Making the podium at both Flanders and Roubaix (will Boonen be given a chance to win?)

note: Johan Museeuw is a Fleming. He's Flemish and that's very different from being a Belgian, which
is something that doesn't exist. You're a Fleming (speaks Dutch) or a Walloon (speaks French),
not a Belgian.

"Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Have you lost your mind. Johan is the one and only leader for Flanders and Paris-Roubaix. Come on,
> where is the logic in Museeuw riding for Boonen in the race where nobody else got better results
> than him (Flanders) or in the race where there's only Roger De Vlaeminck ahead of him (Roubaix)?
> I'm sure Tom Boonen will be a protected rider, but when things are getting serious and when it's
> necessary, Boonen will sacrifice his chances on Museeuw's demand. This doesn't mean that Tom
> doesn't have the chance to try something himself. But when the Lion of Flanders feels great,
> there's nothing to do about him.

Time will tell. Look for VDB's dog to win Flanders if VDB shows form at Het Volk. Rumor has it
that VDB's Vet is betting his house on VDB for the Ronde.

Brian Lafferty

And what are the people who are born and raised in Brussels and the surrounding officially
bi-lingual communes?

Is Merckx a Fleming or a Walloon? He was raised in an area that generally speaks Flemish, but his
marriage performance was conducted in French. It has been said that he is not fully comfortable
speaking either ...

in article [email protected], Kenny at [email protected] wrote on
01/27/2003 01:04 PM:

> note: Johan Museeuw is a Fleming. He's Flemish and that's very different from being a Belgian,
> which is something that doesn't exist. You're a Fleming (speaks Dutch) or a Walloon (speaks
> French), not a Belgian.

dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

easyrider <[email protected]@mysite.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Thanks Dave.
>
> Riding in the role of teammate makes him a GREATER champion. He would be a champion anyway,
> based on his palmares, but doing the professional thing, when so many other riders fail to,
> shows his class.
>
> And comparing this to wife beating is a false analogy and it is a classic logical fallacy.

Why does everyone think Boonen will be the greatest thing because of one result he had at the
hardest race in the world? I remember some others having good results at PR never to be heard from
again. Boonen "could" be great, but he's not there yet. The boy still needs to develop. He isn't
going to win a single classic this year. VDB's dog on the other hand, will be right next to Rumsas'
wife's mother in most races this season.

Tom

"Tom Arsenault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> easyrider <[email protected]@mysite.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Thanks Dave.
> >
> > Riding in the role of teammate makes him a GREATER champion. He would be a champion anyway,
> > based on his palmares, but doing the professional thing, when so many other riders fail to,
> > shows his class.
> >
> > And comparing this to wife beating is a false analogy and it is a classic logical fallacy.
>
> Why does everyone think Boonen will be the greatest thing because of one result he had at the
> hardest race in the world? I remember some others having good results at PR never to be heard from
> again. Boonen "could" be great, but he's not there yet. The boy still needs to develop. He isn't
> going to win a single classic this year. VDB's dog on the other hand, will be right next to
> Rumsas' wife's mother in most races this season.

He's got the talent. He finished high in almost all the Belgian races he did over the summer,
essentially riding by himself. The reason he wanted to leave Postal so badly is he wants to do
Belgian-style races all year and Postal abandons that schedule after the Classics. That didn't seem
to translated clearly in the English cycling media.

It is very difficult to do what he did riding by himself. The riders I know who raced against him
don't think he's getting hyped, they think it's legit.

[email protected] (Tom Arsenault) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Why does everyone think Boonen will be the greatest thing because of one result he had at the
> hardest race in the world? I remember some others having good results at PR never to be heard from
> again. Boonen "could" be great, but he's not there yet. The boy still needs to develop. He isn't
> going to win a single classic this year. VDB's dog on the other hand, will be right next to
> Rumsas' wife's mother in most races this season.
>
> Tom

Because he repeatedly laid the smack down in the u-23 race in years past as well.

news:<[email protected]>...

> He's got the talent. He finished high in almost all the Belgian races he did over the summer,
> essentially riding by himself. The reason he wanted to leave Postal so badly is he wants to do
> Belgian-style races all year and Postal abandons that schedule after the Classics. That didn't
> seem to translated clearly in the English cycling media.
>
> It is very difficult to do what he did riding by himself. The riders I know who raced against him
> don't think he's getting hyped, they think it's legit.

Apologies for the shameless self promotion (it's at least on topic), but Boonen did discuss this a
bit in the following interview:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jan03/tdu03/?id=news/jan26boonen

cheers, Jeff

Dan wrote:

> Because he repeatedly laid the smack down in the u-23 race in years past as well.

Because he was on training rides with Henry Chang in California before anyone knew him.

I read that article and it was interesting but Boonen sounded chillingly like a certain VDB.

"Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > He's got the talent. He finished high in almost all the Belgian
races he did
> > over the summer, essentially riding by himself. The reason he
wanted to
> > leave Postal so badly is he wants to do Belgian-style races all
year and
> > Postal abandons that schedule after the Classics. That didn't seem
> > translated clearly in the English cycling media.
> >
> > It is very difficult to do what he did riding by himself. The
riders I know
> > who raced against him don't think he's getting hyped, they think
it's legit.

> Apologies for the shameless self promotion (it's at least on topic), but Boonen did discuss this a
> bit in the following interview:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jan03/tdu03/?id=news/jan26boonen

> cheers, Jeff

"Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<BA5B5CCC.227CE%[email protected]>...
> And what are the people who are born and raised in Brussels and the surrounding officially
> bi-lingual communes?

Old people who were born and raised in Brussels and still live there speak a mix of Dutch and
French. It's a really cool dialect. I really mean people above 50. Cause Brussels is really becoming
a ghetto for immigrants. It's a really dirty city with high crime. Belgian people move away from
there. Because of the immigrants who only speak french and because of the fact that the younger
belgian people who still live there only speak french, you can't explain yourself in Dutch no more.
Only French. The cities arround Brussels aren't officially bi-lingual. Those cities are originally
dutch or french. But because the french speaking come and live in flemish villages, those villages
become french too. The reason is that Walloonsn who are french-speaking don't learn dutch. In fact
they get "facilities". Those facilities are services from the local government so that they can use
french for administrative purposes. The result is that they don't learn dutch at all. Belgian people
are supposed to be bi-lingual. Every flemish can explain himself in french (some very well some
rather poor, but they can) but only a minority of the walloons is able to say a few words in ducth.
Even the walloon ministers of the belgian government can hardly speak dutch.

> Is Merckx a Fleming or a Walloon? He was raised in an area that generally speaks Flemish, but his
> marriage performance was conducted in French. It has been said that he is not fully comfortable
> speaking either ...

Merckx was born in a flemish little village near brussels. His native language is dutch. But
because he lived near brussels he learned to speak french from a young age. You can't really say
he's flemish, but he's definitely not a walloon. He's much more flemish then he is Walloon but to
really define him you can say he is a "Brusselaar". That's what what belgian people in brussels are
called. Those people speak dutch and french. He is truely a real belgian because he speaks both
languages without any problems. It's true that his wedding was conducted in french, which led to an
indignant reaction of the flemish people. But i don't know the reason. But he speaks both languages
that's for sure.

> in article [email protected], Kenny at [email protected] wrote
> on 01/27/2003 01:04 PM:
>
> > note: Johan Museeuw is a Fleming. He's Flemish and that's very different from being a Belgian,
> > which is something that doesn't exist. You're a Fleming (speaks Dutch) or a Walloon
> > (speaks French), not a Belgian.
>
> --
>
> Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
> bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee
> why you ti ay aitch aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
> double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

Kenny, I read an article the other day that said that the overwhelming majority of babies being born
in Belgium now are of ethnic Arab origin. They had a list of the most common babies names last year
and the top 5 boys names were all Arabic and the top 5 girls names were also Arabic.

Is there any truth to that do you think?

> [...]
not a
> > > Belgian.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
> > bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee
> > why you ti ay aitch aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash
double-you
> > double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

news:<[email protected]>...
> Kenny, I read an article the other day that said that the overwhelming majority of babies being
> born in Belgium now are of ethnic Arab origin. They had a list of the most common babies names
> last year and the top 5 boys names were all Arabic and the top 5 girls names were also Arabic.
>
> Is there any truth to that do you think?

I don't beleive that. Every year the most popular names of babies being born in that year are
published in the newspapers. But I've never read arabic names like Achmed or Mohammed in the top ten
of the most popular names. If I'm not mistaken the last years names like Thomas, Kevin, Emma and
Lisa were chosen the most. So I don't think the source of that article wasn't checked well. I can
add that the birth rate in Belgium is very low. It dropped an end below 2 children per family. So
within 10 years a high amount of the Belgian population will be grey. This is the result of the
babyboom after WW2 in the 50's. But because the birth rate is much lower now, the active part of the
population will be less in number (in ten years) that than the people who retire then (those born in
the 50's). This will result in serious problems about paying pensions to the retired people.

Kenny