Low-end Conti Ultra Sports any good?

Jun 6, 2006
Are the Continental Ultra Sport street tires flat resistant enough to consider using on the street where there might be bits of glass? The Continental site seems to state that only one model of Ultra Sport has flat protection and it's not my size. Not sure if I have that right.

How about the 26TPI basic Zaffiros?

I have tried the search feature to no avail.

First, I have never ridden on or owned Conti Ultra Sports. But in the past I owned both Conti Sport, and Super Sport tires, both of which are lower end wire bead general riding type tires. I never had one last nearly long enough to wear their tred. They were in 3 cases destroyed by side wall snags, and in one case a complete tread cut through. I never had this happen with ANY other brand of tires. With all due respects to the many riders who compete on and train and ride on higher end Conti's which I have no knowledge of at all, I think that Continental makes very inferior low end wire beads. I never buy Continentals any more. As to alternatives on the low end: Vittoria Zaffiro's are stout long wearing tires, good flat resistance, that handle well with slightly higher rolling resistance. The down side is that they are built somewhat tight, and can be very difficult to mount on some rims. Specialized Tri Sports were fine for about 1000miles then came the flats, and the tread cuts. Gave up on them after a 3 week period when I had 5 flats and replace 3 tubes and the rear tire. Now I am using Vredestein Ricorsos, being sold at low prices and like them a lot, but don't have enough miles to predict tire life. So far so good on the flats. Good luck in your search to find the perfect tire, I'm still looking!

p38lightning said:
First, I have never ridden on or owned Conti Ultra Sports. But in the past I owned both Conti Sport, and Super Sport tires...They were in 3 cases destroyed by side wall snags
Are those styles skinwall?

Conti Ultra Sports came on my Fuji Team Pro. Lasted me about 1500 miles, with maybe 3 or so flats.

ToffoIsMe said:
Conti Ultra Sports came on my Fuji Team Pro. Lasted me about 1500 miles, with maybe 3 or so flats.
Thank you for the reply. Do you mind if I ask whether they were the 700X23C, black Ultra Sports with the "Continental Safety System"? I don't know if I am reading it right but the Conti site makes it look like that's the only Ultra Sport with puncture protection.

Performance Bike shops often uses that model on the bikes they sell. They're an okay temporary tire until you decide which better quality tire fits your needs. I live in a rural part of Oregon and have to deal with some rough roads. I've found that Michelin's Krylion Carbons have held up well. No flats or cuts in about the last 1000 miles. They retail for about $45 each, but I found a pair on Ebay for $50 + shipping. Good luck!

garage sale GT said:
Thank you for the reply. Do you mind if I ask whether they were the 700X23C, black Ultra Sports with the "Continental Safety System"? I don't know if I am reading it right but the Conti site makes it look like that's the only Ultra Sport with puncture protection.
700x23, no continental safety system.

p38lightning said:
With all due respects to the many riders who compete on and train and ride on higher end Conti's which I have no knowledge of at all, I think that Continental makes very inferior low end wire beads.
Their higher end tires also have crappy sidewalls. I would have thought their lower end tires would have heavier and more durable sides. Guess not.

garage sale GT said:
Are those styles skinwall?
If by skinwalls you mean the type of construction in which the sidewalls are not rubberized, the answeris no. They had the look of gumwalls with a lot less rubber.