Magura disk brake problem

cmtrain

May 15, 2005
Hi, I'm having a problem with my front Magura Julie disk brake. I think one pad can not be returning fully as one pad is constantly rubbing on the disk. After setting the caliper on the sliders to be exactly in the right place there is no rub but after a ride (or even just taking the wheel out and replacing it) the brake is binding again. The lever comes slightly closer to the bars on the back than the front brake. (which works fine) I expect a bit of rub but this is too much. The brake is less than a year old and I had the problem almost from new, it's getting worse now though.
Any suggenstions would be much appreciated.
Thanks

cmtrain said:
Hi, I'm having a problem with my front Magura Julie disk brake. I think one pad can not be returning fully as one pad is constantly rubbing on the disk. After setting the caliper on the sliders to be exactly in the right place there is no rub but after a ride (or even just taking the wheel out and replacing it) the brake is binding again. The lever comes slightly closer to the bars on the back than the front brake. (which works fine) I expect a bit of rub but this is too much. The brake is less than a year old and I had the problem almost from new, it's getting worse now though.
Any suggenstions would be much appreciated.
Thanks

I don't know much about hydrolics but on my mechanicals there is a screw on the arm that returns the pad - it's spring loaded so if I adjust it, it adjusts the speed at which the pad returns to its original state. Does that make sense?

good luck.

^Unfortunately there is no adjustment.

I've been running my Julie's for a month or two now. The initial setup regarding caliper alignment was critical to get noise-free rotation. I ended up making my own spacers by sanding down washers, trial and error. Sand some then measure. I went down by ~0.003 - 0.005 at first then by the thousandth when it got real close. Maybe overly critical, but I've got beautifully quiet brakes.

Oh, and my rear lever is also moving more, and I seem to have a little less power on that end. That master cylinder has also leaked a little bit from the day I took it out of the box. I may need to look into rebuilding it. Or maybe there is a rubber cap under the top cap that's leaking. Anyway I need to look into it but it works for now and I procrastinate.
Cheers

I also have a pair of Magura Julies on my bike. I get rubbing / dragging sounds from time to time after I've activated them but they usually just go away after a while or after I use the brakes again. The seemingly dragging doesn't slow me down or anything tho and the ride remains pretty smoove, I guess the noise can be a bit irritating at times...

FWIW, my front lever comes slightly closer than the rear lever but I still find the stopping power of the front way better than the rear (which makes sense in terms of bicycles where the front brake should provide more stopping power than the rear, you can read that on sheldon brown's site).