Lost & Found (Canberra)

From the owner of the Saddle Bag.

Thanks alot for the find, would have made my ride in the morning interesting as I hate putting the tubes and stuff in my back pockets. Might be time for a new saddle bag though.

BT Humble wrote:

> Bean Long wrote:
> > The knee is getting better. Stretching every day to help things loosen
> > up. I also need to stretch just before getting on the bike and just
> > after. Still in need of a good bike fit to ensure the problem doesn't
> > persist due to poor posture or position on the bike. Slowly coming back
> > to it and hope to be doing ~300 a week in the near future.

> 300km a week? I'm doing about 160km, and it's getting easy. I should
> probably find myself a new Gordon-Woden route with a second big hill
> and an extra 10km or so on it.

Just add in Mt Stromlo and you'll be right.

Patrick Turner.

Theo Bekkers wrote:

> BT Humble wrote:
> > Bean Long wrote:
> >> Message from the interested party
> >>
> >> "Did it happen to contain - 2 tubes, 3 yellow tire leavers and a co2
> >> cartridge. If so its mine
> >>
> >> 0400966695
> >>
> >> James"

> > Din ding ding! We have a winnah! :-D
> >
> > (And what's more, he only lives about 2 blocks up the street from me).

> Geez, what's the odds on that? 10 million bicycles in Australia and you
> managed to find someone in your street on this forum.
>
> Theo

Surely 'tiz amazin.

I thought hardly any of the hundreds maybe thousands of active cyclists
in ACT
would read this group...

But once passed the same guy going in the opposite direction 3 times
while out on a 90k ride. We didn't speak
as we passed, but it very improbable.

Patrick Turner.

jcjordan wrote:

> From the owner of the Saddle Bag.
>
> Thanks alot for the find, would have made my ride in the morning
> interesting as I hate putting the tubes and stuff in my back pockets.
> Might be time for a new saddle bag though.
>
> --
> jcjordan

I have a Brooks leather saddle on my bikes,
and I keep 2 tyre levers and puncture kit
in an old sock rolled in on itself, then secured
with a foot strap around the seat wire supports.
Nothing rattles or works loose, and if it gets wet, it dries out quick.
I have never lost anything in 110,000kms.

I don't like anything in my jersey pockets
except glasses, so i can see the punctures I'm fixing,
and $10 for a hot chocolate and fudge at Cafe Essen in town on the way
home.

During the last 6,000 km, I've only had 1 puncture
with Vittoria Randonneur 28mm tyres, after wearing it well into the red
rubber.
I broke a few spokes when I began these km because I started at 95kG,
but now at
77kg, I rarely break one, so I don't even bother to take a spoke key
with me.
I just keep the wheels well trued at home. Not just sideways, but
also make sure the hills and dales in the rim are adjusted out.

If a rim is perfectly round, the spokes must all be about the same
tension.

One should not have to carry a huge lot of tools when one is commuting
or doing a few long rides a week.

Last time I rode to Thredbo over 3 days in about 1990
I just had a flat triangular lightweight bag I sewed up tied in the
inside
of the frame triangle. I wouldn't like to use a saddle bag, unless I was
on a motorcycle.

Patrick Turner.

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 01:47:26 GMT, Patrick Turner
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I thought hardly any of the hundreds maybe thousands of active cyclists
>in ACT
>would read this group...

Sarcasm? What other group would we read.
I work with one, race with the other.
On that, I really should be getting the bike and me ready.

On Aug 18, 12:06 pm, Aeek <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 01:47:26 GMT, Patrick Turner
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I thought hardly any of the hundreds maybe thousands of active cyclists
> >in ACT
> >would read this group...

> Sarcasm? What other group would we read.
> I work with one, race with the other.
> On that, I really should be getting the bike and me ready.

And you used to live next door to two others. Till they threw us out...

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:56:33 +1000
TimC <[email protected]> wrote:

> I just got my tax back. There is more than enough there (if there
> wasn't already in my bank account. Gosh I love being a public
> servant) to buy some new bling. I just have to work out how to buy it
> then ship it home. Heck, I could buy a motorbike and obtain a license
> and go over to the dark side with the money ATO gave me. If only I
> weren't so lazy.

No, recumbents are the dark side. Motorcycles are in another
universe....

Zebee

BT Humble wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>> BT Humble wrote:
>>> Din ding ding! We have a winnah! :-D

>>> (And what's more, he only lives about 2 blocks up the street from
>>> me).

>> Geez, what's the odds on that? 10 million bicycles in Australia and
>> you managed to find someone in your street on this forum.

> Considering that I found his gear on my commuting route, I'd say that
> the odds were greatly improved! Not *that* many people live within
> 8km of my house, after all. ;-)

My amazement was that someone on your commute route is a reader of this
forum.

Theo

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> BT Humble wrote:
>> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>>> Geez, what's the odds on that? 10 million bicycles in Australia and
>>> you managed to find someone in your street on this forum.

>> Considering that I found his gear on my commuting route, I'd say that
>> the odds were greatly improved! Not *that* many people live within
>> 8km of my house, after all. ;-)

> My amazement was that someone on your commute route is a reader of this
> forum.
>
> Theo

Well, it went something like this...

BT advertised his find > I read it on a.b > I passed it on to Canberra
Roadies > jcjordan read my msg > jcjordan and BT got in contact >
jcjordan replied to a.b... small world isn't it! especially if you ride
a bike in canberra!!

--
Bean
Remove "yourfinger" before replying