Mavic Kyserium Wheel Question

SoulBlade

Jun 9, 2006
I understand that the spokes don't penetrate the rim on Kyseriums. Does that mean that there is no benefit from or need for rim tape?

SoulBlade said:
I understand that the spokes don't penetrate the rim on Kyseriums. Does that mean that there is no benefit from or need for rim tape?
Yes, that is what it means.

SoulBlade said:
They do come with a short piece of tape, covering where the rim butt weld joint is. This tape can become hard with age, wrinkled from tire changes and puncture tubes. I throw the tape away and polish the weld smooth, something Mavic should do for the price they charge.

Not a bad idea to put a small strip of tape across the valve hole though (with a hole punched through, of course). I've seen a number of flats from the sharp-ish edge of the hole on Ksyriums.

friedmikey said:
Not a bad idea to put a small strip of tape across the valve hole though (with a hole punched through, of course). I've seen a number of flats from the sharp-ish edge of the hole on Ksyriums.
Can't hurt, but I just put a chamfer on the inside of the hole and have had no problems in over 45k miles. The thickest part of a tube is located at that hole, because that is where the valve stem is vulcanised onto the tube.

I just purchased some MK, so just to clarify one more time.

I only need rim tape at the valve opening?

TrekDedicated said:
I just purchased some MK, so just to clarify one more time.

I only need rim tape at the valve opening?
No! If that hole has a sharp enough edge to penetrate a tube at the valve stem, which is the thickest part of the tube, remove the sharp edge. My tubes only weigh 50 grams, and I have never had a leak caused by this hole, in 50,000 miles.