Letter to Bicycling

Claire Petersky

Guest
I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune of
stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

This woman looks like someone hit her hard in both eyes, she's got so much
make-up on around them. She's wearing the most idiotic shoes -- who in their
right mind would ever ever EVER where heels like that?! Or maybe that's the
idea -- you want to show a female that looks like she's been physically
abused, and wearing crippling footgear so she can't run away. Says something
about your warped sexuality.

And who would ever wear any of those clothes in public, much less on a bike?
"Uncomfortable" doesn't even begin describe how wretched they appear to be
on the body, but "ugly" might help.

And you know what, guys? I have wild curly hair like that myself, and I
know, you've got to braid it to keep it under control for a long ride or it
will be a tangled mess after 50 or so miles.

You guys must have had your oxygen supply cut off when you came up with this
repulsive ****. Show us real women for your style section, women with
muscles, women with scars on their knees and elbows, women who are fit,
strong, and kick-ass, and don't have to have surgery to look like women.

Feh.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in
> I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune
> of stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

Was this the April Fools issue?

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune
> > of stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

> Was this the April Fools issue?

Alas, no.

An acquaintance showed me this article.

The feature was a model showing off designer clothes made from old inner
tubes, not clothes you would wear to actually bicycle. The model did look
rather, uh, extreme. I doubt Claire will be the only woman writing in. I
doubt the editors will care.

Who takes that magazine seriously, anyway?

"Gary Smiley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Who takes that magazine seriously, anyway?
>
> > I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune

> of
> > stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

I haven't seen it but I checked out the website. However I haven't found the
style section. WHat's the date on the issue? In canada we get them later.
Now I'm curious as to see that article.

Sun, 11 Apr 2004 02:06:03 GMT,
<[email protected]>,
"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The feature was a model showing off designer clothes made from old inner
>tubes, not clothes you would wear to actually bicycle. The model did look
>rather, uh, extreme.

People have been wearing fetish gear made from inner tubes for years
already. Some very intricate and exacting work goes into the nicer
pieces. Done well, it can be quite attractive.

Locally the bikesexuals have made lots of costumes from bicycle inner
tubes. I've seen capes and kilts woven from strips. Heavy like armour.
Also bodices, skirts, bikinis and accessories.

the extremes are constantly pushing the fringe into the mainstream.
--
zk

Mike Kruger wrote:

> An acquaintance showed me this article.
>
> The feature was a model showing off designer clothes made from old
> inner tubes, not clothes you would wear to actually bicycle. The
> model did look rather, uh, extreme. I doubt Claire will be the only
> woman writing in. I doubt the editors will care.

They'll be laughing all the way to the bank, as more people buy the magazine to
see what all the fuss is about. This is textbook lowest common denominator
marketing, like making slasher movies so "smart people with a keen sense of
irony" can "laugh at how stupid they are." Don't take the bait.

Matt O.

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune of
> stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

I have yet to see any evidence that the people who produce bicycling
are more than casually acquainted with this 'thinking' thing that you
postulate. Or maybe they are simply thinking about the clean green
feel of the advertisers dollars as they roll gleefully in them.

> Feh.

You're welcome to borrow my Cycling + issues when I'm done with them.
That should help wash some of the taste out of your mouth.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Thus spake the master programmer:

Dane Jackson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> You're welcome to borrow my Cycling + issues when I'm done with them.
> That should help wash some of the taste out of your mouth.

Even though it costs between $7 and $8 per issue at Borders, I buy
Cycling + every once in a while just to see what a well done bicycling
magazine should look like. I get the impression that the folks at
Cycling + actually ride bikes and have a clue what their readers are
interested in.

**** Durbin

> I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune

of
> stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

I didn't realise that cyclists still read Buy-cycling.

Ken wrote:

> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in
>
>>I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune
>>of stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

> Was this the April Fools issue?

Not much different from the March Fools issue, or the February Fools
issue. And so on.

It comes at no charge, courtesy of the rapidly deteriorating League of
American Bicyclists.

This is nicely symbolic of the changes produced by the League's new,
self-perpetuating board of directors.

See http://www.labreform.org/

--
-------------+
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

"araby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune
> > of stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

> I didn't realise that cyclists still read Buy-cycling.

It's among the magazines that my kids sell to support their youth
organization, Camp Fire. I subscribed this year.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

If it wasn't the 'April Fools' issue then maybe it was the February Fools or
the March Hare or the May Fool-U issue.

I'm sure you get the point - don't buy cycling magazine.

**** Durbin <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dane Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:
>> You're welcome to borrow my Cycling + issues when I'm done with them.
>> That should help wash some of the taste out of your mouth.

> Even though it costs between $7 and $8 per issue at Borders, I buy
> Cycling + every once in a while just to see what a well done bicycling
> magazine should look like. I get the impression that the folks at
> Cycling + actually ride bikes and have a clue what their readers are
> interested in.

I can't find any shops in the Seattle area that carry C+ unfortunately.
I did manage to pick up a copy when I was out visiting my brother in
Philly a while ago. I was very favorably impressed with it and have
been wrestling with whether to subscribe or not till recently.

At least one of the contributers (Scott Munn ?) to C+ appears to be a
uk.rec.cycling poster. Heh, evidently one of Guy's quotes about helmets
made it into C+ via that channel. I've been lurking on ur.cycling for
a bit, and the denizens seem to carry a fairly good opinion of the
magazine. My first issue (May) is supposed to be arriving in the mail
soon.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Unix is the worst operating system; except for all others.

frkrygow" <"frkrygow wrote:

> araby wrote:
>
>> I didn't realise that cyclists still read Buy-cycling.

> Weirdly enough, I now have a subscription, for the first time in
> years. It comes at no charge, courtesy of the rapidly deteriorating
> League of American Bicyclists.

See, they have to give it away...

Matt O.

> "araby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > > I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the

misfortune
> > > of stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

> > I didn't realise that cyclists still read Buy-cycling.

> It's among the magazines that my kids sell to support their youth
> organization, Camp Fire. I subscribed this year.

Campfire! Like the campfire girls? I seem to remember ads for the campfire
girls on tv when I was very young, but not anymore.I guess it's just
Campfire now, for boys and girls.

As for the magazine, it's not Cyclesport but it'snot as bad as it used to
be. They actually have some good articles, like one on the website for
climbing workouts.

I got my subscription the same way last year. I remembered
"Bicycling" from the early 90s, when it seemed like a pretty good
magazine. I was surprised at how bad it is now. They were always
pushing expensive stuff that an ordinary bicyclist could not afford,
but they used to have some good articles. Now you're lucky if there
is one decent article in an issue.

MP

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 10:11:33 -0400, "frkrygow"
<"frkrygow"@omitcc.ysu.edu> wrote:

>araby wrote:
>
>> I didn't realise that cyclists still read Buy-cycling.

>Weirdly enough, I now have a subscription, for the first time in years.
> It comes at no charge, courtesy of the rapidly deteriorating League of
>American Bicyclists.
>
>This is nicely symbolic of the changes produced by the League's new,
>self-perpetuating board of directors.
>
>See http://www.labreform.org/

And don't forget the chainring tattoo, either!

Bicycling has don this before, back when their subscription base was
suffering. my guess is they may be in dire straights again. Hence the
"swimsuit issue". I don't bother with this mag anymore. AFAIK, it's just
another narrow-minded racer mag.

If so, you can bask in that, at least :-#)

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner