General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Low Carb Bread Recipes

Started by Ann · · Last activity · 107 posts · 5,361 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
23 August 2005
Last activity
15 September 2005
Original author
Ann
Posts
107
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,361
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 101–107 of 107
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Max Hollywood Harris said:
    Doug Freyburger said:
    Quoted message said:


    Yeah, I wonder about the logic of that. Yes, prior to the invention
    of agriculture, man probably did just eat vegetables, berries, and
    meats. However, at that point man also had a life expectancy of like,
    30 years.

    This misses a point. Life expectancy went *down* with the
    advent of agriculture. Before agriculture all of humanity
    lived in hunter-gatherer societies and some such exist to
    this day. They die from accidents, infectious diseases,
    injuries. They do not get degenerative diseases ranging
    from rotting teeth through cancer. The reason agricultural
    societies bloomed even though they died younger is the extra
    food meant extra fertility and the ability to survive in
    crowds.

    OTOH, one might argue that they didn't get degenerative diseases
    because they didn't live long enough to develop them or they didn't
    have technology/terminology to know they had alzheimers or ALS.

    I don't disagree that life expectancy went down with ag society. But I
    think that suggesting that people who lived to 30-35 and died without
    degeneration weren't suceptible to them is not entirely on the mark.
    Too many variables to suggest causality.

    -Hollywood

    Obesity sure did not happen until we started growing grains.....
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Doug Freyburger said:

    Grain was such a rare addition to the human diet that
    to this day abotu 1-in-130ish are intolerant of one
    type of grain or another.

    Try 1 in 20. 5% of the american population is wheat intolerant.
    Read that in an educational brochure at the VA hospital ER one day.
    It was a brochure on Coeliac disease.

    That's a hell of a lot of people. ;-)

    And, those who are wheat intolerant are usually sensitive to Barley and
    Oats as well.

    This is probably why there are so many wealthy gastroenterologists,
    and why the market for over the counter digestive aids is so well
    developed.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Doug Freyburger said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:
    Bob (this one) said:

    Humans don't have a "natural" diet. We're opportunistic omnivores. We
    eat live things, dead things, things other creatures have killed and

    But you *did* just describe the natural human diet. Some
    percentage mixture of animal products and fresh vegitable
    products where the percentage doesn't hit zero in either
    direction.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    some few of us drink coffee that's been crapped out of a weasel...

    You've peaked my curiosity. Coffee that's been crapped out of a
    weasel?????

    It's actually a lemur not a weasel so every once in a while
    I'll see it listed as crapped out of a monkey.

    There is a type of coffee from Madagasqar where a type of forest
    lemur eats the whole berries. The berries have a coating that
    is not seen by folks who only see the beans, and it is that
    fruit coating the lemurs want. They swallow the fruit whole and
    do not digest the beans just the fruit. The result is a bean
    whose coffee is extremely mild. I've had it but I prefer the
    stronger styles of coffee.

    It still sounds gross. ;-)

    Personally, I prefer Hawaiian Kona.

    Quoted message said:


    Exactly how someone figured out to roast the beans that have
    been processed through the digestive system of a lemur and
    rejected as undigstible seeds I'll never know. No matter the
    Babylon 5 jokes about the Pak'mahra scavenger species, it is
    humans that will actually try to eat anything.

    <smiles> Thanks for the explanation.

    If you want a fascinating hypothesis as to how humans learned to eat
    certain items, read a book called "Animals and Hallucinogens".

    That book explains why the Laplanders drank Reindeer urine.....

    Bon Apetit'!

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  4. You get over it airhead. Go ahead and click the last link on that long
    list of links and have your computer go into a tail spin.

    tinyurls are a risk. You don't think so? Good for you. You just keep on
    trukin...

    Quoted message said:


    On the "I don't open tinyurl links": Get over it. Not everyone is out
    to get you. In fact, the vast majority are not. I've posted here, on
    and off since mid-2002 without anyone's computer blowing up as a result
    of anything I did. Or you could just google "low carb bread machine"
    and be done with it.

    Sigh, you try to do a favor...

    Hollywood Max Harris

  5. You think everyone has put their recipes on the internet? I haven't.
    And I therefore asked to see if some would get posted. I know how to
    google you googlehead.

    I also know how to dogpile, lycos, yahoo, msn, shall i go on? And
    again, I don't click tinyurls or other url shortcut programs.

    Ann

    Max Hollywood Harris said:

    But deep down, the question is one that could be
    answered with a little googling, or even google searching this group.
    IMHO, the marketplace of ideas can answer the question as well, if not
    better than, the current group of posters in the community (no offense
    intended).

  6. good low carb bread is a double oxymoron.

    i

    Ann said:

    Anyone have any good low carb bread machine recipes?
    I tried this one at:
    http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-bread01.html
    But I thought it tasted terrible. (My husband actually liked it
    however.) I'm looking for more to try.

    Ann

    --
    223/174.8/180

  7. Ignoramus9118 wrote:
    :: good low carb bread is a double oxymoron.

    True, but as a cheese holder, any really low-carb bread be good

    ::
    :: i
    ::
    :: On 22 Aug 2005 19:06:17 -0700, Ann <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ::: Anyone have any good low carb bread machine recipes?
    ::: I tried this one at:
    ::: http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-bread01.html
    ::: But I thought it tasted terrible. (My husband actually liked it
    ::: however.) I'm looking for more to try.
    :::
    ::: Ann
    :::
    ::
    ::
    :: --
    :: 223/174.8/180

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.