Long Reach Front Brake for SS 27" -700C

HughMann

New Member
Jun 22, 2004
Have "finished " the single and its hissing down rain. Bloody tropical downpour.
Problem with SS is the only brakes I could get to fit are **** MTB ones and they dont work (especially frightening as other bike is Avanti Blade with disks) Its an old steel 27" frame and I have put 700C wheels on it so its the same as other 3 bikes in family. It rides really well but it dont stop.

I am sure that this problem has come up before but cant find any answers.
With all the SS and Fixie crew here there must be a solution.
Contemplated going fixed for about 1 nanosecond then the same reflex that stops me from parachuting kicked in.

Cheers
Hugh

"HughMann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Have "finished " the single and its hissing down rain. Bloody tropical
> downpour.
> Problem with SS is the only brakes I could get to fit are **** MTB ones
> and they dont work (especially frightening as other bike is Avanti Blade
> with disks) Its an old steel 27" frame and I have put 700C wheels on it
> so its the same as other 3 bikes in family. It rides really well but it
> dont stop.
>
> I am sure that this problem has come up before but cant find any
> answers.
> With all the SS and Fixie crew here there must be a solution.
> Contemplated going fixed for about 1 nanosecond then the same reflex
> that stops me from parachuting kicked in.
>
> Cheers
> Hugh
>

> --
> HughMann

I have enough problems with keeping 27" rims. I got spoiled with the old MTB
on 1½" slicks...I could stand that thing on its nose easily. I wish I could
do that with the fixie.I think it's the caliper. I dread to think what it'd
be like with an even longer reach!

HughMann wrote:
> Have "finished " the single and its hissing down rain. Bloody tropical
> downpour.

You're not in sunny Melbourne then? :p

> Problem with SS is the only brakes I could get to fit are **** MTB ones
> and they dont work (especially frightening as other bike is Avanti Blade
> with disks) Its an old steel 27" frame and I have put 700C wheels on it
> so its the same as other 3 bikes in family. It rides really well but it
> dont stop.

I have some long reach calipers but the braking power is pretty lame.

> With all the SS and Fixie crew here there must be a solution.
> Contemplated going fixed for about 1 nanosecond then the same reflex
> that stops me from parachuting kicked in.

Long-reach calipers. Drop bolts. 27" wheels.

hippy

hippy said:
HughMann wrote:
> Have "finished " the single and its hissing down rain. >Bloody tropical downpour

You're not in sunny Melbourne then? :p

No, Townsville, though from reading BR posts Melbourne was hotter than here.
Lived in Melb 11 yrs. Blackburn, Yallambie (MQ) and Box Hill North.

> Problem with SS is the only brakes I could get to fit are >**** MTB ones
> and they dont work. Its an old steel 27" frame and I >have put 700C wheels on it so its the same as other 3 >bikes in family. It rides really well but it
> dont stop.
I have some long reach calipers but the braking power is pretty lame.

Mmmmm.

Long-reach calipers. Drop bolts. 27" wheels.

hippy

Long-reach calipers. Lame ! OK

Drop bolts. "Please Explain"

27" wheels. Scrounged hubs, shop scratched Velocity Aero 25mm rims, cheap, and built by LBS so the cash is spent!

Just been out and done 30k in strong wind ( live by the beach) Gearing seems good for me. 39 - 17, 700c wheels and 175 cranks. Did max of 33kmh for about 400m. Dont know what cadence that works out to or how to figure it but it was my max. pufffff

Drop Bolts, mmmm wot dat

HUGH

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 at 12:58 GMT, HughMann (aka Bruce)

> hippy Wrote:
>> HughMann wrote:
>> > Have "finished " the single and its hissing down rain. >Bloody

>> tropical downpour
>>
>> You're not in sunny Melbourne then? :p

> No, Townsville, though from reading BR posts Melbourne was hotter than
> here.

33 yesterday. "hottest april day in 20 years". 33 today, one hour,
then 19.6 the next (I've got a nice little vertical line on my 72 hour
weather applet). Beautiful! Just like the doctor in WA. Mind you, I
would have prefered it 12 hours earlier, then I could have gotten that
gippsland ride in.

Oh, and the radar lies. 10 minutes ago, I was in a downpour 5 minutes
from home. According to the radar which last sampled about 10 minutes
ago, there is no rain over my house, or for 5km either way. Bah, I
say! It lies!

I've not worn those nics in the rain before - they sure do like to
absorb a lot of water.

Dijkstra probably hates me
(Linus Torvalds, on gotos in kernel/sched.c)

HughMann wrote:
> hippy Wrote:
>>I have some long reach calipers but the braking power is pretty lame.

> Mmmmm.

Mine are really cheap calipers. You can buy better ones from Rivendell I
think, but they are around $50USD.

> Long-reach calipers. Lame ! OK

Perhaps not all. Depends on how much reach is needed. I think there were
some early Dura-Ace calipers that were long reach.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html

> 27" wheels. Scrounged hubs, shop scratched Velocity Aero 25mm rims,
> cheap, and built by LBS so the cash is spent!
>
> Just been out and done 30k in strong wind ( live by the beach) Gearing
> seems good for me. 39 - 17, 700c wheels and 175 cranks. Did max of
> 33kmh for about 400m. Dont know what cadence that works out to or how
> to figure it but it was my max. pufffff

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/gears/cyclists_cadence_calculator.html
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=calculate+cadence+speed&meta=

HTH
hippy
"packing.. yes.. really!"

hippy said:
HughMann wrote:
> hippy Wrote:
>>I have some long reach calipers but the braking power is pretty lame.

> Mmmmm.

Mine are really cheap calipers. You can buy better ones from Rivendell I
think, but they are around $50USD.

> Long-reach calipers. Lame ! OK

Perhaps not all. Depends on how much reach is needed. I think there were
some early Dura-Ace calipers that were long reach.

> Drop bolts. "Please Explain"

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html

> 27" wheels. Scrounged hubs, shop scratched Velocity Aero 25mm rims,
> cheap, and built by LBS so the cash is spent!
>
> Just been out and done 30k in strong wind ( live by the beach) Gearing
> seems good for me. 39 - 17, 700c wheels and 175 cranks. Did max of
> 33kmh for about 400m. Dont know what cadence that works out to or how
> to figure it but it was my max. pufffff

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/gears/cyclists_cadence_calculator.html
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=calculate+cadence+speed&meta=

HTH
hippy
"packing.. yes.. really!"
I have been 'doing up' my old 27" wheeled bike lately. Got to the stage where it was all together but the old DiaCompe brakes scared the hell out of me. So I decided to put some dual pivot brakes on. Scrounged a frame from a mini-skip a while back. Still had brakes on it. But they don't fit the bloody 27" wheels. So its long reach calipers I need. None available in Perth. Tried bike shops in Melbourne, Geelong, Sydney, Brisbane, Toowoomba and Warwick when I was in those places. None.

Sheldon Brown was the answer. Brand new Shimano A550 dual pivot brakes. 47mm to 57mm reach (from memory). Also referrred to as 'stantard reach' brakes. Oh, and because of the age of the frame, it does not have recessed brake mounting holes on the brake bridge and the front fork, so I needed the 'nutted' version of the brakes which Sheldon had.

SteveA

SteveA wrote:
> Sheldon Brown was the answer. Brand new Shimano A550 dual pivot
> brakes. 47mm to 57mm reach (from memory). Also referrred to as
> 'stantard reach' brakes. Oh, and because of the age of the frame, it
> does not have recessed brake mounting holes on the brake bridge and the
> front fork, so I needed the 'nutted' version of the brakes which Sheldon
> had.

It was "Kogswell" not "Rivendell". I emailed them about _black_,
long-reach calipers and they said:

<quote>
Here's a photo:
http://www.kogswell.com/images/kwBRAKESET.jpg
A single caliper is $30 USD. And shipping is $20 USD.
</quote>

How much is one from Sheldon?

hippy

hippy said:
SteveA wrote:
> Sheldon Brown was the answer. Brand new Shimano A550 dual pivot
> brakes. 47mm to 57mm reach (from memory). Also referrred to as
> 'stantard reach' brakes. Oh, and because of the age of the frame, it
> does not have recessed brake mounting holes on the brake bridge and the
> front fork, so I needed the 'nutted' version of the brakes which Sheldon
> had.

It was "Kogswell" not "Rivendell". I emailed them about _black_,
long-reach calipers and they said:

<quote>
Here's a photo:
http://www.kogswell.com/images/kwBRAKESET.jpg
A single caliper is $30 USD. And shipping is $20 USD.
</quote>

How much is one from Sheldon?

hippy
A550/RX100 from Sheldon US$39.95 each plus freight (US$28 for 2 calipers and 2 tyres)

SteveA

SteveA said:
A550/RX100 from Sheldon US$39.95 each plus freight (US$28 for 2 calipers and 2 tyres)

SteveA

Thanks for info everyone. Looks like its off to the shed to make a drop bolt. Will see how good that is before I order stuff from the US. Being super cautious I will make it from mild steel and not aluminium as Shelton says.
Had a "lightglobe" moment when I read the Shelton link that its best to set up the drop bolt so that brake shoes are at the top of the adjustment slot to give better leverage. Would not have done that, would have gone half way.

Cheers
Hugh

If you're going to do one of my "home made drop bolt" setups, I'd like
to clarify. (I really need to make more photos for that article.)

The aluminium piece shown is one of _two_. One goes in front of the
fork/bridge, the other goes _behind_ it.

There is a stack of washers (or oversized nuts being used as washers)
on the brake's mounting bolt between the lower parts of the aluminium
bits to match the spacing of the fork/bridge.

Note that you need a pretty long caliper bolt to make this work, won't
work with calipers intended for recessed mounting, because the bolts
aren't long enough.

http://sheldonbrown.com/home-drop

Sheldon "Let Me Make This Perfectly Clear" Brown
Newtonville, Massachusetts
| To invent, you need a good imagination |
| and a pile of junk. --Thomas Edison |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon Brown said:
[snip]

Note that you need a pretty long caliper bolt to make this work, won't
work with calipers intended for recessed mounting, because the bolts
aren't long enough.

http://sheldonbrown.com/home-drop

Sheldon "Let Me Make This Perfectly Clear" Brown
Newtonville, Massachusetts
| To invent, you need a good imagination |
| and a pile of junk. --Thomas Edison |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Is it a cunning paintjob, my imagination or is the bike in the photo made from broomsticks? Isn't timber nature's carbon fibre?

Ritch

Sheldon Brown said:
[...]

Thanks for clarification. 1 front of fork, 1 behind makes it a lot stronger. When I read "need to make 2" my brain said 1 front brake, 1 back brake, and didnt analise further.
What I intended to make, and still might, is a U shaped piece that will do away with the need for packing washers/nuts. If it turns out bog ugly I always have your original design.

Cheers
Hugh
PS. Enjoyed the "April Fool" site. Special !