Misty lenses

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Alan Moffatt, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. Alan Moffatt

    Alan Moffatt Guest

    Anyone got any tips about keeping specs lenses from misting up when they are cold and you are hot.
    The opticians told me that none of the products sold for the purpose actually works, and I haven't
    seen any anyway.

    Riding with my head turned to the side to allow the cool air to blow through works, but I keep
    bumping into things.

    Alan

    Tags:

  2. "Alan Moffatt" <[email protected]>typed

    > Anyone got any tips about keeping specs lenses from misting up when they are cold and you are hot.
    > The opticians told me that none of the products sold for the purpose actually works, and I haven't
    > seen any anyway.

    > Riding with my head turned to the side to allow the cool air to blow through works, but I keep
    > bumping into things.

    Cleaning with washing-up liquid helps a little and is cheap.

    Try to wear waterproof clothing only when it's p****ing down. Don't overdress for the conditions.
    Keep the collar of your jacket open unless it's very wet Lift your specs off your face when you are
    stationary

  3. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    We covered this a few weeks ago. I still don't worry about it as my glasses[1] only steam up when
    I'm stationary. They clear once I'm moving in about two seconds and if they are too fogged up to see
    through, usually one can slide them down ones nose enough to see over them until they have cleared.

    [1]I am talking about plastic cycling glasses (clear/dark or light intensifying) here not spectacles

    "Alan Moffatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone got any tips about keeping specs lenses from misting up when they
    are
    > cold and you are hot. The opticians told me that none of the products sold for the purpose
    > actually works, and I haven't seen any anyway.
    >
    > Riding with my head turned to the side to allow the cool air to blow
    through
    > works, but I keep bumping into things.
    >
    > Alan

  4. Chris Heys

    Chris Heys Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 15:50:30 GMT, "Alan Moffatt" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anyone got any tips about keeping specs lenses from misting up when they are cold and you are hot.
    >The opticians told me that none of the products sold for the purpose actually works, and I haven't
    >seen any anyway.
    >
    >Riding with my head turned to the side to allow the cool air to blow through works, but I keep
    >bumping into things.
    >
    >Alan

    I asked the same question a few weeks ago, the general consensus was to dip the glasses in dilute
    washing up water and leave to dry. Must say it works a treat! Thankyou URC!

    Chris

  5. Alan Moffatt

    Alan Moffatt Guest

    "Chris Heys" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 15:50:30 GMT, "Alan Moffatt" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Anyone got any tips about keeping specs lenses from misting up when they
    are
    > >cold and you are hot. The opticians told me that none of the products
    sold
    > >for the purpose actually works, and I haven't seen any anyway.
    > >
    > >Riding with my head turned to the side to allow the cool air to blow
    through
    > >works, but I keep bumping into things.
    > >
    > >Alan
    > >
    > I asked the same question a few weeks ago, the general consensus was to dip the glasses in dilute
    > washing up water and leave to dry. Must say it works a treat! Thankyou URC!
    >
    > Chris

    Sorry to have revived a question so soon, and thanks for the tips.

    Helen, I definitely do not overdress for the conditions. In fact, I got a telling off from an old
    boy who pulled up next to me at the lights the other day for not 'looking after myself better'! I
    have much more trouble keeping cool than keeping warm.

    Hence the tendency to steam up!

    Alan

  6. The Mark

    The Mark Guest

    Alan Moffatt wrote:
    > Anyone got any tips about keeping specs lenses from misting up when they are cold and you are hot.
    > The opticians told me that none of the products sold for the purpose actually works, and I haven't
    > seen any anyway.
    >
    > Riding with my head turned to the side to allow the cool air to blow through works, but I keep
    > bumping into things.
    >
    > Alan
    When I took up sub-aqua 20 years ago go the practice was to spit into the mask to stop it misting
    up. I don't know if it would work with specs.
    --
    Mark

    I get pissed off occaisionally but it's much preferred to being pissed on.

  7. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Alan Moffatt wrote:
    > Anyone got any tips about keeping specs lenses from misting up when they are cold and you are hot.
    > The opticians told me that none of the products sold for the purpose actually works, and I haven't
    > seen any anyway.
    >
    > Riding with my head turned to the side to allow the cool air to blow through works, but I keep
    > bumping into things.
    >
    > Alan

    There is a fantastic product for inside car windows called Holts Clear Start or similar which
    completely prevents condensation inside a car - it may help with specs. Note if you wipe it on any
    further wiping will remove it.

    An optician gave me a cannister of something called Fog Buster made by Shield saying it worked
    wonders on specs .. at least all specs except scratch coated ones .. just like the ones he'd just
    dispensed to me. From the instructions it sounds exactly like Holts Clear Start ;-)

  8. "Alan Moffatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Anyone got any tips about keeping specs lenses from misting up when they
    are
    > cold and you are hot. The opticians told me that none of the products sold for the purpose
    > actually works, and I haven't seen any anyway.

    Since using anti reflective lenses I have never had a fogging problem. a/r lenses also give far
    better vision anyway so are well worth getting.

  9. "Alan Moffatt" <[email protected]>typed

    > Helen, I definitely do not overdress for the conditions. In fact, I got a telling off from an old
    > boy who pulled up next to me at the lights the other day for not 'looking after myself better'! I
    > have much more trouble keeping cool than keeping warm.

    > Hence the tendency to steam up!

    Ummm... I am hard of understanding. Whatever the old chap might be thinking, if you have trouble
    keeping cool, you are overdressed!

    Your body over heats -> you sweat -> sweat evaporates -> air saturated with water vapour leaves you
    -> water condenses on cold spectacles.

    I have been told off for wearing shorts in the winter but if I am comfortable then my clothing is
    right for *me*.

    I think you should try to dress and cycle in a way that you don't break out into a sweat.

    Condensation will still be a problem in some sorts of weather, granted.

  10. Alan Moffatt

    Alan Moffatt Guest

    "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Alan Moffatt" <[email protected]>typed
    >
    > > Helen, I definitely do not overdress for the conditions. In fact, I got
    > > telling off from an old boy who pulled up next to me at the lights the
    other
    > > day for not 'looking after myself better'! I have much more trouble
    keeping
    > > cool than keeping warm.
    >
    > > Hence the tendency to steam up!
    >
    > Ummm... I am hard of understanding. Whatever the old chap might be thinking, if you have trouble
    > keeping cool, you are overdressed!
    >
    > Your body over heats -> you sweat -> sweat evaporates -> air saturated with water vapour leaves
    > you -> water condenses on cold spectacles.
    >
    > I have been told off for wearing shorts in the winter but if I am comfortable then my clothing is
    > right for *me*.
    >
    > I think you should try to dress and cycle in a way that you don't break out into a sweat.

    Hey, now I'm getting a telling off from both directions!

    I stick my head out of the door in the morning and estimate the temperature. I dress so that I start
    the ride on the cold side. But after the 3.5 mile pull up to Grenoside (this is Sheffield we're
    talking about) I'm going to be warm, however much I take off!

    Maybe you won't sweat if you're just pottering down the road, but I combine exertion with commuting.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one.

    Alan

  11. "Alan Moffatt" <[email protected]>typed

    > Hey, now I'm getting a telling off from both directions!

    > I stick my head out of the door in the morning and estimate the temperature. I dress so that I
    > start the ride on the cold side. But after the 3.5 mile pull up to Grenoside (this is Sheffield
    > we're talking about) I'm going to be warm, however much I take off!

    The last time I was in that area was when the AUK AGM was at Wortley Hall. I studied in Shaffield
    and lived there for over 6 years though, so I appreciate the problems. Tchibo are selling indoor &
    outdoor thermometers, as well as 'weather stations' at the moment so if you got one, you wouldn't
    have to stick your head out to decide what to wear ;-)

    > Maybe you won't sweat if you're just pottering down the road, but I combine exertion with
    > commuting. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

    I'm sure that's true but if you want to avoid steaming up your specs, you'll have to reduce steam
    production!

    Make sure all you exhale is directed away from your specs too.

  12. Peter Fox

    Peter Fox Guest

    Check which side of the lenses is being fogged. Whichever side it is needs more fresh air and
    less breath.

    WRT the original problem. Try wearing a hat with a peak. The object of this is to stop too much
    steamy breath being dragged _up_ your face with the wind.

    It is a very marginal thing so keep experimenting.

    >Cleaning with washing-up liquid helps a little and is cheap.
    FWIW use soap or liquid hand soap on plastic lenses rather than washing up detergent. As plastic
    lens wearers will know, they tend to get a slight milky/greasy coat which doesn't seem to happen so
    much with glass. This isn't a matter of 'protecting' the lens against wicked detergent, it just
    seems to combat the film much better.

    (If you like, wash one lens in hair shampoo and the other in hair conditioner - the detergents in
    each should be opposite polarities which is what I believe makes the difference.)

    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded
    [email protected] www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm Witham Cycling

  13. Alan Moffatt

    Alan Moffatt Guest

    "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Alan Moffatt" <[email protected]>typed
    >

    > > Hey, now I'm getting a telling off from both directions!
    >
    > > I stick my head out of the door in the morning and estimate the
    temperature.
    > > I dress so that I start the ride on the cold side. But after the 3.5
    mile
    > > pull up to Grenoside (this is Sheffield we're talking about) I'm going
    to be
    > > warm, however much I take off!
    >
    > The last time I was in that area was when the AUK AGM was at Wortley Hall. I studied in Shaffield
    > and lived there for over 6 years though, so I appreciate the problems.

    Don't get me wrong, I love living and cycling round here.

    Alan