Marzocchi Marathons for sale on ebay... last day.

"a d r e n a l i n e h e a d b i k e r" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> closing sale this evening...

So just think to yourself whether sending spam to this newsgroup will increase or decrease interest
in your sale item. Think hard.

LN

"lardy ninja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "a d r e n a l i n e h e a d b i k e r" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > closing sale this evening...
>

> So just think to yourself whether sending spam to this newsgroup will increase or decrease
> interest in your sale item. Think hard.
>
> LN

Surely this is NOT spam - it's sent to one newsgroup and a relevant one at that. I think it was
recently agreed that For Sale posts were acceptable in moderation especially as the subject line
makes it clear.

Regards Simon

Simon Galgut <[email protected]> wrote:
>"lardy ninja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>"a d r e n a l i n e h e a d b i k e r" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>closing sale this evening...
>>So just think to yourself whether sending spam to this newsgroup will increase or decrease
>>interest in your sale item. Think hard.
>Surely this is NOT spam - it's sent to one newsgroup and a relevant one at that.

It is the eighth such post on uk.rec.cycling and has also been sent twice to alt.mountain-bike, five
times to rec.bicycles marketplace, and once to rec.bicycles.misc, not counting any "last day" posts
that DejaGoogle doesn't have yet. All these posts are substantively identical, and so their BI is
hence 16, where a cancellable spam would normally needs a BI or 20 or greater.

It's not cancellable spam, but it's clearly a gross abuse for all that.

Simon Galgut <[email protected]> wrote:

> Surely this is NOT spam - it's sent to one newsgroup and a relevant one at that. I think it was
> recently agreed that For Sale posts were acceptable in moderation especially as the subject line
> makes it clear.

Ebay rules say:

"eBay users may not post on Usenet groups (Internet newsgroups) to advertise eBay or an eBay
listing that is inappropriate or violates the Usenet board policy. If Usenet abuse is reported
to eBay, we may among other remedies) remove the listing, issue a warning, temporarily suspend
or indefinitely suspend the offender's eBay account."

http://pages.ebay.com/help/usenet_policy.html

I would draw a distinction, as other newsgroups do between a regular contributor who posts the
occassional e-bay listing and someone who's only or main contribution is to advertise their
auctions. For such people rec.bicycles.marketplace is the appropriate place to advertise and posting
here is an arguable breach of e-bay t&c's.

Just my $0.02

Tony

http://www.raven-family.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
Bernard Shaw.

Tony Raven wrote:

> I would draw a distinction, as other newsgroups do between a regular contributor who posts the
> occassional e-bay listing and someone who's only or main contribution is to advertise their
> auctions. For such people rec.bicycles.marketplace is the appropriate place to advertise and
> posting here is an arguable breach of e-bay t&c's.

I don't think anyone's going to object to anyone posting a one-off auction notice, either. After
all, they may be selling useful things.

If you'd spend time doing a search about me, you need to get out more!

news:E0p*[email protected]...

Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Tony Raven wrote:
>
> > I would draw a distinction, as other newsgroups do between a regular contributor who posts the
> > occassional e-bay listing and someone who's only or main contribution is to advertise their
> > auctions. For such people rec.bicycles.marketplace is the appropriate place to advertise and
> > posting here is an arguable breach of e-bay t&c's.
>
> I don't think anyone's going to object to anyone posting a one-off auction notice, either. After
> all, they may be selling useful things.

I can understand the concerns raised, but personally I have no issues as long as the item is cycling
related. Could help somebody out..see my post "Rear wheel wanted"!

--
Mark
______________________________________

"Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> wrote:
>I don't think anyone's going to object to anyone posting a one-off auction notice, either.

A _one-off_ auction notice would be a completely different matter.

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>Simon Galgut <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Surely this is NOT spam - it's sent to one newsgroup and a relevant one at that. I think it was
>>recently agreed that For Sale posts were acceptable in moderation especially as the subject line
>>makes it clear.
>Ebay rules say: "eBay users may not post on Usenet groups (Internet newsgroups) to advertise eBay
>or an eBay listing that is inappropriate or violates the Usenet board policy. If Usenet abuse is
>reported to eBay, we may among other remedies) remove the listing, issue a warning, temporarily
>suspend or indefinitely suspend the offender's eBay account."

Reporting is is made extremely difficult - I can't find an email address anywhere, and their online
abuse reporting only works if you're already a member. I'm going to try mail to <[email protected]>,
but I'd encourage any other urc readers who have E-bay account to pursue it with them. The current
count is still 8 in urc, 2 in alt.mountain-bike, 5 times in rec.bicycles.marketplace, and once in
rec.bicycles.misc (a clear violation of the rec.bicycles rules on advertising.)

You are indeed a sad little no life man David. Maybe you could try reading ebays rules a little more
closely before you make a complete prat of yourself to them.

a d r e n a l i n e h e a d b i k e r wrote:
> You are indeed a sad little no life man David. Maybe you could try reading ebays rules a little
> more closely before you make a complete prat of yourself to them.

But at least he doesn't spam the newsgroup.

Welcome to the killfile. <plonk>

--
Guy
===

Depend on what you call SPAM! I'd call his hounding me spam.

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 22:39:13 -0000, "a d r e n a l i n e h e a d b i k e r" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Depend on what you call SPAM! I'd call his hounding me spam.
>

>"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> a d r e n a l i n e h e a d b i k e r wrote:
>> > You are indeed a sad little no life man David. Maybe you could try reading ebays rules a little
>> > more closely before you make a complete prat of yourself to them.
>>
>> But at least he doesn't spam the newsgroup.
>>
>> Welcome to the killfile. <plonk>
>>
>> --
>> Guy
>> ===
>> I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
>> about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
>> wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.
>>
>> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

1) You are a spammer.
2) You don't even know what spamming means
3) You top-post.

3 strikes and you're out.

<plonk>

Alan

Alan Collier wrote:

> 1) You are a spammer.
> 2) You don't even know what spamming means
> 3) You top-post.

Heh! Doesn't look like he knows what killfile means, either, whch is a surprise since he must have
seen the inside of a few in his time :)

--
Guy
===