Long Cage-Short Cage

Lasalles

Aug 6, 2003
Ok this might be a dumb question but whats the diff between long and short cage??? Is it how far down the rear derailler hangs down toward the ground??? MEaning short cage has more ground clearance for offroad terrain???? Thanks...

The "cage" is the bit that sits below the derailleur with the two jockey wheels in it.

Long cage can accomodate more unused chain, which is needed to run a triple-chainring crankset (ie. when you're in the granny gear). Short cage can handle less chain, therefore is designed for double-chainring crankset.

In addition: you can run a short cage with a triple, but you can only get up to like a 28 (or so) rear cog in. With a long cage you can put the great 34 tooth granny gears. It just depends on the front chainring/rear cog max numbers. Have fun.

K.

I have a medium cage, and its not all bad. I just cant use the biggest cogs with the biggest chainring. Keeps me from cross-chaining anyway, and the shorter cage provides less chain slop, and more precise shifts. I think I am going back to a long cage for my next derailleur though, so we will see which I like better...

-percious

Hi you guys. Thanks for all the info which explains why I need a long cage in the first place. I need the 'Granny' gears and have a 54/42/32 and a 11-34 which does at least mean I can go fast down hill even if I'm slow up hill!

I have just bought a Shimano XT Rapid Rise with an EXTRA Long Cage. This seemes to work OK- indeed it is more intuitive as both shifters work in the same direction when going up the gears and I can more quickly get to low gears when I need to.

This EXTRA long cage in the Shimano Tech Spec seems to be for the same gear ratios as the ordinary Long Cage with the only difference that it will accommodate '45T'. See the Shimano site.

What does this mean? And/or should I have bought just an 'ordinary' Long Cage? Cheers. Slaws

By the way that Aussie Cooper's Beer is Ace Cobber. From which comment you may guess that I'm nearly 60!

cornwallis said:
Hi you guys. Thanks for all the info which explains why I need a long cage in the first place. I need the 'Granny' gears and have a 54/42/32 and a 11-34 which does at least mean I can go fast down hill even if I'm slow up hill!

I have just bought a Shimano XT Rapid Rise with an EXTRA Long Cage. This seemes to work OK- indeed it is more intuitive as both shifters work in the same direction when going up the gears and I can more quickly get to low gears when I need to.

This EXTRA long cage in the Shimano Tech Spec seems to be for the same gear ratios as the ordinary Long Cage with the only difference that it will accommodate '45T'. See the Shimano site.

What does this mean? And/or should I have bought just an 'ordinary' Long Cage? Cheers. Slaws

By the way that Aussie Cooper's Beer is Ace Cobber. From which comment you may guess that I'm nearly 60!

45T is the maximum capacity the derailleur can accomodate, adding together your rear range (34-11 = 23T) and your front range (54-32 = 22T), giving 45T total capacity. So you are running this derailleur at its max capacity, and you couldn't, for example, make your big chainring a 55 now, without keeping a careful eye on the gear combinations you use. I wouldn't imagine you'd need to though, unless you have VERY big legs :)

MidBunchLurker said:
45T is the maximum capacity the derailleur can accomodate, adding together your rear range (34-11 = 23T) and your front range (54-32 = 22T), giving 45T total capacity. So you are running this derailleur at its max capacity, and you couldn't, for example, make your big chainring a 55 now, without keeping a careful eye on the gear combinations you use. I wouldn't imagine you'd need to though, unless you have VERY big legs :)

Nic That is a really informative reply and answers my question perfectly. All I have to do now is get the chain length right!!!

I'm working on the legs