Mavic Cosmos or Aksium

jrstevens

Dec 22, 2004
I need a set of traning wheels for this upcoming winter. I have SLs for racing and would like to stick with Mavic. Performance has the Cosmos on sale for $210 and the Aksium are $230. Can anyone provide some suggestions or feedback on these models. any comments appreciated.

JS

Hello,

Aksium's are claimed to be as good as any Mavic wheels but at a lower price. The guy in the shop told me that the main difference is that they weight a bit more. I own them since July 2006 and have had a very pleasent ride since then with no mechanical failures so far.

Regards

The onther thing to note about the Aksium is that it is the first Mavic wheel to be manufactured outside France.

I own a set and I like the ride. They are a bit heavy though.

youhaditcoming said:
Hello,

Aksium's are claimed to be as good as any Mavic wheels but at a lower price. The guy in the shop told me that the main difference is that they weight a bit more. I own them since July 2006 and have had a very pleasent ride since then with no mechanical failures so far.

Regards
Not hardly.....night and day difference between the Aksiums. SL, and ES. But they are a good training wheel.

At 1682 g the Askium are way better than the 1820 g Cosmos. Plus they look better like the SLs. But why not just train on the SLs? I use them for training and racing no problem.

JTE83 said:
At 1682 g the Askium are way better than the 1820 g Cosmos. Plus they look better like the SLs. But why not just train on the SLs? I use them for training and racing no problem.
I need a set of pit wheels for race day anyways. I'll use the SLs on more spirited group rides and days when I'll be climbing more but for the rest of the time I prefer to have a training set. BTW, where did you get the weight you quoted. The Mavic website lists them at 1980gm.

JS

1980g has to be the correct one, or who'll buy the more expensive Mavics? The price fits this weight category.