Margaret River - where to ride?

endroll

New Member
Jul 6, 2005
Will be in Margaret River around Oct and thinking of bringing the bike this time. Anybody know of any good roads to ride (where I don't have to dodge 110km/hr traffic) - given that I will be there on a weekend any "slow-coach" rides around town? ehehe

thanks

endroll said:
Will be in Margaret River around Oct and thinking of bringing the bike this time. Anybody know of any good roads to ride (where I don't have to dodge 110km/hr traffic) - given that I will be there on a weekend any "slow-coach" rides around town? ehehe

thanks
Most roads out of Margaret River would be 110kmh. Might be best to transport bike to a quieter road then ride.

Probably does not need to be said but Caves Road is maybe best avoided due to idiots in cars who are visiting wineries (not all are idiots but enough are to make it dodgy) with a combination of free wine tastings and confusion about which winery to visit next. When we had a place down there, we pulled cars out of ditches more than once because the driver had not been paying attention.

The Gracetown road might be an interesting ride. Nice beach at Gracetown (but bloody cold) and some good lookouts along the road.

There could be some interesting rural roads around Cowaramup.

If you're taking the MTB, Boranup Forest could have some track/dirt roads.

Maybe talk to these guys at the bike shop in Margaret River:
http://www.margaretriver.com/accom_result1.asp?Code=7756

And then there is the bike frame builder down that way. He could be worth a visit if it is raining and not real good riding weather. I don't know whether he takes visitors kindly or not:
http://www.pavebikes.com/

SteveA

SteveA said:
[...]

Thanks heaps! I remember driving Caves Rd pretty much all the way from Augusta to North of MRiver (sorry can't remember town names at this hour :-( ) and I am not sure that I would subject myself to that experience on a bike. The winery visits were great though :p .

I might try the LBS. thanks.

endroll said:
Thanks heaps! I remember driving Caves Rd pretty much all the way from Augusta to North of MRiver (sorry can't remember town names at this hour :-( ) and I am not sure that I would subject myself to that experience on a bike. The winery visits were great though :p .

I might try the LBS. thanks.
There are at least 2 bike tour operators down there too. Have a look in the tourist bureau. Their brochures may have useful maps. Or even ask at the tourist bureau - its a long shot but they may know something about cycling in the area.

SteveA

endroll wrote:
> Will be in Margaret River around Oct and thinking of bringing the bike
> this time. Anybody know of any good roads to ride (where I don't have
> to dodge 110km/hr traffic) - given that I will be there on a weekend
> any "slow-coach" rides around town? ehehe
>
> thanks

There is a cyclepath all the way from MR out to Preston Beach, 'bout 11km.
There is a set of offroad paths just west of the MR townsite that heads
north through some nice bush, civilised ride though.
Besides the traffic Caves Rd heading north and to Dunsborough is hilly
but scenic, lots of side roads to the beach strips or wineries.
Then besides the roads there are also the features to note. The fudge
factory. The chocolate factory. Coffee. The MR Cheese Coy. Somewhere
north of there is Simmo's icecream factory. The caves at Yallingup.
Palandri's large and air-conditioned winery showrooms. The Cowaramup
Candy Cow. Try to rescue a whale while you're down there.
Have fun.

We spent a week cycling around there a few years back. There are quite a few
quiet roads.

And I didn't think Caves Rd was dangerous. Just avoid it on weekends or
school holidays.

Nick

news:[email protected]...

endroll said:
Will be in Margaret River around Oct and thinking of bringing the bike this time. Anybody know of any good roads to ride (where I don't have to dodge 110km/hr traffic) - given that I will be there on a weekend any "slow-coach" rides around town? ehehe

thanks
I take my bike down there quite a lot (my wife's parent have a place down there) and there are heaps of fantastic quiet roads east of the main highway that intersects Margaret River. I clocked up many 100+k rides with barely seeing 15-20 cars.

I see that you are down there in October. In October cyclosportif ( www.cyclosportif.com.au) are holding a Gran Fondo type of event from Busselton to Margaret River. i think the full version is 160k's but there are always shorter courses available. Its on the 16th i think, the week after the Northam-Perth.

SteveA wrote:
> And then there is the bike frame builder down that way. He could be
> worth a visit if it is raining and not real good riding weather. I
> don't know whether he takes visitors kindly or not:
> http://www.pavebikes.com/

from this site i managed to get to this site;
http://www.pavebikes.com/pedal.html

are these guys for real? check out the history page, all very silly.

kim

> I see that you are down there in October. In October cyclosportif (
> 'www.cyclosportif.com.au' (http://www.cyclosportif.com.au)) are holding
> a Gran Fondo type of event from Busselton to Margaret River. i think the
> full version is 160k's but there are always shorter courses available.
> Its on the 16th i think, the week after the Northam-Perth.
>

> --
> byron27

Hey Byron, these events look pretty cool, but whats with the aero power
?

http://www.cyclosportif.com.au/results/2005/York/Steve Stenvers/Pages/Cyclosportif_York021.html

alex

alex said:
> I see that you are down there in October. In October cyclosportif (
> 'www.cyclosportif.com.au' (http://www.cyclosportif.com.au)) are holding
> a Gran Fondo type of event from Busselton to Margaret River. i think the
> full version is 160k's but there are always shorter courses available.
> Its on the 16th i think, the week after the Northam-Perth.
>

> --
> byron27

Hey Byron, these events look pretty cool, but whats with the aero power
?

http://www.cyclosportif.com.au/results/2005/York/Steve Stenvers/Pages/Cyclosportif_York021.html

alex
Those old cafe racers are allowed to use whatever gets them through. Lax rules and pretty much "just for fun" though they take it all seriously.

thanks for all the advice - will go on weekend so probably avoiding crazy roads!! :)

cheers!

byron27 wrote:
> alex Wrote:

> > Hey Byron, these events look pretty cool, but whats with the aero power
> > ?
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/d4xmb
> >
> > alex

> Those old cafe racers are allowed to use whatever gets them through.
> Lax rules and pretty much "just for fun" though they take it all
> seriously.

well at least the bikes get a good run :)

are you in a team?