Looking to purchase new wheels

Scott'sTrek1000

Jul 28, 2004
I am looking to purchase new wheels for my 04 Trek 1000. Some idiot (in a car)pulled in front of me and decided to suddenly turn. What are some good ones out there or some to stay away from? And what do all the different #'s mean?

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
I am looking to purchase new wheels for my 04 Trek 1000. Some idiot (in a car)pulled in front of me and decided to suddenly turn. What are some good ones out there or some to stay away from? And what do all the different #'s mean?
You're going to get a ton of free advice on this forum ... including mine! The real question is how much are you willing to spend?

.....or how much did you hit the dumb sh*t who crashed into you up for??

Scott'sTrek1000 said:

Let me guess, he overtook you then made a quick right hand turn in front of you and you couldn't slow fast enough? I hate when that happens. Although I have always been lucky enough to have had enough room to slow in time. It's just that I think the stress level takes 6 months off my life everytime it happens.

Based on what you are riding now. I would recomend Mavic Cosmos or something simular in price: about $300us

http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/road-prod_fiche?product.id=52&lg=uk

Scott'sTrek1000 said:

Ultegra with Velocity Aerohead rims; OCR in rear, with DT Competition Double Butted spokes. Like the ones available for under $200 @ URL:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7109064286>

I have Elites that are bullet proof but if i was getting new ones i'd get the Velomax Curcuits.

shokhead said:
I have Elites that are bullet proof but if i was getting new ones i'd get the Velomax Curcuits.
You can do way better than elites for alot less money. A trek 1000 doesn't need anything better than 105 or ultegra hubs and open pro rims, or a similar option as Dave suggest.

boudreaux said:
You can do way better than elites for alot less money. A trek 1000 doesn't need anything better than 105 or ultegra hubs and open pro rims, or a similar option as Dave suggest.

You can get 105 / Veloce hubs with open pro's built by your LBS for a little less than the cheapest of Mavic's factory built 'road race' wheels, the Cosmos.
How do they compare as regards quality (assuming the hand builts are built by someone who knows what they're doing)?

I use Rolf Vigor which retail for around $800. Velomax are also great wheels. Or for a great set of everyday, inexspensive wheel set try Neuvation. Hand made, somewhat light and comparable to Mavic Ksyrium's! Well worth the money. I have a set for training.

www.neuvationcycling.com

"Bottom of the barel"...........THAT HURTS, MAN

Are Velomax Spartacus Velocity any good? Good enough to put on a new bike when I get one, if the wheels that come on it aren't better, that is...?

boudreaux said:

He asked for good ones or ones to stay away from,i gave him 2 good ones and its ok to put those on a lower end bike.

shokhead said:
He asked for good ones or ones to stay away from,i gave him 2 good ones and its ok to put those on a lower end bike.

Technically it is ok to put any wheel on any bike, but does it really make sense to put a $550 wheel set on a $600 bike? I agree with boudreaux.

If he upgrades bikes, he will get better wheels on it anyhow so I think he should be looking at something 'bombproof' like the Open pros or Cosmos that have 32 spokes so he could use them as training wheels on that newer bike.

jitteringjr said:
Technically it is ok to put any wheel on any bike, but does it really make sense to put a $550 wheel set on a $600 bike? I agree with boudreaux.

If he upgrades bikes, he will get better wheels on it anyhow so I think he should be looking at something 'bombproof' like the Open pros or Cosmos that have 32 spokes so he could use them as training wheels on that newer bike.

The best deal I found on the web is a set of Record hubs laced to open pros, 32 spokes for $300 per set. This would be a strong training wheel and still reasonably light. If properly tensioned, they should be bomb proof for anyone under 190lbs.
check out performancebike.com

OrbeaMike said:
The best deal I found on the web is a set of Record hubs laced to open pros, 32 spokes for $300 per set. This would be a strong training wheel and still reasonably light. If properly tensioned, they should be bomb proof for anyone under 190lbs.
check out performancebike.com

That is great advice for someone like me who just switched to campy, but his Trek has Shimano and can't use Record hubs.

I just paid $300 for Open Pros with Chorus hubs. Wish I would have seen that deal a day ago.

jitteringjr said:

If he would have asked that,heck no he should not put wheelset the same price as his bike,i'm just answering his question. There are some who really like there bike so much they dont want another and will keep it for awhile and then i'd to spend that much. His choice.

shokhead said:
If he would have asked that,heck no he should not put wheelset the same price as his bike....

I guess you missed this in his first post then:

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
I am looking to purchase new wheels for my 04 Trek 1000.

:rolleyes:

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
"Bottom of the barel"...........THAT HURTS, MAN

Are Velomax Spartacus Velocity any good? Good enough to put on a new bike when I get one, if the wheels that come on it aren't better, that is...?
Reality bites.

Just to let you know that not everyone has $ so help him instead of being arrogant. He might be entering the sport and just wanting advice, and not to be scared or insulted by a self proclaimed bike guru.

Look at Campy proton's (shimano version), the neuvation M28's, or some A-class 300's or 320's.