MAX Heart Rate - what does your heart rate max out at?

Mark2

Sep 18, 2010
I ride a criterion on the weekends and have been monitoring my heart rate on my GPS/Cadence/HR monitor. I usually I ignore the BPM cause it goes off the scale. But lately I look at the reports and I have been pushing +192BPM for the sprint (half a lap say 1.5km at 55km/hour or 1 mile at 35+mph).

I’m 48 and my max/100% is meant to be 185, I usually know if I hit it on a climb because I feel like I want to puke, but on the crit track, I know I’m maxed out but you have no choice but to push it hard to the line……..

Is it a good or a bad thing, what does maximum heart rate mean?

What does your heart rate max out at and for how long?

Max or even sub max sustainable heart rate is highly variable between individuals and doesn't mean a lot. The tables or formulas that predict your max HR based on age or other factors are based on averages of the population as a whole and in many cases aren't very accurate.

In my 30s I regularly broke 205 bpm during hard crits and rode time trials in the 190s, my numbers have come down as I've aged but they're still way above what you get from typical formulas or the charts printed on exercise machines. I have team mates that are on the other end and have particularly low HRs while training and racing but still punch out plenty of power and race very competitively, their HR isn't a prediction or even reflection of effort, power, fitness or anything else when compared to others or to the tables.

In the end your max or sustainable HR is what it is and as an absolute number doesn't mean much. You can however keep tabs on how your own HR varies with respect to your own history. It might be possible to draw some meaning or know when it's time to get a bit more recovery if your HR while waking, training, racing or during the day is a lot higher or lower than it's typically been but that's very different than comparing your numbers to someone else's or to a general expectation for folks your age.

-Dave

the only way to determine YOUR max heart rate is to take a stress test or follow the directions on some of the training protocols... and if you take a stress test make sure you tell them you don't want to stop when the "average rate" is reached.... My MAX rate is way over what the "charts" say

The two times I ever tried the heart rate monitor for my Garmin GPS the max it recorded was 182 bpm. So I guess that's pretty low but that wasn't with any sort of sprint.
I'm curious what does it mean really because I heard a lower heart rate is better and means you're more efficient, but then I've also heard having a high maximum heart rate is good too. So what does a high maximum HR do for you?

Originally Posted by JoelTGM .

The two times I ever tried the heart rate monitor for my Garmin GPS the max it recorded was 182 bpm. So I guess that's pretty low but that wasn't with any sort of sprint.
I'm curious what does it mean really because I heard a lower heart rate is better and means you're more efficient, but then I've also heard having a high maximum heart rate is good too. So what does a high maximum HR do for you?
For me, it just gives me an idea of how hard I'm working... and if I need to take it easy the next day.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by rparedes .

the only way to determine YOUR max heart rate is to take a stress test or follow the directions on some of the training protocols... and if you take a stress test make sure you tell them you don't want to stop when the "average rate" is reached.... My MAX rate is way over what the "charts" say

To right, you need to ride at your MAX to experience you max heart rate. There is not point using formulas or running or guessing, find a good hill and smash yourself up it.

Originally Posted by baker3 .

To right, you need to ride at your MAX to experience you max heart rate. There is not point using formulas or running or guessing, find a good hill and smash yourself up it.

That's what I did a long time ago and my hr monitor went up to 198. When I got to the top of the hill, I had to immediately get off the bike or I would have crashed.

I think at the time the formula put me at 185 max.

Last season, I hit 185 during a couple of rides, without trying to do a max test. I'm 50 (so the formula would give me a 170 max hr..ha ha ha)

I think another test is in order.