Mavic CXP22 Black/Shimano 105 from Nashbar

Chuck

Guest
My hubs are shot on my hybrid bike and I was wondering if anyone has
any experience with this setup. Weight isn't an issue, but durability
is. The seals should also be decent because nearly all of the riding
will be on a limestone trail. Early season I'll ride with 32c tires but
most of the time 28's. 10K miles and I'd be happy with them. The ones on
the bike only lasted 8500. Thanks in advance.

I got a set of those built up on Sora hubs from Nashbar last fall.
$100. For that price I didn't expect much. :p

The hubs were perfectly adjusted. Quite shocking. The spokes were no
name, but the last set of wheels I got from them used DTs.

The spoke tension, however, was wildIy uneven. I destressed,
retensioned and retrued and they seem rock solid. I've only put a few
hundred miles on them, but they've stayed perfectly true.

I do wonder if they're anodized or powdercoated--my last set of
anodized Mavics cracked at the nipple, but supposedly that's an ma3
problem.

Tough rim, and slightly meaty--but with 32mm tires a few grams here or
there matters little.

let me add: you should easily get 10K out of them. I got only 10K out
of my ma3s--and I felt gypped. :p

I'm not sure how well 105s are sealed these days, but even the cheapest
Shimano Hub, if you service it every 6-12 months, will last a long long
time.

Chuck wrote:
> My hubs are shot on my hybrid bike and I was wondering if anyone has
> any experience with this setup. Weight isn't an issue, but durability
> is. The seals should also be decent because nearly all of the riding
> will be on a limestone trail. Early season I'll ride with 32c tires but
> most of the time 28's. 10K miles and I'd be happy with them. The ones on
> the bike only lasted 8500. Thanks in advance.

For a hybrid on a limestone trail, I think you're better off with the
cheaper wheelset that Nashbar has on sale. Sun M13 rims to Shimano 2200
hubs should be perfect for you (and are a steal at $55).

Hubs die from water or poor adjustment (preload), not dust. With cheap
OEM wheels (and even expensive boutique wheels) you should tension and
stress relieve the spokes and adjust bearing preload (add grease) if you
want maximum life from these wheels, but at that price, you may not care.

I'm a fan of Shimano hubs (at all price points) and Sun rims. Mavic rims
are often disappointing.

On 2006-01-27, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
> Chuck wrote:
>> My hubs are shot on my hybrid bike and I was wondering if anyone has
>> any experience with this setup. Weight isn't an issue, but durability
>> is. The seals should also be decent because nearly all of the riding
>> will be on a limestone trail. Early season I'll ride with 32c tires but
>> most of the time 28's. 10K miles and I'd be happy with them. The ones on
>> the bike only lasted 8500. Thanks in advance.

> For a hybrid on a limestone trail, I think you're better off with the
> cheaper wheelset that Nashbar has on sale. Sun M13 rims to Shimano 2200
> hubs should be perfect for you (and are a steal at $55).

It doesn't say so, but those look like the old steel rims. Also, it
mentions older bike and doesn't say any thing about being for 9-speed
hubs.

> Hubs die from water or poor adjustment (preload), not dust. With cheap
> OEM wheels (and even expensive boutique wheels) you should tension and
> stress relieve the spokes and adjust bearing preload (add grease) if you
> want maximum life from these wheels, but at that price, you may not care.

The grease looks like mud after 1000 miles. The limestone dust makes
cement in the bearings. And it's so dusty that I use fenders just for
dust. I've always repacked the bearings at 1500 miles and should
be doing it at 1000.

> I'm a fan of Shimano hubs (at all price points) and Sun rims. Mavic rims
> are often disappointing.

I believe the reason I only got 8500 miles out of the hubs that came
with the bike is that the Xero hubs are junk. The rims didn't do bad
though.

Chuck wrote:

> It doesn't say so, but those look like the old steel rims. Also, it
> mentions older bike and doesn't say any thing about being for 9-speed
> hubs.

They're polished aluminum and quite classy and old school looking. The
Mavic's shape probably owes more to fashion than actual practicality.

Both wheelsets are cheap and decent. I'd have got the Sun set if they'd
been available when I was shopping as I like the classic look.

Flip a coin, or get both. :p

On 2006-01-27, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Chuck wrote:
>
>> It doesn't say so, but those look like the old steel rims. Also, it
>> mentions older bike and doesn't say any thing about being for 9-speed
>> hubs.
>>

> They're polished aluminum and quite classy and old school looking. The
> Mavic's shape probably owes more to fashion than actual practicality.
>
> Both wheelsets are cheap and decent. I'd have got the Sun set if they'd
> been available when I was shopping as I like the classic look.
>
> Flip a coin, or get both. :p

Is the Sun a 9 speed free hub?

On 2006-01-27, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Chuck wrote:
>
>> It doesn't say so, but those look like the old steel rims. Also, it
>> mentions older bike and doesn't say any thing about being for 9-speed
>> hubs.
>>

> They're polished aluminum and quite classy and old school looking. The
> Mavic's shape probably owes more to fashion than actual practicality.
>
> Both wheelsets are cheap and decent. I'd have got the Sun set if they'd
> been available when I was shopping as I like the classic look.
>
> Flip a coin, or get both. :p

Is the Sun a 9 speed free hub?

it's a standard shimano freehub, fits 8 or 9 spd cassettes.

It's a cheaper model, but I'm on my second wheelset with the 2200's and
I like them just fine. It's a hub. Refresh the grease routinely and
forget about it.

The price for that wheelset is insane. Heck, get two sets and have a
spare in the garage. :D

Chuck wrote:
> On 2006-01-27, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Chuck wrote:
>>
>>>My hubs are shot on my hybrid bike and I was wondering if anyone has
>>>any experience with this setup. Weight isn't an issue, but durability
>>>is. The seals should also be decent because nearly all of the riding
>>>will be on a limestone trail. Early season I'll ride with 32c tires but
>>>most of the time 28's. 10K miles and I'd be happy with them. The ones on
>>>the bike only lasted 8500. Thanks in advance.

>>For a hybrid on a limestone trail, I think you're better off with the
>>cheaper wheelset that Nashbar has on sale. Sun M13 rims to Shimano 2200
>>hubs should be perfect for you (and are a steal at $55).

> It doesn't say so, but those look like the old steel rims. Also, it
> mentions older bike and doesn't say any thing about being for 9-speed
> hubs.

If you look closely at the picture, the labels on the rims are "M13II",
that's a current Sun rim, replaces the old M13 (spec sheet at Sun/Ringle
site).

These days, nobody sells other than 8/9 speed (same) hubs w/o saying so.

The copy writer is just making a "style" comment (and a bogus one).

>>Hubs die from water or poor adjustment (preload), not dust. With cheap
>>OEM wheels (and even expensive boutique wheels) you should tension and
>>stress relieve the spokes and adjust bearing preload (add grease) if you
>>want maximum life from these wheels, but at that price, you may not care.
>>

> The grease looks like mud after 1000 miles. The limestone dust makes
> cement in the bearings. And it's so dusty that I use fenders just for
> dust. I've always repacked the bearings at 1500 miles and should
> be doing it at 1000.
>

>>I'm a fan of Shimano hubs (at all price points) and Sun rims. Mavic rims
>>are often disappointing.

> I believe the reason I only got 8500 miles out of the hubs that came
> with the bike is that the Xero hubs are junk. The rims didn't do bad
> though.

Well, it sounds like the seals were junk, anyway. For riding in harsh
conditions, I like Shimano MTB hubs on 700c rims, can't beat the seals.