Mean Maximal Power Curve - Single Ride

Porkyboy

Apr 28, 2006
Hi

I'm using a PowerTap and putting my data into CyclingPeaks which is all working fine. I understand the MMPC when applied to a number of sessions ie. it's a plot of all your "bests" for individual time increments and this will be very useful when I have a larger database of sessions.

What I'm struggling with is how to interpret the same curve when it's drawn for a single ride/session and I wonder if someone could explain it to me in terms I'll understand. Clearly it isn't a simple graph of power output against time and I can't seem to get my head around it! :(

Thank you.

PB

Porkyboy said:
Hi

I'm using a PowerTap and putting my data into CyclingPeaks which is all working fine. I understand the MMPC when applied to a number of sessions ie. it's a plot of all your "bests" for individual time increments and this will be very useful when I have a larger database of sessions.

What I'm struggling with is how to interpret the same curve when it's drawn for a single ride/session and I wonder if someone could explain it to me in terms I'll understand. Clearly it isn't a simple graph of power output against time and I can't seem to get my head around it! :(

Thank you.

PB
Find your highest average power for 1 sec, point #1. Find your highest average power for any 2 consecutive seconds, point #2. Find the highest average power for any 3 consecutive seconds during the ride, point #3......Find the highest average power for the total time of the ride (there is only one of course), the last point. Connect the dots. - TF

Hi Terry

Terry Ferguson said:
Find your highest average power for 1 sec, point #1. Find your highest average power for any 2 consecutive seconds, point #2. Find the highest average power for any 3 consecutive seconds during the ride, point #3......Find the highest average power for the total time of the ride (there is only one of course), the last point. Connect the dots. - TF
Thank you, clear, simple, understandable, exactly what I wanted.

Best regards.

PB

An interesting chart you can create is an MMP chart comparing a single ride to all prior rides. Then you can easily see how close you came to your best MMPs. Or better yet, see when you break them!

You can create it by using the Options button all the way in the upper right of the Athlete Home page, then choosing "Add chart to this page > Custom Mean Maximal Chart". Enter today's date for one of the date ranges. Then set the other range to all dates prior (not including today's date).

If you want to analyze another ride in the future, you'll have to customize the date ranges again, but it's worth it. Like when you've done a hard race or training session and want to see how much of your potential you really tapped!