Looking to buy a road bike, help!

jeffdito

Mar 28, 2012
I've owned big box bikes all my life and am looking for a road bike for recreation and occasional summer commuting (4km once a week, 2km a few times a week, only in agreeable weather). My first question is, is a used steel frame bike (~$200-$300) worth the cost considering maintenance and the price for tune ups, or should I be considering a new bicycle (~$600)?

Secondly, of new bicycles, what is recommended? I've got a Performance shop close by and this bicycle seems to be a decent deal http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1094403_-1___400315. There is also a 2010 edition for the same price, different paint job http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product2_10052_10551_1104625_-1.

Thanks all!

well you have 2 options that are both great. a) new bike; means you know what you're getting into. you know what its made of, where its been, and its never been mishandled. sure you'll get a bit pricey, but its an investment for YEARS to come. b) go for a used steel frame. btw are you talking about vintage or modern steel build? if you're going with a light modern contemporary bike you'll most likely get more for you buck, but you'll also be putting more time into it. and honestly, you'll be making it you're "own" bike in a way. Custom, which i prefer.

I'd go with the new one if you don't have the time to look and spend time/money on a good price and bike. And if you want to get riding cause summer is around the corner. If you do have the time, i'd start with the old steel frame/ aluminum if you can get your hands on one. then work your way up. By the time you reach carbon fiber or high class aluminum you'll feel weightless. Cheers!

With the amount of riding you are planning on doing either of the two should be OK.

Take the used bike out for a test ride and if there is anything wrong with it or it is not the right size pass on it.

The new bike can be purchased the correct size and that is the most important feature of any bike.

I'll cast my vote for the new Fuji (ether one). The old steel bikes are fine... even great.. for an aficionado, collector, or someone who enjoys working on bicycles. But it's hard to beat a new modern bicycle for riding comfort and reliability.

Go to the Performance store and see if they have the 2010 Fuji in your size. Take it for a ride and see what you think. If you like it, go back in the store and tell them you'd like to think about it for a little while. Hang out in the store for about 15 minutes and then ask them "if they can sell it for $450 since it is a 2 year old model and they surely don't want to keep it around much longer." They might agree or at least give you some additional discount. This approach would probably work better in the winter than in the spring. If they don't have that model or your size, there might be another good deal on a one of a kind older model in the shop. Otherwise the 2011 is a good deal too. (Nothing has really changed on this level of components in the past couple of years.)

I did this at the end of 2010 on a 2009 Fuji cross bike. I didn't even ask for a discount, but as I couldn't make up my mind on whether I really needed it they knocked 5% more off the "special price" and then as I gave no reaction, they knocked another 5% off. I wasn't working any kind of strategy but simply was taking time to decide.

If you join Team Performance for $30 you will get a 10% credit on future purchases (not on the same day,) so a $600 bike will give you back $60 that you can use on other stuff you need... shoes, pedals, helmet, pump, etc.

I really don't recommend you buying any used bike unless you know how to size it and make sure it is in good shape and a good bike for you. Any significant wear on it will make it less smooth than a new bike. And it might not have modern integrated brake/shifters. Repairs, adjustments and parts (even just tires, tubes, brake pads) will add up if they are needed. I really recommend you learn how to do basic repairs and adjustments yourself. It is easy. Performance used to give free basic adjustments for life on some or all of the bikes they sold. (I can't recall the details and maybe they still offer this.)

Thank you all. I think I'm going to take your advice AlanG. We'll see how deep a discount they'll give me.

jeffdito said:
Thank you all. I think I'm going to take your advice AlanG. We'll see how deep a discount they'll give me.
If you find the bike you want and buy it at Performance, find an LBS to do service and/or a fit. Performance Bicycles isn't known for their quality service or their ability to properly fit a bike. They'll happily just insure that your crotch clears the top tube and then will send you out the door after taking your money.

Originally Posted by alienator .

If you find the bike you want and buy it at Performance, find an LBS to do service and/or a fit. Performance Bicycles isn't known for their quality service or their ability to properly fit a bike. They'll happily just insure that your crotch clears the top tube and then will send you out the door after taking your money.
I bought my Fuji at the local Performance store. And whereas I do like some of the employees.. and I really like my bicycle (along with many other purchases). I have to agree with alienator completely based on my experience with my local Performance shop. As far as size selection and bike fit... I was more-or-less on my own. If you can take a knowledgeable and experienced cyclist with you to help you with your selection... that would be best.

I'm happy you like your new bike.

Yes I should have said that the sales knowledge and service at Performance can be spotty. You can be on your own which is problematic of course. When I looked at a bike there, I turned the cam to open the brake caliper and the salesman did not even know that you could do that to remove the wheel. I was amazed. One of the other guys knew his business and could explain things and fit a bike.

On the other hand, some time ago I brought an older bike in there to get some tools to remove the crank and bottom bracket plus some cone wrenches. The repair tech showed me the tools I needed to buy and explained how to use them. He clearly knew what he was doing, took his time and was very helpful. (I had not purchased a bike from them and he didn't know me at all.) As it was an older bottom bracket, they didn't have one wrench I needed. The tech took out his own wrench and insisted on giving it to me for free. This totally floored me and I try to buy from them when I can... understanding the possible limitations.

As a long time professional photographer, I can say that even in the "best" camera shops, some of the salespeople are ignorant or just blowing smoke. So I assume this can be true in any bike shop too.

One of the great parts (and there are many) about cycling is you don't need to get together a group, team, or even another player in order to cycle. You can have a great workout and/or just have a good time with nothing more than yourself and your bicycle. But cultivating cyclist friendships is both helpful and rewarding all the same. I've been in and out of cycling all my life. Yet.... having a friend and neighbor that is a longtime cyclist was and is a tremendous help. It would be great if you could find a knowledgeable cyclist to take with you to look over your selection. Or at least talk with you about it.

Cycling has become pretty popular in recent years. If you think about it and ask around you may already know other cyclist. Of course everyone has opinions and not everyone agrees on everything... so there is always room for error. Keep shopping, talking, listening, reading, learning, and test riding till you feel comfortable with the purchase your about to make. Be sure not to get so serious that you forget to enjoy the process. Spent a few extra bucks and start out with a helmet... don't put that purchase off till later.