Mavic 519 vs. 517

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 02:45:40 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]> blathered:

>> serious question, what info do you have that the 618 is stronger? I am looking to buy a new wheel
>> and was trying to compare them, it seems the 519 has a wider profile?

>The 618 is double-eyeleted, one of the few Mavics that still are. You can tension the spokes much
>tighter with these without worry of cracking and pull through of the single-eyeleted rims. There's
>actually no reason to buy a 519 since the 618 exists.

Rear 519, three months ago - http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/splitrim.jpg

I am now running a 618...with a 317 on the front which seems to be holding up OK.

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

"Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 02:45:40 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]> blathered:
>
> >> serious question, what info do you have that the 618 is stronger? I am looking to buy a new
> >> wheel and was trying to compare them, it seems the
519
> >> has a wider profile?
>
> >The 618 is double-eyeleted, one of the few Mavics that still are. You
can
> >tension the spokes much tighter with these without worry of cracking and pull through of the
> >single-eyeleted rims. There's actually no reason to buy a 519 since the 618 exists.
>
> Rear 519, three months ago - http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/splitrim.jpg
>
> I am now running a 618...with a 317 on the front which seems to be holding up OK.
>
> Pete
> ----
> http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

Thanks for the info, I was tempted by the 519 because of its wider profile, shall have to
reconsider..

Steve E.

RE/
>The only thing saving you is the 25#, lower tire pressures probably keep you from splitting along
>the spoke holes (don't know what pressures Pete C is running but I run 2.1" size tires pretty hight
>to avoid pinch flats).

I run about 40# in the front and 45-50 in the back. WTB Mutano Raptors..
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:

>> My guess is that GT runs black anodized rims (being the fashion plate he is), and that you don't
>> (being the pragmatist you are). The difference in failure rate (of the spoke pull-through mode)
>> is very significant.
>>

>Nope, I haven't run dark anodized rims since my Araya RM-20s back in the
>80s. But I heard that all Mavic rims are now anodized even if it's just silver? Is that not the
> case?

My understanding is that the "silver anodizing" is exceptionally thin, and not as likely to
develop cracks large enough to propogate to the rim, while the anodizing for the "dark colors"
must be much thicker. I suspect you're right about all the Mavic rims being anodized (though I'm
not sure about the MA3).

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Mark Hickey wrote:
>
> >> My guess is that GT runs black anodized rims (being the fashion plate he is), and that you
> >> don't (being the pragmatist you are). The difference in failure rate (of the spoke pull-through
> >> mode) is very significant.
> >>

> >Nope, I haven't run dark anodized rims since my Araya RM-20s back in the
> >80s. But I heard that all Mavic rims are now anodized even if it's just silver? Is that not the
> > case?
>
> My understanding is that the "silver anodizing" is exceptionally thin, and not as likely to
> develop cracks large enough to propogate to the rim, while the anodizing for the "dark colors"
> must be much thicker. I suspect you're right about all the Mavic rims being anodized (though I'm
> not sure about the MA3).

If you look on the site, it shows different symbols, some of which appear on each rim's label. Each
of these symbols relates to a different property of the rim, or a process it has undergone. One of
these is for 'Hard Anodising', and does AFAICR, only appear next to the coloured ones.The silver
don't have this, and I know I'm light at about 155 lb, but I carry heavy packs, have a heavy bike,
and am clumsy enough to give my wheels hell - never had a problem. Worn 2 of these (521's, silver)
rims out (sidewall wise) without any signs of fatigue failure.

Shaun aRe

> Paladin wrote:
> > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> >>At 210# my rear 517 split along the spoke holes and both rims showed
stress
> >>around the spoke holes from the first ride. Never again.
> >>
> >>Greg
> >

> > yeah, I've heard of that happening. Maybe I'm just lucky, or my number's not up yet. How much of
> > your experience can you attribute to the spokes, the nipples, and the builder of the wheel?
>
> Zero. I build my own wheels and my 618s are flawless.
>
> The only thing saving you is the 25#, lower tire pressures probably keep you from splitting along
> the spoke holes (don't know what pressures Pete C is running but I run 2.1" size tires pretty
> hight to avoid pinch flats). And/or you could have rims from a better batch. Undertensioning 517s
> prevents cracking around the spoke holes but undertensioning them isn't good for a clydesdale in
> the long run.

How much tension do you use in your spokes?

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> RE/
>
>>The only thing saving you is the 25#, lower tire pressures probably keep you from splitting along
>>the spoke holes (don't know what pressures Pete C is running but I run 2.1" size tires pretty
>>hight to avoid pinch flats).
>

> I run about 40# in the front and 45-50 in the back. WTB Mutano Raptors..

Same here, you must have a better batch of rims than JD and I have had.

Greg

spademan o---[) * wrote:
> "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>

>>Rear 519, three months ago - http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/splitrim.jpg
>>
>>I am now running a 618...with a 317 on the front which seems to be holding up OK.
>>
>>Pete
>>----
>>http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/
>

> Thanks for the info, I was tempted by the 519 because of its wider profile, shall have to
> reconsider..

Is the 519 really all that much wider? If it's the same weight while being wider I would think that
would mean thinner walls and more chance of splitting.

Greg

> spademan o---[) * wrote:
> > "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> >

> >>Rear 519, three months ago - http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/splitrim.jpg
> >>
> >>I am now running a 618...with a 317 on the front which seems to be holding up OK.
> >>
> >>Pete
> >>----
> >>http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/
> >

> > Thanks for the info, I was tempted by the 519 because of its wider
profile,
> > shall have to reconsider..
> >

> Is the 519 really all that much wider? If it's the same weight while
being
> wider I would think that would mean thinner walls and more chance of
splitting.

That would make sense to me if they were the same weight but are they really? . The F519s are 24.5mm
wide and listed at 460g. The x618s are, what, 22mm wide? and listed at 450g. What do double eyelets
add to the weight of the rim?

After having troubles with Bontrager Maverick and Corvair rims splitting along the inner bed and
F519 rims cracking around the spoke holes, I started switching to Bontrager Clyde rims for my rear
wheels. They're 24mm wide but are of a triple cavity design and are listed at 505g. Not quite a
Rhyno Lite but they've certainly been worthy of their name so far.

news:<[email protected]>...
> spademan o---[) * wrote:
> > "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> >

> >>Rear 519, three months ago - http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/splitrim.jpg
> >>
> >>I am now running a 618...with a 317 on the front which seems to be holding up OK.
> >>
> >>Pete
> >>----
> >>http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/
> >

> > Thanks for the info, I was tempted by the 519 because of its wider profile, shall have to
> > reconsider..
> >

> Is the 519 really all that much wider? If it's the same weight while being wider I would think
> that would mean thinner walls and more chance of splitting.

It's not that much wider at all. The 519 might be a decent choict for a front wheel, but is just as
shitty as the 517 as a rear wheel. The heavier weight of the 618 is made by the double eyelets,
which is why some may think of the 618 as "heavy" in a weight weenie XC sense.

The bottom line is this, the 517 and 519 are **** if you ride a lot. Even Hemo The Magnificent
toasted his Gerd-built 517s and he's 170lbs soaking wet. If you want to be stylish and listen to
Mavic's hype, ride them. If you want a dependable wheel, get the 618.

JD

RE/

>Same here, you must have a better batch of rims than JD and I have had.

I'd guess it's my riding style.

I'm more of a road rider that just wants to stay away from traffic than a real mountain biker. If
there's an easy way and a technical way, I'll take the easy way every time. If there's only a
technical way I'll take it - but I'll make a mental note to avoid that route next time....
PeteCresswell