London Taxi Attempted Assault

> Dr Curious wrote:
>
> >> Phrases like "how do you suggest bus drivers are able identify which
> >> pedestrians to kill and injure" tend to imply a degree of intent,
> >> don't you think?

> > As did the original post which sparked off this sub-thread

> So who was it that introduced the Curious idea that cyclists bypassing
> the PT infrastructure might be the cause of the animosity?

Me. And I stand by the claim. Not are you potentially costing the bus
company a fare but you may well be irritating the driver to boot. If
you were sitting on a seat inside his bus, instead of holding him up
as he pulls into bus stops he'd be a much happier bunny all round.

> >> my first contribution was to suggest that
> >> pedestrians and taxi passengers were "deserving" of the same
> >> treatment, as they, too, are costing the bus company a fare.

> > So in other words you're suggesting that they're deserving of being
> > run off the road by a bus, as was the OP

> What on earth is going on inside your head? You suggested that bikes
> bypassing PT was a possible reason for animosity, I pointed out that
> this is also true of pedestrians, and taxi passengers.
>
> So, are you now going back on your original suggestion, or have you

merely
> lost the plot?

No. I still stand by my original sugestion. I merely wish you to
demonstrate how you think bus drivers are able to express their
animosity towards pedestrians and taxi drivers, in the way they can
so more easily do to cyclists.

> > And yet you still have to explain exactly how bus drivers can be
> > expected to single out and idenify non-bus-using pedestrians and
> > taxi passengers, in order to at least "run them off the road".

> Probably the same way they single out non bus-using cyclists: by looking

at
> whether they are in a bus or not. After all, you can't tell at sight
> whether a cyclist might or might not be an habitual bus user can you?
> Especially if they use a folding bike.

Yes that's all very well. But I'm sorry you can't suggest habitual
bus using cyclists as a means of escape here. Anyone riding a bicycle
is at that particular moment is a cyclist. What you still need to explain
is how exactly bus drivers are able to express this supposed animosity they
also have towards pedestrians and taxi users. The point being in all of
this
that its cyclists not pedestrians or anyone else who are the ones competing
with them for road space at bus stops. They represent a potential focus
for this animosty whether the other PT avoiders do not.

> On the other hand, Hanlon's Razor allows for a second and more plausible
> explanation: bus drivers are numpties.

All the more reason for staying well clear of them in the first place
then, eh?

Curious

Dr Curious wrote:

> Also our being on a bike costs the bus company
> a fare.

which to my untutored mind suggests that ALL cyclists, were they not
travelling by bike, would be on the bus. Which they wouldn't. Guy's
explanation about bus drivers being thicko numpties seems rather more
plausible.

QEfuckingD.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dr Curious wrote:

>> So who was it that introduced the Curious idea that cyclists
>> bypassing the PT infrastructure might be the cause of the animosity?

> Me. And I stand by the claim. Not are you potentially costing the bus
> company a fare but you may well be irritating the driver to boot. If
> you were sitting on a seat inside his bus, instead of holding him up
> as he pulls into bus stops he'd be a much happier bunny all round.

In a way that pavement lemmings and taxi passengers (whose taxis swerve in
and out of the bus lanes) do not? Interesting.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by
stupidity. And in this case never attribute higher level thinking to bus
drivers.

Guy

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:
> Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by
> stupidity. And in this case never attribute higher level thinking to bus
> drivers.

********. There's plenty of perfectly normal bus drivers who respect
people and think.

<anecdote style="showing of patronising middle class atitudes to what
is worthwhile and what the plebs should do"> Only this lunchtime
someone came into the art gallery cafe I was in who was wearing a
Travel West Midlands uniform. </anecdote>

On 16 Jul 2004 17:17:52 +0100, Ambrose Nankivell
<[email protected]> wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>> Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by
>> stupidity. And in this case never attribute higher level thinking to bus
>> drivers.

>********. There's plenty of perfectly normal bus drivers who respect
>people and think.

Never said there weren't. On the other hand, attributing higher-level
thought to them runs counter to Hanlon's Razor.

><anecdote style="showing of patronising middle class atitudes to what
>is worthwhile and what the plebs should do"> Only this lunchtime
>someone came into the art gallery cafe I was in who was wearing a
>Travel West Midlands uniform. </anecdote>

The bus driver who drives the shuttle between Milton Park and DIcot
Parkway is also a prince among men, not least for his willingness to
allow the occasional cyclist to blag a lift in his nice dry bus when
it's chucking it down. He is also very good about overtaking - and
not overtaking, especially just before bus-stops.

On the other hand, a quick trip to Oxford Street would rapidly
disabuse you of the idea that this is archetypal :)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:06:35 +0100, Daniel Barlow <[email protected]>
wrote (more or less):

>"Dr Curious" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Somebody however, with it would appear, infinitely more experience of
>> riding a bicycle in town than you have.

>This is self-evidently impossible unless you are immortal.
>
>Free clue: "infinite" isn't just another word for "lots"

True - but it /is/ the reciprocal of zero - so someone with /any/
experience always has infinitely more than someone with zero
experience.

--
Cheers,
Euan

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:18:40 +0000 (UTC), Ricardo
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>Gawnsoft wrote:
>
>>> He said, "You shouldn't have been undertaking

>>>Sadly my reply wasn't printable. Which, when I'd calmed down, I
>>>regretted, since it undoubtedly wouldn't have helped my case had I
>>>reported him to his superiors.

>> You mean you didn't!!!?!!

>Sigh. No. I imagine that he was so intent on not running into the
>back of the bus that he was tailgating, that he didn't see me as he
>overtook. So he assumed I was undertaking him. And it would've been
>my word against his, with the added advantage to him that he was being
>reasonable and I was a raging psycho :)

If you can remember the time and location, it may not be too late yet.

--
Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:22:41 +0100, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote (more or less):

>Gawnsoft [email protected] opined the
>following...
>> Although that doesn't explain the animosity from taxi drivers when I
>> want to take my bike with me in the taxi!

>Oddly enough, I've never had a problem with that. On the rare occasions
>that I have to take a bike in a cab, I tend to hold it in an obvious
>position when hailing to avoid any nastiness.

I've /seldom/ had a problem with it - but it certainly has been a
problem. And worst when ordering a cab by phone, obviously.

--
Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

Gawnsoft [email protected] opined the
following...
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:22:41 +0100, Jon Senior
> <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote (more or less):
>
> >Gawnsoft [email protected] opined the
> >following...
> >> Although that doesn't explain the animosity from taxi drivers when I
> >> want to take my bike with me in the taxi!

> >Oddly enough, I've never had a problem with that. On the rare occasions
> >that I have to take a bike in a cab, I tend to hold it in an obvious
> >position when hailing to avoid any nastiness.

> I've /seldom/ had a problem with it - but it certainly has been a
> problem. And worst when ordering a cab by phone, obviously.

True. A puncture on the outskirts of town (Ikea) at the end of a long
ride with no spare / repair kit / pump[1] resulted in a taxi ride home.
I made sure that I mentioned the bike when booking and was told that
this could mean a long delay if there were no drivers interested in
taking a bike.

Jon

[1] Lesson learnt the expensive way. That afternoon I bought two new
innertubes and an Airstick!

> Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by
> stupidity. And in this case never attribute higher level thinking
> to bus drivers.

Precisely! And I can only suggest you direct those remarks to
Colin Blackburn

news:<[email protected]>...

<quote>

I was once run off the road by a bus in Oxford. The driver
deliberately pulled closer to the kerb as he pulled alongside
me. He seemed to take offence at me passing him (safely) on
the inside (using a bicycle lane) while he was in a stationary
queue. He made contact with my arm and I came close to coming off.

</quote>

Because it was precisely in my attempting to point out the
error in such ways of thinking, that this sub-thread
began.

Let's just hope you fare rather better.

Curious

Gawnsoft <[email protected]> writes:

> True - but it /is/ the reciprocal of zero - so someone with /any/
> experience always has infinitely more than someone with zero
> experience.

I don't know what a Real Mathematician would say about this, but note
that (a) the limit of -x/0 as x tends to zero is negative infinity,
and (b) IEEE floating point, some reasonable approximation to which is
used in most modern computer, specifies x/0 as returning NaN (Not a
Number) rather than Inf (and raising a 'division by zero' exception).

(Perhaps if you read x/0 from right to left instead of left to right
you get a different answer ...)

This is all beside the point anyway as Colin's post describes an
encounter with a bus while cycling in Oxford, so he must obviously
have had sufficient experience of cycling in that particular city to
have encountered a bus.

-dan

--
"please make sure that the person is your friend before you confirm"

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:49:09 +0100, "Dr Curious"
<[email protected]>:

>> Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by
>> stupidity. And in this case never attribute higher level thinking
>> to bus drivers.

>Precisely! And I can only suggest you direct those remarks to
>Colin Blackburn

No, I think Colin's criticisms of you are entirely based on malice: I
think he doesn't suffer fools gladly ;-P

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Ambrose
Nankivell <[email protected]> breathed:

>"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:
>> Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by
>> stupidity. And in this case never attribute higher level thinking to bus
>> drivers.

>********. There's plenty of perfectly normal bus drivers who respect
>people and think.

Indeed, and there are many who are absolute paragons of good driving,
constantly displaying high levels of both driving skill and customer
care, frequently in very taxing circumstances, including idiotic
behaviour from some cyclists.

However there are also a few who are suicidal maniacs hell-bent on
turning absolutely anything which gets in their way into roadkill. It's
not the huge majority of good ones you need to worry about, it's the few
nutters that the bus company hasn't managed to get rid of yet.

--
- Pyromancer.
- http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!

wrote:

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by
>> stupidity. And in this case never attribute higher level thinking
>> to bus drivers.

> Precisely!

You are the one who claimed bus drivers are malicious towards cyclists
(exclusively) because we are bipassing (sic) buses. I only claimed that
one particular bus driver was malicious towards me as a cyclist on one
particular occasion, no more.

Colin

news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:49:09 +0100, Dr Curious <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by
> >> stupidity. And in this case never attribute higher level thinking
> >> to bus drivers.

> > Precisely!

> You are the one who claimed bus drivers are malicious towards cyclists
> (exclusively) because we are bipassing (sic) buses.

Basically bus drivers can only exhibit maliciousness where they have the
opportunity. If cyclists stuck exclusively to routes where they never
came into contact with buses, then it would be difficult to see how
bus drivers could be malicious towards them. So the maliciousness
would need to arise out of at least two factors - not one.

> I only claimed that one particular bus driver was malicious towards
> me as a cyclist on one particular occasion, no more.

So what you appear to be claiming here, is that this bus driver
picked on you for some unnaccountable reason. Is that correct?

Do you find that people pick on you in other situations too then?

You see, I was simply trying to resolve your difficulty for you, by
trying to relate that particular experience to some more general
principle, that might be seen to apply to others as well.

As I find that many people can derive great comfort from such a
suggestion, rather than reject it out of hand as you've sought
to do.

So that by the look of things, you really do appear to be in need
of fairly specific counselling of some kind.

My oh my, what a muddle we do get ourselves into, don't we eh?

Curious