General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Marathon + weights? Or impossible?

Started by Deb · · Last activity · 112 posts · 2,544 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
9 November 2005
Last activity
19 November 2005
Original author
Deb
Posts
112
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,544
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 101–112 of 112
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "MrRobottow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    WooferBearATL said:

    LOL! I was thinking the same thing.

    The AIDS boy "thinking"? Not likely.


    Excuse me? Would you like to explain that comment?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've seen one marathon runner that was a bodybuilder. And, he did good
    but
    did not finish very high in the standings.

    Really? One? Wow, it's good to see you based your opinion on hard
    evidence.

    Please explain again please?

  2. "Bully" <neil_simpson@spam-me-not_btinternet.com> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bully said:
    MrRobottow said:

    On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 18:52:56 -0000, "Bully"
    <neil_simpson@spam-me-not_btinternet.com> wrote:

    > See here for what distance running will do for your legs:
    > http://www.paularadcliffe.com/gallery/action3.php

    Yes idiot, she's one of the worlds fastest, now go read what I wrote
    again.

    The idiot is the person who stated " 5 hours will be a reasonable but
    unlikely goal."

    Please disregard my last response. I've just read a bunch of your posts
    and realised you are a bitter, twisted troll.

    --
    Bully

    And obviously bipoplar. When I saw Rob questioning who this ass was, I
    should have known the guy was a freak.

    Quoted message said:

    Protein bars: http://www.proteinbars.co.uk
    Supplements: http://www.myprotein.co.uk - use my discount code, MP4858,
    to get 5% off.

    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
    enough people to make it worth the effort. Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

  3. Dally said:
    Joe Humble said:
    Deb said:

    Dally wrote:>

    >You hear this, Deb? We're not saying you can't do it. You can do it.
    >We're just wondering why a perfectly sane person would choose to do so.
    > It's not good for you.
    >
    >Can you explain?
    >
    >Dally

    1. Was immersed in "running culture" from 1980 - 1995 while my father
    and his brother and cousins and friends all ran marathons and races so
    it's always been in the back of my mind
    2. Am getting bored and jaded with weightlifting that I have been
    doing for 20 years - motivation is pretty much gone, though I still go
    do it primarily out of fear of dropping my numbers
    3. Went to NYC Marathon this past Sunday to cheer on boyfriend's
    brother, who ran in 3:59:36 - hustled to see him in 3 locations and had
    a chance to observe LOTS of runners as we waited - the inspiration was
    fantastic
    4. everyone I know who has ever run it has described it in the most
    glowing terms imaginable and they always try to go back and do it
    again.
    5. I'm coming up on 40 and feeling weird and restless about that and
    looking for "something" to focus on

    As I was walking to work today I saw a pretty girl and thought "ya
    know, I'd like to do a prostitute in my office before I die". Not
    every idea that pops into our head is actually a good idea.

    Yup. Just so.

    Okay, Deb, so far the only person who is encouraging you in this is the
    resident insane troll who claims to run 9 miles a day (because if he
    only runs 6 miles he'll be sore.) And he's just pushing your buttons
    trying to double-dare-you. Seriously, his mental age is about 12.

    I think you should go to the Oracle at Stumptuous. Ask Mistress Krista.
    She'll email you back if you contact her through her site. (Note to
    trolls: she'll email DEB back. She won't email YOU back. She's way,
    way, WAY wiser than me.)

    So are most of the population of the planet, including animals and a
    good selection of plant life.

  4. Dally said:
    Joe Humble said:
    Deb said:

    Dally wrote:>

    >You hear this, Deb? We're not saying you can't do it. You can do it.
    >We're just wondering why a perfectly sane person would choose to do so.
    > It's not good for you.
    >
    >Can you explain?
    >
    >Dally

    1. Was immersed in "running culture" from 1980 - 1995 while my father
    and his brother and cousins and friends all ran marathons and races so
    it's always been in the back of my mind
    2. Am getting bored and jaded with weightlifting that I have been
    doing for 20 years - motivation is pretty much gone, though I still go
    do it primarily out of fear of dropping my numbers
    3. Went to NYC Marathon this past Sunday to cheer on boyfriend's
    brother, who ran in 3:59:36 - hustled to see him in 3 locations and had
    a chance to observe LOTS of runners as we waited - the inspiration was
    fantastic
    4. everyone I know who has ever run it has described it in the most
    glowing terms imaginable and they always try to go back and do it
    again.
    5. I'm coming up on 40 and feeling weird and restless about that and
    looking for "something" to focus on

    As I was walking to work today I saw a pretty girl and thought "ya
    know, I'd like to do a prostitute in my office before I die". Not
    every idea that pops into our head is actually a good idea.

    Yup. Just so.

    Okay, Deb, so far the only person who is encouraging you in this is the
    resident insane troll who claims to run 9 miles a day (because if he
    only runs 6 miles he'll be sore.) And he's just pushing your buttons
    trying to double-dare-you. Seriously, his mental age is about 12.

    I think you should go to the Oracle at Stumptuous. Ask Mistress Krista.
    She'll email you back if you contact her through her site. (Note to
    trolls: she'll email DEB back. She won't email YOU back. She's way,
    way, WAY wiser than me.)

    So are most of the population of the planet, including animals and a
    good selection of plant life.

  5. Dally said:
    Joe Humble said:
    Deb said:

    Dally wrote:>

    >You hear this, Deb? We're not saying you can't do it. You can do it.
    >We're just wondering why a perfectly sane person would choose to do so.
    > It's not good for you.
    >
    >Can you explain?
    >
    >Dally

    1. Was immersed in "running culture" from 1980 - 1995 while my father
    and his brother and cousins and friends all ran marathons and races so
    it's always been in the back of my mind
    2. Am getting bored and jaded with weightlifting that I have been
    doing for 20 years - motivation is pretty much gone, though I still go
    do it primarily out of fear of dropping my numbers
    3. Went to NYC Marathon this past Sunday to cheer on boyfriend's
    brother, who ran in 3:59:36 - hustled to see him in 3 locations and had
    a chance to observe LOTS of runners as we waited - the inspiration was
    fantastic
    4. everyone I know who has ever run it has described it in the most
    glowing terms imaginable and they always try to go back and do it
    again.
    5. I'm coming up on 40 and feeling weird and restless about that and
    looking for "something" to focus on

    As I was walking to work today I saw a pretty girl and thought "ya
    know, I'd like to do a prostitute in my office before I die". Not
    every idea that pops into our head is actually a good idea.

    Yup. Just so.

    Okay, Deb, so far the only person who is encouraging you in this is the
    resident insane troll who claims to run 9 miles a day (because if he
    only runs 6 miles he'll be sore.) And he's just pushing your buttons
    trying to double-dare-you. Seriously, his mental age is about 12.

    I think you should go to the Oracle at Stumptuous. Ask Mistress Krista.
    She'll email you back if you contact her through her site. (Note to
    trolls: she'll email DEB back. She won't email YOU back. She's way,
    way, WAY wiser than me.)

    So are most of the population of the planet, including animals and a
    good selection of plant life.

  6. WooferBearATL said:

    Excuse me? Would you like to explain that comment?

    If you didn't have dementia, you'd understand it, you buttburglar.

    Quoted message said:

    Please explain again please?

    One guy doesn't do well, so it must be true. You moron.

  7. WooferBearATL said:

    Rob, don't waste your time with this guy. He's not worth it.

    Rob, don't waste your time with "AIDS boy" he was AIDS induced
    dementia.

  8. "MrRobottow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    WooferBearATL said:

    Excuse me? Would you like to explain that comment?

    If you didn't have dementia, you'd understand it, you buttburglar.

    Quoted message said:

    Please explain again please?

    One guy doesn't do well, so it must be true. You moron.

    Uhhh, that makes a lot of sense. You're an ass.

  9. On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:39:18 +1000, "David" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Joe Humble" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Deb said:


    Dally wrote:>
    > You hear this, Deb? We're not saying you can't do it. You can do it.
    > We're just wondering why a perfectly sane person would choose to do so.
    > It's not good for you.
    >
    > Can you explain?
    >
    > Dally

    1. Was immersed in "running culture" from 1980 - 1995 while my father
    and his brother and cousins and friends all ran marathons and races so
    it's always been in the back of my mind
    2. Am getting bored and jaded with weightlifting that I have been
    doing for 20 years - motivation is pretty much gone, though I still go
    do it primarily out of fear of dropping my numbers
    3. Went to NYC Marathon this past Sunday to cheer on boyfriend's
    brother, who ran in 3:59:36 - hustled to see him in 3 locations and had
    a chance to observe LOTS of runners as we waited - the inspiration was
    fantastic
    4. everyone I know who has ever run it has described it in the most
    glowing terms imaginable and they always try to go back and do it
    again.
    5. I'm coming up on 40 and feeling weird and restless about that and
    looking for "something" to focus on

    As I was walking to work today I saw a pretty girl and thought "ya
    know, I'd like to do a prostitute in my office before I die". Not
    every idea that pops into our head is actually a good idea.

    Then, to illustrate your point, why not give an example of an idea that is
    *not* a good one?

    heh, point being that things that begin with "Before I die I'd like
    to..." usually end with things of dubious quality. And often the
    things that seem like the would be the kind of things you'd want to be
    able to say you did just are not good ideas in the here and now.

    Of course that is not to say we should not chuck caution to the wind
    at times and go for it. I have actually heard stories of people who
    get really charge up later in life about doing a marathon. For a
    non-competitive personality I think it can even be a fine idea. For
    me it could be a problem because I really hate it when people go by me
    so my temptation would be to push way harder than I can handle.

    --
    Is this thing on?

  10. "Joe Humble" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:39:18 +1000, "David" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    [......]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Then, to illustrate your point, why not give an example of an idea that
    is
    *not* a good one?

    heh, point being that things that begin with "Before I die I'd like
    to..." usually end with things of dubious quality.

    Of course. It was just an attempt at humour

    Quoted message said:

    And often the
    things that seem like the would be the kind of things you'd want to be
    able to say you did just are not good ideas in the here and now.

    True.

    Quoted message said:

    Of course that is not to say we should not chuck caution to the wind
    at times and go for it. I have actually heard stories of people who
    get really charge up later in life about doing a marathon.

    IMO doing any physical activity to high competitive level will cause more
    damage than it's worth.

    Quoted message said:

    For a
    non-competitive personality I think it can even be a fine idea. For
    me it could be a problem because I really hate it when people go by me
    so my temptation would be to push way harder than I can handle.

    That is the human condition however. Otherwise you would be like our
    aboriginals. The joke goes (because they are perceived to be lazy with no
    ambition) "God said to the aboriginals 50,000 years ago "Don't do a thing
    'till I get back"

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Is this thing on?

  11. On 12 Nov 2005 07:52:19 -0800, "Curt James" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Olympic sprinters are fast runners. You agree with that, yes? And you
    said, well, /made the attempt/ to say, that Olympic sprinters have
    *extremely* muscular legs, so how does that not contradict your
    previous comment of "only fast runners get toothpick legs"?

    You are stupider than he is. The topic was ENDURANCE RUNNERS!

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    WooferBearATL said:

    "Ellis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Not all strength training programmes are geared towards getting
    bigger/heavier.

    Quoted message said:

    Not geared towards bigger/heavier? Are they sick?

    Some people just want to get stronger (and stay in a lower weight
    class).

    Seth
    --
    Who cares? Shut up and lift. -- Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.