Max Heart Rate?

crash1

Nov 9, 2003
I did the mini time trial test that L.A. recommends in his book to obtain Max Heart Rate. My heart rate maxed out on the bike trainer at 184 BPM. I did it again today outside on roadbike and got it up to 182. I also did two tests while running on a treadmill and got heart rate up to 203 and 201 BPM. Is this normal to have that big of a difference between bike MHR and running MHR?
I am not sure what MHR to use to break down my training into HR zones.

Originally posted by crash1
I did the mini time trial test that L.A. recommends in his book to obtain Max Heart Rate. My heart rate maxed out on the bike trainer at 184 BPM. I did it again today outside on roadbike and got it up to 182.
That confirms that you probably acheived your max in the first test.
I also did two tests while running on a treadmill and got heart rate up to 203 and 201 BPM. Is this normal to have that big of a difference between bike MHR and running MHR?
Yes this is due to a number of factors, but mainly that a larger muscle mass is used during running. It is normal to have different MHR during different forms of exercise. Rowing tends to have a lower MHR.
I am not sure what MHR to use to break down my training into HR zones.
Use your cycling HR as you will be doing cycling training. Also use 184 as this is the highest HR you have seen and by definition your MAXIMUM HR.