Light weight jacket / shell

Chris M

Guest
I have been looking for a windbreaker to fit in a pocket (typical 3
pocket jerseys). I have 1 shell with mesh and no sleeves, which is ok
for some situations like descending long hills on cool days. It has
mesh on the back too, so it just really takes the edge off but not
much else. What I would like is a shell with sleeves but most
important is the heaviest front (mesh on the back is ideal but not
required) that will fit in a pocket.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 12:40:39 -0800, Chris M wrote:

> I have been looking for a windbreaker to fit in a pocket (typical 3
> pocket jerseys). I have 1 shell with mesh and no sleeves, which is ok
> for some situations like descending long hills on cool days. It has
> mesh on the back too, so it just really takes the edge off but not
> much else. What I would like is a shell with sleeves but most
> important is the heaviest front (mesh on the back is ideal but not
> required) that will fit in a pocket.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.

A jacket from any major bike brand should do the job. The more expensive
ones are usually made of thinner cloth that packs better. The cheapest
ones don't pack nearly as well. I have a Bellwether one that squishes to
a little bigger than my fist.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote in
news:p[email protected]:
> A jacket from any major bike brand should do the job. The more expensive
> ones are usually made of thinner cloth that packs better. The cheapest
> ones don't pack nearly as well. I have a Bellwether one that squishes to
> a little bigger than my fist.

The thinner ones are also more breathable, but not as wind and rain
resistant.

Chris M wrote:
> I have been looking for a windbreaker to fit in a pocket (typical 3
> pocket jerseys). I have 1 shell with mesh and no sleeves, which is ok
> for some situations like descending long hills on cool days. It has
> mesh on the back too, so it just really takes the edge off but not
> much else. What I would like is a shell with sleeves but most
> important is the heaviest front (mesh on the back is ideal but not
> required) that will fit in a pocket.

Doesn't fit your "thick front, mesh back" requirement, but if its available
in your bit of the world, a Montane Featherlite Smock may do what you need.

I use it a lot on the bike, as well as cross country skiing (over thicker
layers), and hill walking (usually pulled over when stopped).

About the size of a small apple when in its tiny stuff-bag.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/