    Location:Yarra Boulevard, Kew (Mel Ref 44.J2)
    Date:Sunday 12 February 2006
    Time: road closures in effect from 6am to midday

    Ever wanted to ride on the road but worried about the traffic? Following the success of car-free "Sunday circuits" in some of the world's other great cycling cities, Melbourne's bike riders will have exclusive use of Kew Boulevard this Sunday, 12 February. From 6am to midday, the Boulevard will be closed to all motorised traffic, providing an ideal opportunity for cyclists to have a hit-out on one of Victoria's most popular bike riding routes.

    All are welcome to this free event. We would love to see as many riders as possible taking up this opportunity, so please spread the word to friends, family and colleagues - with enough support, we look forward to developing Sunday circuits on a regular basis throughout Victoria! Plans are already underway for a second event on Sunday 12 March, which will include an opportunity to race against the clock and test yourself against some of Australia's leading young cyclists. Our membership team will be on hand this Sunday with all the details - see you there!

    See Kew Boulevard Sunday Circuits
    http://www.bv.com.au/inform.php?a=5&b=27&c=1846

    Tags:

  2. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    I've seen this on the B.V site too.
    Would St Johns be in attendance?

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Good question, you would like to think organisers have taken contingencies for this public event. I'll ask & get back to you.

  4. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    oops, that question was more a dig at B.V. 'sponsored' events really.....
    :eek:

  5. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    I don't think it's factious at all, afterall, all types will be up there, ie: families, kids, folks with varying levels of fitness, bloody stray cats darting across my front wheel ... blahblah. No harm done just asking the question politely. :p

  6. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    arh it is a pity I'll be out of town... sounds like there will be swarms of commuter types to chase down and feel good about... while wearing my ITT booties...

    :p

    cheers,
    GPL

  7. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Where's the real challenge in that? Or are you being merely sadistic (again)?
    :D

  8. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    ok, I'll be honest.. I'll be doing laps of Lake Wendouree (Ballarat's answer to Beach Rd)... with a trip or two up the top of Mt Bunningyong (spelling?)..

    cheers,
    GPLStockaide!

  9. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    For the record; response from BV. Bikesoiler & I will down down (early) with acouple of other a.b rowdies. Free cofffffeeeeee on Sunday morning - I'll travel for that. Seriously though, hope this initiative by BV goes well, as creating opportunities to make cycling more accessible & fun should be promoted & supported. :)

    ****

    Other than the traffic management and free coffee, there is no "event
    management" as such for this Sunday's car-free circuit. We are simply
    providing an opportunity for cyclists to ride in a car-free
    environment.

    As the organiser of the initiative, I will be on-hand to answer any
    queries, monitor numbers, etc, and of course there will be marshals to
    assist with traffic management.

    Assuming all goes well this Sunday, we will be expanding the concept
    for the March event.

    Hope this helps!

    Kate Patterson
    Relationships Manager - Bicycle Victoria

  10. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    ahhahha, don't forget to chase the young kids and old grannies.:cool:

    Hope you punish some ballarat locals, while wearing booties of course.

  11. SuzieB

    SuzieB New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2005
    Me, EuanB, Dave and Kathy (yes, they are two people!) are meeting up at 8am nearby so should be hitting the Boulvevard some time around 8.30am. Looking forward to seeing other a.b types there! :)

  12. dave

    dave Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > For the record; response from BV. Bikesoiler & I will down down (early)
    > with acouple of other a.b rowdies. Free cofffffeeeeee on Sunday morning
    > - I'll travel for that. Seriously though, hope this initiative by BV
    > goes well, as creating opportunities to make cycling more accessible &
    > fun should be promoted & supported. :)
    >
    > ****
    >
    > Other than the traffic management and free coffee, there is no "event
    > management" as such for this Sunday's car-free circuit. We are simply
    > providing an opportunity for cyclists to ride in a car-free
    > environment.
    >
    > As the organiser of the initiative, I will be on-hand to answer any
    > queries, monitor numbers, etc, and of course there will be marshals to
    > assist with traffic management.
    >
    > Assuming all goes well this Sunday, we will be expanding the concept
    > for the March event.
    >
    > Hope this helps!
    >
    > Kate Patterson
    > Relationships Manager - Bicycle Victoria

    -
    Chris. Eaun and Suzie are meeting me and Kathy at Kathys in ivanhoe.
    and riding down to the Boulie. At 8 am Where is the coffee?

    Dave

  13. peterlip

    peterlip New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2005
    How long is Yarra Boulevard? How much of it is car free, the whole length?
    Is it flat? What's the surface like?
    Can you tell I've never been on it?

    May see you(s) all there... Maybe...
    Peter

  14. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
  15. Kathy

    Kathy Guest

    peterlip wrote:
    > How long is Yarra Boulevard? How much of it is car free, the whole
    > length?
    > Is it flat? What's the surface like?
    > Can you tell I've never been on it?
    >
    > May see you(s) all there... Maybe...
    > Peter

    The boulie? I dont know.. never measured it.. Maybe 7 or 8 km. Its not
    flat. Its not straight. Its a fairly rough and rattly surface.

    It used to be the premiere motorcycle road in melb. Its been narrowed
    and had a centre er... not island but area of indifferent traction put
    in to spoil it for bikes. It pretty much worked. Its a shadow of its
    former self but its stll a slightly magical curvey road that its hard
    not to love. Its been slowed to the point where its best on a pushbike
    these days.

    Its a great road. It was once greater :) I have no idea how much is
    being closed but probably all the yarra part

    Dave

  16. peterlip

    peterlip New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2005
  17. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    So? who went?

    How was it?

    Suggestions/criticisms/constructive comments for next time???

    F"wearing the other hat"Dutch

  18. SuzieB

    SuzieB New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2005
    Euan and I drove to Ivanhoe to meet Kathy and Dave then a quick ride down to the Guide Dogs to meet cfsmtb and Bikesoiler. Set off up that first hill from the Chandler Hwy end and found the FREE COFFEE!!!! By then I had racked up over 100 calories on my HRM so I deserved a break. :D

    BV and the High Country Challenge organisers had some tables set up with brochures and they were encouraging people to enter the draw for one of 3 entries to the High Country Challenge so of course I wrote my name down. Heaven forbid I should win and have to do more hills!!! We got our free coffees and stood around admiring the bike porn on display. It was a nice friendly atmosphere.

    After everyone was finished with coffee #1 we set off on the first lap. Wow, I loved riding that course. Some really challenging hills for me then awesome long downhill sections. Hardly any flat areas which was good because I didn't have to change gears much. I found the road to be rather uncomfortable in some sections and I was concerned about losing my water bottle with all the shaking. The distance from the top of the hill with the coffee to the Walmer Street end was 6km.

    Rest break was called at the end of the first half of the lap then after everyone was recovered it was back on the bikes to reach the FREE COFFEE. At one point the road divides to form a bike path on the left hand side of the road. I followed Euan and Dave down there which was fine until the path ends at the round about.We were going fairly fast and Euan ended up jumping the curb because the bike exit onto the road wasn't immediately obvious. I followed Dave back onto the road and decided not to use the path next time. Normally bike riders would have to slow down because there would be traffic at the intersection but we were going fast because there wasn't any traffic and it was a little hairy I thought.

    Bikesoiler and cfsmtb went by me with Bikesoiler pushing cfsmtb up the hill. I yelled at Euan to come back and push me. He put his hand on my back and immediately I felt the difference. Euan was really suprised as he was hardly touching me. We had no idea that pushing someone up the hill would be that easy.

    Made it back to the start and Bikesoiler, Euan and I decided to do another lap. I told the boys to ride at the pace they wanted and I'd turn around when I saw them coming back. I made it almost to the end before I saw them so I figure my down hills must have been quicker because my uphills were S L O W. Back to the start for coffee #2 which was very much appreciated.

    I'd certainly be interested in heading out there to ride on a car free day again but I'd like to see the sections where there were witches hats and a narrowing of the road better marked as I did think there was some danger of a head on between cyclists coming fast down the hill around the corner and those coming up.

    All in all, a big success. It was great to see such a variety of riders, all shapes and sizes, many different types of bikes all enjoying a good car free road. :D

  19. SuzieB

    SuzieB New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2005
    Oh, I also wanted to say that I am going to write a letter to BV to let them know how much I enjoyed the day. I suggest others do the same to encourage future events like this. :)

  20. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    If they had pancakes, we would of stayed there all day.

    Note for BV letter: Suggest a second coffee stall at Walmer Street.

    Had the legs for the climb, just the recently dented ribs were giving me grief. Breath, spin, climb, need help. Oh look, there's my personal domestique! Off to do research on VO2 max. ;)