Mavic or Cane Creek Brakes



Are their any real differences between Mavic SSC and Cane Creek SCR-5
brakes, or is just personal preference? It's time to upgrade my 105's,
and a little "cool factor" never seems to hurt...within reason.
Thanks.
Tom Purcell
 
L

landotter

Guest
[email protected] wrote:
> Are their any real differences between Mavic SSC and Cane Creek SCR-5
> brakes, or is just personal preference? It's time to upgrade my 105's,
> and a little "cool factor" never seems to hurt...within reason.
> Thanks.
> Tom Purcell


AFAIK, the SCR-5's are rebranded Tektros. Don't know if Tektro makes
the Mavics though.

I've got the "SCR-5" levers in Tektro branding, and they're really nice
quality for very cheap.
 
landotter wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Are their any real differences between Mavic SSC and Cane Creek SCR-5
> > brakes, or is just personal preference? It's time to upgrade my 105's,
> > and a little "cool factor" never seems to hurt...within reason.
> > Thanks.
> > Tom Purcell

>
> AFAIK, the SCR-5's are rebranded Tektros. Don't know if Tektro makes
> the Mavics though.
>
> I've got the "SCR-5" levers in Tektro branding, and they're really nice
> quality for very cheap.


Agreed. Bikeman.com is a good source for Tektro. They also make Cane
Creeks cantilever brakes which are as good as Avid in the price range.

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/BR7304

Bret
 
A

Adam Salmon

Guest
I have a set of Mavic SSC's and they're also different from any other
caliper brake I've come across, the SCR-5's included, in as much as they use
a leaf return spring rather than a coil, i.e. they use a curved strip of
bendy metal rather than a piece of coiled wire. I'm not claiming this makes
them perform better than the SCR-5's, just that it makes them different.
Regards, Adam.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> landotter wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>> > Are their any real differences between Mavic SSC and Cane Creek SCR-5
>> > brakes, or is just personal preference? It's time to upgrade my 105's,
>> > and a little "cool factor" never seems to hurt...within reason.
>> > Thanks.
>> > Tom Purcell

>>
>> AFAIK, the SCR-5's are rebranded Tektros. Don't know if Tektro makes
>> the Mavics though.
>>
>> I've got the "SCR-5" levers in Tektro branding, and they're really nice
>> quality for very cheap.

>
> Agreed. Bikeman.com is a good source for Tektro. They also make Cane
> Creeks cantilever brakes which are as good as Avid in the price range.
>
> http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/BR7304
>
> Bret
>
 
C

chad

Guest
Tektro even make a full carbon road brake now with half the weight of dura
ace for a pair.

About $170 on eBay.



"Adam Salmon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have a set of Mavic SSC's and they're also different from any other
> caliper brake I've come across, the SCR-5's included, in as much as they

use
> a leaf return spring rather than a coil, i.e. they use a curved strip of
> bendy metal rather than a piece of coiled wire. I'm not claiming this

makes
> them perform better than the SCR-5's, just that it makes them different.
> Regards, Adam.
>
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > landotter wrote:
> >> [email protected] wrote:
> >> > Are their any real differences between Mavic SSC and Cane Creek SCR-5
> >> > brakes, or is just personal preference? It's time to upgrade my

105's,
> >> > and a little "cool factor" never seems to hurt...within reason.
> >> > Thanks.
> >> > Tom Purcell
> >>
> >> AFAIK, the SCR-5's are rebranded Tektros. Don't know if Tektro makes
> >> the Mavics though.
> >>
> >> I've got the "SCR-5" levers in Tektro branding, and they're really nice
> >> quality for very cheap.

> >
> > Agreed. Bikeman.com is a good source for Tektro. They also make Cane
> > Creeks cantilever brakes which are as good as Avid in the price range.
> >
> > http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/BR7304
> >
> > Bret
> >

>
>
 
Q

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Guest
[email protected] wrote:
> Are their any real differences between Mavic SSC and Cane Creek SCR-5
> brakes, or is just personal preference? It's time to upgrade my 105's,
> and a little "cool factor" never seems to hurt...within reason.
> Thanks.
> Tom Purcell


What do the 105 brakes not do that new brakes would? 2006, 105 '10s'
brakes work great, don't cost a ton...as do the brakes you have on the
bike now, probably. If yer gonna look for 'cool', get Zero
Gravs..otherwise just new blocks for the old brakes.
 
S

SYJ

Guest
chad wrote:
> Tektro even make a full carbon road brake now with half the weight of dura
> ace for a pair.
>



I think you're looking at a 'per wheel' weight for the Tektro and a
'per pair' weight for the DA. According to
http://www.tektro.com/02products/08r750.php, the carbon brakes weigh
about 150 grams/wheel; roughly the same as DA (if not higher).

SYJ
 
K

Kinky Cowboy

Guest
On 28 Jun 2006 19:49:17 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Are their any real differences between Mavic SSC and Cane Creek SCR-5
>brakes, or is just personal preference? It's time to upgrade my 105's,
>and a little "cool factor" never seems to hurt...within reason.
>Thanks.
>Tom Purcell


Cane Creek 200SL @ 125g = GBP190/pr
DiaCompe BRS200 @ 140g = GBP35/pr

In other words, go to the original; if the SCR-5 is a tweaked and
rebranded Tektro, get the Tektro.

Having said that, for the price of either of the brakes you suggest,
you could have Dura-Ace...

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary
 
A

Andrew F Martin

Guest
[email protected] wrote:
> Are their any real differences between Mavic SSC and Cane Creek SCR-5
> brakes, or is just personal preference? It's time to upgrade my 105's,
> and a little "cool factor" never seems to hurt...within reason.
> Thanks.
> Tom Purcell


If you are running Shimano shifters, I wouldn't get the Mavic's. I
heard they are great, but they also don't have the little flip thing
that opens them up to get the wheel off (I'm pretty sure). I remember
Lieswyn or somebody saying they stopped you great, but wheel changes
were a ***** because neither the lever (like campy), nor the caliper
(like shimano) had the ability to open up for the swap. You had to pop
the wheel in and out with a fist...