Miche Wheels, Anyone had any experiences with them?

Gretzky1

Aug 14, 2009
Hey Guys

I was wondering if anyone has had anything to do with Miche Wheels, they are made by Michelin.
I have never heard of them before, my LBS has some in stock, and altho they look pretty hot, i havent had much luck finding any reviews on them.
The only reviews i have been able to find are the usual sales pitch ones.

Has anyone out there used or heard anything about them?

Thanks in advance guys

Gretzky1 said:
Hey Guys

I was wondering if anyone has had anything to do with Miche Wheels, they are made by Michelin.
I have never heard of them before, my LBS has some in stock, and altho they look pretty hot, i havent had much luck finding any reviews on them.
The only reviews i have been able to find are the usual sales pitch ones.

Has anyone out there used or heard anything about them?

Thanks in advance guys

Michelin doesn't make wheels. Miche hubs are supposed to be ok. Nothing special.

Hey, Miche is Michelin.

I have a catalogue of Miche, and it says that it is made by Michelin

Gretzky1 said:
Hey, Miche is Michelin.

I have a catalogue of Miche, and it says that it is made by Michelin
I don't know anything about whether or not Miche (Italian) has any affiliation with Michelin (French), or vice versa.

Most of what Miche seems to make, now, are related to TRACK/(Pista) components ... and, Miche "Track" hubs, for example, are one of the few brands that seem to still be readily available for hand laced wheels -- the only other brands that 'I' am familiar with which make track hubs are Shimano & Formula ... Miche hubs are priced in between the two.

Of course, there may/must be other companies which still make Track hubs (e.g., Gipiemme).

Are the Miche wheels you are looking intended for the TRACK or are they intended for the ROAD?

Just did some online research. Miche is Michelin all right, but not "Michelin" as in the world-wide tire giant. The Miche company was started in 1919 in Italy by Ferdinando Michelin to manufacturer bicycle components after WWI, and is still run by his family there. One source for road wheels states that the wheels are completely built, not just "finished", in Italy.

they have some road accesories but i heard bad comments on them

Marcel Wust says in this review of a Viner Maxima that the deep Miche wheels use non-dimpled Zipp 404 rims. Unfortunately, he doesn't really comment on the wheels, but says that this is the best bike he's ever ridden. I know we're all suss' about magazine reviews, but those done by Wust and Boardman in Pro Cycling UK were more subjective than most

Pro Test: Viner Maxima Review - BikeRadar

This is the pdf of the same thing, but with more pictures.

www.vinerbicycles.com/MarcelWust-ProCycling-May08.pdf

I've got a Miche track disc wheel. It's a Zipp 900 disc on a Miche hub. Recently I took the hub to pieces to service it, and found the design is average, a very thin spacer sleeve sits between the bearings. Compressing the axle bolts over time compresses the axle sleeve resulting in side to side play which you then need to add spacers to fix.

It's not the best bit of gear I've ever owned, nor the worst. At the time I bought it, it represented okay value for money. I've done about a million races on it and it's held up well to plenty of abuse (and travel).

The other Miche bit I use regularly is their track cogs. Pretty ingenuous design that stops you requiring a chain whip to install/remove the cog, and cause with the carrier system you are only ever removing the lockring, it doesn't tighten with use and you don't skin your knuckles removing it. That's a good thing.

alfeng said:
I don't know anything about whether or not Miche (Italian) has any affiliation with Michelin (French), or vice versa.

Most of what Miche seems to make, now, are related to TRACK/(Pista) components ... and, Miche "Track" hubs, for example, are one of the few brands that seem to still be readily available for hand laced wheels -- the only other brands that 'I' am familiar with which make track hubs are Shimano & Formula ... Miche hubs are priced in between the two.

Of course, there may/must be other companies which still make Track hubs (e.g., Gipiemme).

Are the Miche wheels you are looking intended for the TRACK or are they intended for the ROAD?

I was looking at the Miche wheels for Road.

I think im better off sticking to Campag, already running campag for everything else but just liked the look of the Miche Wheels.

dhk2 said:
Just did some online research. Miche is Michelin all right, but not "Michelin" as in the world-wide tire giant. The Miche company was started in 1919 in Italy by Ferdinando Michelin to manufacturer bicycle components after WWI, and is still run by his family there. One source for road wheels states that the wheels are completely built, not just "finished", in Italy.

Ahhh, i knew i had seen it said Michelin in the catalogue, i just thought they were the same.

Have been using Miche track wheels on my fixie (commuting, training etc) for some time now, no problems, no need for any adjustments so far - high value for money.