These numbers mean?

Eldrack

Jan 10, 2005
Done a couple of tests in the past three days and the results were as follows:

1 hr: 200 watts, HR between 170-180
.5 hr: 231 watts, HR between 180-185.

These are only approximate values based on trainer resistance (27N, its a magnetic trainer, Tacx swing) and the speed recorded on my cycle computer (magnet is mounted on the back wheel :)).

From this and what I have read on this forum my LT (or FT) would therefore be 200 watts right?

At my body mass of 68kg (150lbs) this gives 2.94 watts/kg (pretty bad maybe?).

This data would suggest that I should do my VO2 intervals at anywhere between 212 and 240 watts (based on Dr Coggans levels) which seems a bit low considering I can maintain 231 watts for a continuos half hour.

Now compare this to the routine suggest in the following article: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0350.htm, equating vVO2 max with PVO2 max. On this system I would do my intervals at around 260 watts (measured a few weeks ago with the 15 minute test as suggested in the article) with 4 minutes on/4 minutes of repeated five times. The correlation for lactate threshold work is much better, giving similar power outputs to be undertaking this training at.

Is there a good reason for this large difference? Or have I made a mistake somewhere? And most importantly which of these different interval intensities is going to give me the best improvement in MAP?

My current fitness state is as follows: Rowed for 4 years between the ages of 13 and 17 but had to stop due to lower back problems. Took up cycling around christmas of last year and did fairly sporadic training to keep in shape. Got a turbo trainer a couple of months later and did some work on that, again just to keep in shape. Then did two months of slightly more serious training and did Lands end to John O'Groats in 12.5 days. Didn't do much cycling for about two months after that then started again about 6 weeks ago. Current age 18. Not totally sure about my max HR but it will be over 200.

That 1hr power looks a little suspect to me, especially with the HR that much lower than your 30 min test. I'd question whether you felt your 1 hr test was truly your best effort and whether your motivation was sufficient there.

I've never done a one-time 30 min test, but I'd be surprised to see that big a difference over my 1hr max power.

first of all, the "watts" that are reading out on your trainers screen are unlikely to be an accurate match to the watts you are really producing, so from the point of view of benchmarking yourself with others i would not pay too much attention to a watts:kilo ratio based on these numbers.

however the numbers are a perfectly good benchmark for setting training levels and monitoring improvement.

i'd say that if you can hold 235 watts for 30 mins, and that really is your best effort for 30 mins (?) then your FT is likely to be about 235 - 5% = 223.

the cycling peaks/coggan intensity levels seem to work for a lot of people on here. if you want to do VO2 max intervals try 3x4 mins at about 106-110 % of FT and see how you get on.

Thanks for the replies.

frenchgye: motivation wasn't really an issue, more the fact that my legs didn't feel that good for the first 20 minutes (not enough warm up?) so finishing was good enough for me. I'll give it another go at some point (next week) and see if I can get a better score.

robkit: The 30 minutes was pretty hard (but unless you unconcious by the end you can always go harder!), i'll give some intervals at 110% of FT a go and see how they feel.

Eldrack said:
frenchgye: motivation wasn't really an issue, more the fact that my legs didn't feel that good for the first 20 minutes (not enough warm up?) so finishing was good enough for me. I'll give it another go at some point (next week) and see if I can get a better score.
Yeah, just like your 30-min test, your 1hr test should be a 'best effort' in order to consider it a good approximation of FT power. For a TT-like effort, you might want to do a few short (~30s - 2 min) higher power efforts during your warmup to get loosened up and get the juices flowing. LT power is close to, but slightly below 1hr power.

Eldrack said:
robkit: The 30 minutes was pretty hard (but unless you unconcious by the end you can always go harder!), i'll give some intervals at 110% of FT a go and see how they feel.
Your initial post is correct that your 1hr power determines your FT, and 110-115% of FT would be a good power level for 4-min intervals. You'll need to get a better feel for your 1hr power, or make an approximation based from your 30-min test as Robkit suggested.

Did some intervals today. 3* 4 minutes at 245 Watts with 4 min rest at around 60% of that. First interval, deffinately felt the work. Second was getting some good lung and leg burn. Third was pretty hard though I think I could have gone harder, i'll try a fourth interval next time.