mens vs womens bike shorts...

TrekCyclerChic

Dec 13, 2004
might be a dumb question, but being a tom boy i'm used to wearing guys clothes, so to get to my question: is there a difference between mens bike shorts and womens? does it matter what I wear?

I've found no difference between guys and girls bike shorts cause none of them have a fly.

As long as their comfy.. and don't bind in the creases... whatever is fine with me.

does it matter what I wear?

Don't believe it does unless your hung up on that sort of thing...

But.. you should wear something unless you plan on being the first Lady Godiva of bikedom.. ;)

I know where you're coming from with the tomboy thing. I have tried mens fit shorts and chick fit, and there is a difference. The padding is roughly the same but the mens stuff had smaller leg diameters and not tight enough waist taper. Rather annoying if ya ask me. On the flip side my BF likes chick fit shorts because he likes the larger leg openings and more hip room per given waist.
I also know some guys and gals who would have to wear guy fit. So, whatever keeps ya in the saddle.

thanks... i probably could have just tried them on and once I bought them no one would have known, but I usually order everything via the internet and didn't wanna get stuck spending $$ for something that's not comfy. guess this will get me into the store to at least make sure that they fit.

TrekCyclerChic said:
is there a difference between mens bike shorts and womens?
The shape of the chamois, and sometimes where/how they stitch it. I also agree with Conniebiker about the smaller leg diameters on men's shorts.

I have bloke's bibs because I couldn't find any cut for females, but prefer women's shorts.

With the bloke's bibs I don't have a problem with loose waist or tight hips because the material is so stretchy -- and I definitely don't have a straight-up-and-down figure! With most women's street clothing, when things fit nicely around my hips the waistband is loose enough to fit one or two clenched fists into the gap -- but the leg grippers are noticeably tighter and I would prefer them to be looser. Oh, and sometimes the men's chamois bends and folds as if to accommodate certain anatomical parts that I don't have, which can look and feel a bit... um, weird! :D

Mouse Potato said:
The shape of the chamois, and sometimes where/how they stitch it. I also agree with Conniebiker about the smaller leg diameters on men's shorts.

I have bloke's bibs because I couldn't find any cut for females, but prefer women's shorts.

With the bloke's bibs I don't have a problem with loose waist or tight hips because the material is so stretchy -- and I definitely don't have a straight-up-and-down figure! With most women's street clothing, when things fit nicely around my hips the waistband is loose enough to fit one or two clenched fists into the gap -- but the leg grippers are noticeably tighter and I would prefer them to be looser. Oh, and sometimes the men's chamois bends and folds as if to accommodate certain anatomical parts that I don't have, which can look and feel a bit... um, weird! :D

hmmm....i'm a dude and the leg openings are always too tight for me. either i'm fat or i have big legs. i'd rather think the former is true.

now...how to order or try on women's shorts w/o anyone noticing :confused:

cheapie said:
hmmm....i'm a dude and the leg openings are always too tight for me. either i'm fat or i have big legs. i'd rather think the former is true.

now...how to order or try on women's shorts w/o anyone noticing :confused:
hehe have fun with that... i was made to look like a fool for buying a pair of mens shoes... they were just regular sneakers too... I asked to try them on,a nd she was like "they are for YOU?" and i was like, yeah is that a problem? lol...
lukily bike shorts look alike, so take a few pair of mens in at the same time as the chicks... no one will ever notice! Good luck!

I have to say womens shorts are far better. I used to cycle with mens shorts until I finally became aware of the fact that there are ladies shorts out there - wouldn't exactly call it paradise but a great improvement! I found that the chamois was padded and stitched um, well ... more women specific!

I must admit though, to be able to wear my sponsor's colours for racing I have to wear a men's bib with obviously the men's padding and I can't say that I suffer too much (would probably die of discomfort without the ladies saddle!)

I wish I found this post sooner. I purchased some womans bike shorts because they were out of my size in the mens. I put them on and they fit great except for the legs holes were too big. I had to take them back. I will be getting the mens because I like the tighter fitting legs.

You have to be comfortable but...something to think about ladies...if there isn't a market for women's cycling clothing then they'll quit making it for us. I just wish they would realize not all women are a size 8 and not all women like their jersey skin tight! I'm a size 12/14 and an XL jersey doesn't allow me to breath comfortably. I HAVE to buy unisex or men's. :(