Looking at buying a Giant OCR 1 2004

WARrider

Jun 4, 2004
Hello first post here and looking to buy my first Road Bike. I've been into Mountain Biking for a long time, well not too long since I'm only 19. Anyway I've never owned a Giant(I ride Gary Fisher) or know a whole lot about Road Bikes. What are your opinions on the Giant OCR 1? I'm looking for the best bike I can get for around $1,000. Thanks!

Anyone? I'll be heading to the bike store to give it a test ride. These are the bikes that are in my town; Trek, Giant, Specialized, Schwinn, Kona, Santa Cruz. There may be others but I think that is it for Road Bikes.

Originally posted by WARrider
Anyone? I'll be heading to the bike store to give it a test ride. These are the bikes that are in my town; Trek, Giant, Specialized, Schwinn, Kona, Santa Cruz. There may be others but I think that is it for Road Bikes.

It's a good value. Bottom line is to ride all of them in the same price range and find the one that fits and feels best. I chose the Specialized Elite Allez over the Giant because it felt much more comfortable to me.

Problem is my bike stores are small. They don't have that many bikes to ride, but they can order them.

What is your opinion on Ultegra shifters, Rear Der, are they that much better than 105? I'm trying to find the best buy I can for a $1,000 and it seems the Giant has better parts.

I just got back from the bike shop and test rode a OCR 2. To tell you the truth I didn't really like the feel of it. I Also rode a Schwinn Fastback, but I don't plan on buying a Schwinn. I have another local shop that sells treks and they have a Trek 1500. My question to you is would you go witha Trek 1500 or a Giant OCR 1? I'm going to be riding 20-30 miles a day, I won't be racing, but I want a good bike that will fit in my budget($800-1200).

If you are coming from a MTB to a Road Bike, it may be more comfortable to do it in stages.

Consider a Road Bike with flat bars instead of drops, a Giant Perigee for example. If your ride is long you can add aerobars with rests for the elbows.

My first bike was a light weight MTB with slicks, now I have bought a Felt SR81 and will be fitting Aerobars later in the year as my rides get longer. I an not able to ride a drop bar bike at my age, I just don't have the balance or flexibility.

cheers
George

Besides feel for the bike, want should be the main thing I should be looking for. Frame? Fork? Derailleurs? etc. Also is Raleigh a good bike or should I scratch them off my list?