Michelin innertubes worth the price?

Thomas Reynolds <[email protected]> wrote:
>[email protected] (H) wrote :
>>Arthur Harris <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>Oh really? Could you quantify that "MUCH higher penalty"?

>>If the weight is along the tire it takes twice as much energy to get it
>>going under acceleration (basic physics).

>A long discussion in this forum a couple of years ago pushed the
>conclusion that, while your statement is technically correct,

Not even that, since of course the weight of an inner tube is not on the
very outer circumference of the wheel.

[I suppose you could argue that the statement is correct but irrelevant.]

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:52:03 -0400, "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]>
may have said:

>Michelin makes a latex innertube, for slightly more than double the
>price of a generic innertube.
>
>Is it worth it?

Not to me. You must decide if it's worth it for you.

> It's thinner, lighter, more flexible and all that. But
>is it any more puncture resistant than a plain old rubber innertube?

Demonstrably not.

>Would one stand less of a chance of getting a flat with this innertube?

No.

Latex tubes also leak at a higher natural rate than butyl tubes. For
the rider whose usage is not daily, I consider them a poor choice
since they increase the likelihood that the tire will be low or flat
when the bike is next ridden. For the daily rider and/or for one who
does proper preflight checkls and maintenance, it's just a matter of
an increase in reinflation frequency; not a big drawback there in my
estimation.