Microwave oven rant. Rice.

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:27:51 -0400, [email protected] wrote:

>So does a Revereware saucepan on top of a gas stove. This is rice,
>not some complicated or delicate dish. It's easy to cook in any
>number of ways. I don't get why there's a DSW going on here about
>cooking rice.

What does the Department of Social Welfare have to do with rice
cookery?

Darla
Nova Scotia, Canada
--
"I'm still here, you bastards!"
---Papillon

http://www.yougotta.com/DARLA/
--

* Adam Funk wrote, On 27/07/07 03:55 PM:
> On 2007-07-26, anTonOMasia wrote:
>
>> Two words: "rice cooker"
>>
>> And an earl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker
>>
>> Use the right tool for the job.

> I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
> microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

Store it in teh microwave!

--

anTon O'Masia [ antonomasia <at> gmail <dot> com ]

* Matthew L. Martin wrote, On 27/07/07 04:30 PM:
> Adam Funk wrote:
>> On 2007-07-26, anTonOMasia wrote:
>>
>>> Two words: "rice cooker"
>>>
>>> And an earl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker
>>>
>>> Use the right tool for the job.

>> I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
>> microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

> Since I got a counter top steamer I have not made rice in anything else.
> We use the steamer for rice and a veg at least three times a week. Now
> that corn season is upon us it will be either rice or corn and a veg six
> or seven times a week.

Please to be posting model info., for I shall shortlist one
for when the rice cooker goes TU. Thx.

--

anTon O'Masia [ antonomasia <at> gmail <dot> com ]

In article <[email protected]>,
Terri <[email protected]> wrote:

> > You plainly don't know what all "cooking" encompasses.
> >

> Right. That must be it. Before microwave ovens no one knew how to cook
> food.

You might as well say "before rubber scrapers came along, no one knew
how to get the batter out of the bowl". Tools evolve, new ones come
along all the time. The microwave oven is a tool, and is valid for
cooking. Does it do everything? No more than you would use your rubber
scraper to cut dough--but in your world, that makes your rubber scraper
utterly useless, in the same way that lack of browning ability makes a
microwave useless.

The right tool for the job.

anTonOMasia wrote:
> * Adam Funk wrote, On 27/07/07 03:55 PM:
>> On 2007-07-26, anTonOMasia wrote:
>>
>>> Two words: "rice cooker"
>>>
>>> And an earl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker
>>>
>>> Use the right tool for the job.

>> I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
>> microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

> Store it in teh microwave!

Can't. That's where I thaw frozen meat since the cats haven't figured
out how to open it.

Yet.

Matthew

--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?

anTonOMasia wrote:
> * Matthew L. Martin wrote, On 27/07/07 04:30 PM:
>> Adam Funk wrote:

>>> I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
>>> microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

>> Since I got a counter top steamer I have not made rice in anything
>> else. We use the steamer for rice and a veg at least three times a
>> week. Now that corn season is upon us it will be either rice or corn
>> and a veg six or seven times a week.

> Please to be posting model info., for I shall shortlist one for when the
> rice cooker goes TU. Thx.

<http://www.acitydiscount.com/Counter-Top-Convection-Steamer-Market-Forge-ET-6E.0.47103.1.1.htm?PPCID=9&link=2700569>

Matthew

--

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 07:02:03 -0400, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>disputed that, at which point you said "define food". I gave you an
>example of food--rice.

I take it we can safely assume your understanding of the word "cook" is
as good as your understanding of the word "define."

¬R http://users.bestweb.net/~notr/cats "Would you like to watch a movie
about George Wendt while eating Chinese food with a cat?" --Andy Simmons

In article <[email protected]>,
Glenn Knickerbocker <[email protected]> wrote:

> >disputed that, at which point you said "define food". I gave you an
> >example of food--rice.

> I take it we can safely assume your understanding of the word "cook" is
> as good as your understanding of the word "define."

I understand perfectly the meaning of the word "cook".

Did you know that foods cook in a refrigerator? Probably not. You're
too busy "cooking" your steak well-done.

* Matthew L. Martin wrote, On 28/07/07 09:33 AM:
> anTonOMasia wrote:
>> * Matthew L. Martin wrote, On 27/07/07 04:30 PM:

>>> Since I got a counter top steamer I have not made rice in anything
>>> else. We use the steamer for rice and a veg at least three times a
>>> week. Now that corn season is upon us it will be either rice or corn
>>> and a veg six or seven times a week.

>> Please to be posting model info., for I shall shortlist one for when
>> the rice cooker goes TU. Thx.

> <http://www.acitydiscount.com/Counter-Top-Convection-Steamer-Market-Forge-ET-6E.0.47103.1.1.htm?PPCID=9&link=2700569>

That's one helluva rice cooker!
If I buy *two*, I'll save $10,574.06, which should almost
pay for next years' rice.

--

Polarhound <[email protected]> wrote:
>David DeLaney wrote:
>> Polarhound <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> As for a rice cooker, where am I going to fit it next to the regular
>>> coffeemaker, single-cup coffeemaker, espresso machine, George Foreman
>>> grill, microwave, rotisserie chicken cooker, food processor, blender and
>>> crock pot?

>> Tie it to the back of the dog?

>I have cats.

Ah, never mind then - it takes at least three cats.

Dave "Or else a device that ends up shooting streams of cooking rice across
the kitchen from cat to cat" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from [email protected] "It's not the pot that grows the flower

anTonOMasia wrote:
> * Matthew L. Martin wrote, On 28/07/07 09:33 AM:
>> anTonOMasia wrote:

>>> Please to be posting model info., for I shall shortlist one for when
>>> the rice cooker goes TU. Thx.

>> <http://www.acitydiscount.com/Counter-Top-Convection-Steamer-Market-Forge-ET-6E.0.47103.1.1.htm?PPCID=9&link=2700569>

> That's one helluva rice cooker!
> If I buy *two*, I'll save $10,574.06, which should almost pay for next
> years' rice.

Oops! I "cut" and "pasted" with my "mouse" the wrong "link". Try this:

<http://www99.epinions.com/content_282256576132>

Be warned, it does a *terrible* job frying chicken.

Matthew

--

"Matthew L. Martin" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > That's one helluva rice cooker!
> > If I buy *two*, I'll save $10,574.06, which should almost pay for next
> > years' rice.
> >

> Oops! I "cut" and "pasted" with my "mouse" the wrong "link". Try this:
>
> <http://www99.epinions.com/content_282256576132>
>
> Be warned, it does a *terrible* job frying chicken.

I have two of these Rival steamers that I bought for under $7 each at
garage sales and/or thrifts (and have seen several more since I bought
my two). Here is one used on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RIVAL-Automatic-Steamer-w-Rice-Bowl-Model-4450-Exc_W0
QQitemZ160140494342QQihZ006QQcategoryZ20672QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZV
iewItem

I've never tried them with rice (I tend to do my rice stove top, but
that's just me), but for veggies, they are tremendous. If you measure
the water out right, they shut themselves off when the water is used up,
but I'm usually right there, checking things as I go.

They can hold up to three artichokes, which is why I have two.

jt

No cluons were harmed when Matthew L. Martin wrote:
>Adam Funk wrote:
>> On 2007-07-26, anTonOMasia wrote:
>>
>>> Two words: "rice cooker"
>>>
>>> And an earl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker
>>>
>>> Use the right tool for the job.

>> I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
>> microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

>Since I got a counter top steamer I have not made rice in anything else.
>We use the steamer for rice and a veg at least three times a week. Now
>that corn season is upon us it will be either rice or corn and a veg six
>or seven times a week.

Yabbut what do you do for bunions?

Mark Edwards
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

No cluons were harmed when Terri wrote:
>What makes it indispensable and not useless in the
>kitchen?
>
>Go ahead and sell me a microwave. Take all the space you need.

Oh come on Terri. You're from Louisiana - do the words "road kill" mean
nothing to you, now that you're up in hoity-toity Idaho?

Mark Edwards
--

David DeLaney wrote:
> Polarhound <[email protected]> wrote:
>> David DeLaney wrote:
>>> Tie it to the back of the dog?

>> I have cats.

> Ah, never mind then - it takes at least three cats.
>
> Dave "Or else a device that ends up shooting streams of cooking rice across
> the kitchen from cat to cat" DeLaney

I have five cats, although it may become four before long if the newest
one doesn't start using the litterbox soon.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:09:12 -0400, Polarhound
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> The microwave and a microwave-safe dish with a cover.

>> Ziploc plastic bowl and cover work just as well for rice.

> So does a Revereware saucepan on top of a gas stove. This is rice,
> not some complicated or delicate dish. It's easy to cook in any
> number of ways. I don't get why there's a DSW going on here about
> cooking rice.

What does cooking rice have to do with Discount Shoe Warehouse?

No cluons were harmed when [email protected] wrote:
> I don't get why there's a DSW going on here about cooking rice.

Same here - steel bucket filled with water, cup or two of rice,
flamethrower. Easy peasy.

Mark Edwards
--

* Matthew L. Martin wrote, On 28/07/07 12:25 PM:
> anTonOMasia wrote:
>> * Matthew L. Martin wrote, On 28/07/07 09:33 AM:
>>>
>>> <http://www.acitydiscount.com/Counter-Top-Convection-Steamer-Market-Forge-ET-6E.0.47103.1.1.htm?PPCID=9&link=2700569>

>> That's one helluva rice cooker!
>> If I buy *two*, I'll save $10,574.06, which should almost pay for next
>> years' rice.
>>

> Oops! I "cut" and "pasted" with my "mouse" the wrong "link". Try this:
>
> <http://www99.epinions.com/content_282256576132>
>
> Be warned, it does a *terrible* job frying chicken.

So does my microwave.

--

anTon O'Masia [ antonomasia <at> gmail <dot> com ]