Microwave oven rant. Rice.

jmcquown wrote:
> Kate Connally wrote:
>> Gini wrote:
>>
>>> "Kate Connally" wrote

>>> ==
>>> I thought the beeper could be turned off on all of them--as it is on
>>> my very cheap, BOTL Kenmore.

>> Huh????? Where did that come from? What beeper?
>>
>> Kate

> CROSSPOSTING DELETED
>
> The OP is complaining about when you press each number on the keypad it goes
> "beep". Mine does, but I don't get all worked up about it :)

So does mine, and I consider it a feature. It's a confidence beep, so I
don't have to keep moving my visual attention from the keypad to the
display and back for every stroke to make sure it was registered.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Terri <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Terri <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Microwaves, eco-friendly ovens, useless for cooking food

> > yeah, what the hell good is a screwdriver. I mean, you can't drill
> > holes with it.

> Your planetary customs are quaint and curious. On Urth we use
> a drill for drilling holes.
> >
> > You people

> *My people* were gathering hot rocks to cook escargots with garlic while
> yours were still grooming each other's pelts and pointing at the sun.
>
> have no concept of "the right tool for the job".
> Hey I'm not the one who hasn't figured out how babies get here!
> Just
> > because something isn't the right tool for EVERY job doesn't mean it's
> > just plain useless overall.

> I really don't think someone who never finished reading " What's Happening
> To My Body" has any business giving advice on the proper use of tools.
> However, in the name of edification you may find this a bit less
> intimidating than the above mentioned works:
> http://www.villagevoice.com/arts/0402,collins,50176,12.html

Aren't you the one who said, "Microwaves, eco-friendly ovens, useless
for cooking food"?

Useless for cooking food.

Yeah, you can't brown in it, and you can't cook bread in it, therefore
it's useless for cooking food.

It can't do some things, therefore it's completely and utterly useless.
Right?

jmcquown wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
>
>>Gini wrote:
>>

>>>"Kate Connally" wrote

>>>==
>>>I thought the beeper could be turned off on all of them--as it is on
>>>my very cheap, BOTL Kenmore.

>>Huh????? Where did that come from? What beeper?
>>
>>Kate

> CROSSPOSTING DELETED
>
> The OP is complaining about when you press each number on the keypad it goes
> "beep". Mine does, but I don't get all worked up about it :)

Yeah, but the post I was responding to had edited out
the reference to beeping, leaving every thing else in,
apparently, and then reponded to my reply referencing
the deleted beeping reference. Sheesh!

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Aren't you the one who said, "Microwaves, eco-friendly ovens, useless
> for cooking food"?

I said lots42 things.
I said Michael Moore, Nestle, escargots, garlic and that I use my
microwave for reheating and defrosting because I always check my nonsense
before psoting to usernet. Do you?

> Useless for cooking food.
>
> Yeah, you can't brown in it, and you can't cook bread in it, therefore
> it's useless for cooking food.

Define "food".

> It can't do some things, therefore it's completely and utterly useless.

Not at all. Even you have some uses, for example. Being used for
entertainment and mockery is but two of those uses.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Adam Funk <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Much easier than stirring constantly to keep rice from sticking to a
> > saucepan.

> You don't even need to stir it.

You don't need to stir rice in a saucepan on a stovetop, either. Or
rather, you stir it once -- when you add it to the boiling water. Slap
the lid on and leave it until it's done. Ridiculously easy. Of course
I am assuming you're using good quality rice (hint: not M*n*t* R*c*) and
the correct rice:water proportions.

> Those who refuse to try rice in a microwave are idiots.

Idiots are people who refuse to stop using a perfectly satisfactory
method in favor of a different one? I see.

Here I was thinking idiots are people who make things up and then post
them to Usenet as facts.

--
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes
It's too confused to make sense, so let's make nonsense.

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <[email protected]> wrote

> > Microwaves, eco-friendly ovens, useless for cooking food

> yeah, what the hell good is a screwdriver. I mean, you can't drill
> holes with it.
>
> You people have no concept of "the right tool for the job". Just
> because something isn't the right tool for EVERY job doesn't mean it's
> just plain useless overall.

Am-Zing! You have absolutely no idea what we were
talking about.

--oTTo--

On 2007-07-26, anTonOMasia wrote:

> Two words: "rice cooker"
>
> And an earl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker
>
> Use the right tool for the job.

I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

--
The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to
chance. [Robert R. Coveyou]

Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2007-07-26, anTonOMasia wrote:
>
>> Two words: "rice cooker"
>>
>> And an earl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker
>>
>> Use the right tool for the job.

> I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
> microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

Since I got a counter top steamer I have not made rice in anything else.
We use the steamer for rice and a veg at least three times a week. Now
that corn season is upon us it will be either rice or corn and a veg six
or seven times a week.

Matthew

--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Otto Bahn" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > You people have no concept of "the right tool for the job". Just
> > because something isn't the right tool for EVERY job doesn't mean it's
> > just plain useless overall.

> Am-Zing! You have absolutely no idea what we were
> talking about.

Amazing! I know exactly the words you wrote. If you ascribe completely
different meanings to them, that's YOUR problem.

In article <[email protected]>,
Terri <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Aren't you the one who said, "Microwaves, eco-friendly ovens, useless
> > for cooking food"?

> I said lots42 things.
> I said Michael Moore, Nestle, escargots, garlic and that I use my
> microwave for reheating and defrosting because I always check my nonsense
> before psoting to usernet. Do you?

And you said that you can't cook in a microwave.

You plainly don't know what all "cooking" encompasses.

"Matthew L. Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Adam Funk wrote:
>> On 2007-07-26, anTonOMasia wrote:
>>
>>> Two words: "rice cooker"
>>>
>>> And an earl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker
>>>
>>> Use the right tool for the job.

>> I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
>> microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

> Since I got a counter top steamer I have not made rice in anything else.
> We use the steamer for rice and a veg at least three times a week. Now
> that corn season is upon us it will be either rice or corn and a veg six
> or seven times a week.
>
> Matthew

Dee, who commandeered a family room adjoining the kitchen just for the
over-run ;-))

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Terri <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> > Yeah, you can't brown in it, and you can't cook bread in it,
>> > therefore it's useless for cooking food.

>> Define "food".

> Rice.

Okay, that's one item and I concur that rice is food.
Now, tell me:
1. Why would one pay money for an appliance used only for
cooking rice when the top of the range method works just as well, if
not better, and may also be used for the manufacturing of _many_ food
items?

Take all the space you need to convince me why I need a microwave
for cooking rice. What makes it indispensable and not useless in the
kitchen?

Go ahead and sell me a microwave. Take all the space you need.

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Terri <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> > Aren't you the one who said, "Microwaves, eco-friendly ovens,
>> > useless for cooking food"?

>> I said lots42 things.
>> I said Michael Moore, Nestle, escargots, garlic and that I use my
>> microwave for reheating and defrosting because I always check my
>> nonsense before psoting to usernet. Do you?

> And you said that you can't cook in a microwave.

Pay attention Goob! If you can't do any better than this you're
going to start boring me to tears and I demand you dance for my
entertainment!

> You plainly don't know what all "cooking" encompasses.

Right. That must be it. Before microwave ovens no one knew how to cook
food. All my easter eggs just sat around in cold water. None of my cakes
ever rose, my roasts were raw (which is why I invented sushi, btw)
and no Alaskas ever got baked.

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <[email protected]> wrote

> > > You people have no concept of "the right tool for the job". Just
> > > because something isn't the right tool for EVERY job doesn't mean it's
> > > just plain useless overall.

> > Am-Zing! You have absolutely no idea what we were
> > talking about.

> Amazing! I know exactly the words you wrote. If you ascribe completely
> different meanings to them, that's YOUR problem.

Either you're an idiot, or you could find the place where I called
microwaves just plain useless overall.

--oTTo--

Betting on idot

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Jerry Bank <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> How about rice in a rice cooker. What could be easier?

> The microwave and a microwave-safe dish with a cover.

Ziploc plastic bowl and cover work just as well for rice.

As for a rice cooker, where am I going to fit it next to the regular
coffeemaker, single-cup coffeemaker, espresso machine, George Foreman
grill, microwave, rotisserie chicken cooker, food processor, blender and
crock pot?

If you want to talk about unitasking, then my trips to Whole Foods would
fit the bill since I only go there for rolled oats which then get ground
into flour and used for everything and anything.

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:09:12 -0400, Polarhound
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> Jerry Bank <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> How about rice in a rice cooker. What could be easier?

>> The microwave and a microwave-safe dish with a cover.

>Ziploc plastic bowl and cover work just as well for rice.

So does a Revereware saucepan on top of a gas stove. This is rice,
not some complicated or delicate dish. It's easy to cook in any
number of ways. I don't get why there's a DSW going on here about
cooking rice.

BW

Polarhound <[email protected]> wrote:
>As for a rice cooker, where am I going to fit it next to the regular
>coffeemaker, single-cup coffeemaker, espresso machine, George Foreman
>grill, microwave, rotisserie chicken cooker, food processor, blender and
>crock pot?

Tie it to the back of the dog?

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from [email protected] "It's not the pot that grows the flower

> On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:09:12 -0400, Polarhound
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> The microwave and a microwave-safe dish with a cover.

>> Ziploc plastic bowl and cover work just as well for rice.

> So does a Revereware saucepan on top of a gas stove. This is rice,
> not some complicated or delicate dish. It's easy to cook in any
> number of ways. I don't get why there's a DSW going on here about
> cooking rice.

By the time you are done getting the water to boil, I will be halfway
through eating.

David DeLaney wrote:
> Polarhound <[email protected]> wrote:
>> As for a rice cooker, where am I going to fit it next to the regular
>> coffeemaker, single-cup coffeemaker, espresso machine, George Foreman
>> grill, microwave, rotisserie chicken cooker, food processor, blender and
>> crock pot?

> Tie it to the back of the dog?

I have cats.