    frkrygow Guest

    Ken wrote:

    > "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]_s03:
    >
    >>I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune
    >>of stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

    > Was this the April Fools issue?

    Not much different from the March Fools issue, or the February Fools
    issue. And so on.

    --
    -------------+
    Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

  13. frkrygow

    frkrygow Guest

    araby wrote:

    > I didn't realise that cyclists still read Buy-cycling.

    Weirdly enough, I now have a subscription, for the first time in years.
    It comes at no charge, courtesy of the rapidly deteriorating League of
    American Bicyclists.

    This is nicely symbolic of the changes produced by the League's new,
    self-perpetuating board of directors.

    See http://www.labreform.org/

    --
    -------------+
    Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

  14. "araby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]

    > "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]_s03...
    >
    > > I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune
    > > of stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

    > I didn't realise that cyclists still read Buy-cycling.

    It's among the magazines that my kids sell to support their youth
    organization, Camp Fire. I subscribed this year.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  15. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    If it wasn't the 'April Fools' issue then maybe it was the February Fools or
    the March Hare or the May Fool-U issue.

    I'm sure you get the point - don't buy cycling magazine.

    "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    | "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in
    | news:[email protected]_s03:
    | > I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune
    | > of stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?
    |
    | Was this the April Fools issue?

  16. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    Dick Durbin <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Dane Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> You're welcome to borrow my Cycling + issues when I'm done with them.
    >> That should help wash some of the taste out of your mouth.

    > Even though it costs between $7 and $8 per issue at Borders, I buy
    > Cycling + every once in a while just to see what a well done bicycling
    > magazine should look like. I get the impression that the folks at
    > Cycling + actually ride bikes and have a clue what their readers are
    > interested in.

    I can't find any shops in the Seattle area that carry C+ unfortunately.
    I did manage to pick up a copy when I was out visiting my brother in
    Philly a while ago. I was very favorably impressed with it and have
    been wrestling with whether to subscribe or not till recently.

    At least one of the contributers (Scott Munn ?) to C+ appears to be a
    uk.rec.cycling poster. Heh, evidently one of Guy's quotes about helmets
    made it into C+ via that channel. I've been lurking on ur.cycling for
    a bit, and the denizens seem to carry a fairly good opinion of the
    magazine. My first issue (May) is supposed to be arriving in the mail
    soon.

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
    Unix is the worst operating system; except for all others.

  17. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    frkrygow" <"frkrygow wrote:

    > araby wrote:
    >
    >> I didn't realise that cyclists still read Buy-cycling.

    > Weirdly enough, I now have a subscription, for the first time in
    > years. It comes at no charge, courtesy of the rapidly deteriorating
    > League of American Bicyclists.

    See, they have to give it away...

    Matt O.

  18. "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s04...
    > "araby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]_s03...
    > >
    > > > I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the

    misfortune
    > > > of stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

    > > I didn't realise that cyclists still read Buy-cycling.

    > It's among the magazines that my kids sell to support their youth
    > organization, Camp Fire. I subscribed this year.

    Campfire! Like the campfire girls? I seem to remember ads for the campfire
    girls on tv when I was very young, but not anymore.I guess it's just
    Campfire now, for boys and girls.

    As for the magazine, it's not Cyclesport but it'snot as bad as it used to
    be. They actually have some good articles, like one on the website for
    climbing workouts.

  19. MP

    MP Guest

    I got my subscription the same way last year. I remembered
    "Bicycling" from the early 90s, when it seemed like a pretty good
    magazine. I was surprised at how bad it is now. They were always
    pushing expensive stuff that an ordinary bicyclist could not afford,
    but they used to have some good articles. Now you're lucky if there
    is one decent article in an issue.

    MP

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 10:11:33 -0400, "frkrygow"
    <"frkrygow"@omitcc.ysu.edu> wrote:

    >araby wrote:
    >
    >> I didn't realise that cyclists still read Buy-cycling.

    >Weirdly enough, I now have a subscription, for the first time in years.
    > It comes at no charge, courtesy of the rapidly deteriorating League of
    >American Bicyclists.
    >
    >This is nicely symbolic of the changes produced by the League's new,
    >self-perpetuating board of directors.
    >
    >See http://www.labreform.org/

  20. And don't forget the chainring tattoo, either!

    Bicycling has don this before, back when their subscription base was
    suffering. my guess is they may be in dire straights again. Hence the
    "swimsuit issue". I don't bother with this mag anymore. AFAIK, it's just
    another narrow-minded racer mag.

    If so, you can bask in that, at least :-#)

    - -

    "May you have the wind at your back.
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner