most visited websites for bicyclists

peewee

Guest
Howdy all. I am new to bicycling and would like to know what are the
best websites to visit for getting more information, must-have items
and such? Thanks for your help!

peewee wrote:

> Howdy all. I am new to bicycling and would like to know what are the
> best websites to visit for getting more information, must-have items
> and such? Thanks for your help!

"Best" is certainly a matter of personal preference. But here are some
you might like:

http://www.bicyclinglife.com is slanted towards those new to bicycling,
plus practical use of bikes.

http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/ is great reading, much of it with a
touring and somewhat philosophical bent.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/#articles is terrific on technical
stuff, mostly articles by Sheldon Brown, a very knowledgeable guy.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/index.html has the Frequently Asked
Questions from the bicycling discussion groups, mostly articles written
by Jobst Brandt, a very knowledgeable guy.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

On 15 Dec 2004 20:03:54 -0800, "peewee" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Howdy all. I am new to bicycling and would like to know what are the
>best websites to visit for getting more information, must-have items
>and such? Thanks for your help!

For info:

http://sheldonbrown.com/articles.html

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html

For accessories, clothing, and some parts:

http://www.performancebike.com/

http://www.nashbar.com/

For handbuilt wheels:

http://www.vecchios.com/

For the hard to find:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/parts.html

Life is Good!
Jeff

"peewee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Howdy all. I am new to bicycling and would like to know what are the
> best websites to visit for getting more information, must-have items
> and such? Thanks for your help!

For following the racing scene:

www.cyclingnews.com
www.velonews.com
www.pezcyclingnews.com
www.dailypeloton.com
www.procycling.com

more cycling retailers:

www.coloradocyclist.com
www.excelsports.com

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:19:03 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
<[email protected]> wrote:

[links to his own websites]

There you go, folks: Scharf genuinely does listen only to the voices
inside his own head :)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

peewee wrote:
> Howdy all. I am new to bicycling and would like to know what are the
> best websites to visit for getting more information, must-have items
> and such? Thanks for your help!

You've gotten some good suggestions. Sheldon Brown's site is the first
one I turn to when a question comes up about, well, bicycles. To
refresh your memory, it's at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/articles.html
Bicycling life and the late Ken Kifer's pages are also very good.

I'd also suggest you take a look at how to ride on roads at
http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/index.htm

Pat

<[email protected]> wrote:

> peewee wrote:
>> Howdy all. I am new to bicycling and would like to know what are the
>> best websites to visit for getting more information, must-have items
>> and such? Thanks for your help!

> http://bicyclelighting.com
> http://bicycleshortlist.com
> http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com
> http://commutebike.com
> http://foldingbicycle.net
> http://bicyclehelmets.info

Add pricepoint.com to that.

--
Bill (?) Baka

Bill Baka wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:19:03 GMT, Steven M. Scharf
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> peewee wrote:
>>
>>> Howdy all. I am new to bicycling and would like to know what are the
>>> best websites to visit for getting more information, must-have items
>>> and such? Thanks for your help!

>> http://bicyclelighting.com
>> http://bicycleshortlist.com
>> http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com
>> http://commutebike.com
>> http://foldingbicycle.net
>> http://bicyclehelmets.info
>>

> Add pricepoint.com to that.

Wouldn't fit! Pricepoint isn't written by the "World's Greatest
Authority!" ;-)

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Jeff Starr wrote:

>Yeah, Park tool, I knew I forgot something. Good addition;-)

Even my local drug store (Long’s) now sells many of the more common Park
Tools. So if I need a tool at 10:30 at night, I have a place to go to
get it, as well as tubes, pumps, Skab patches, etc. They also carry a
lot of CatEye products. It’s in the same strip mall with a banker’s
hours bike shop, that I rarely see open.

Bill Baka wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:19:03 GMT, Steven M. Scharf
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> peewee wrote:
>>
>>> Howdy all. I am new to bicycling and would like to know what are the
>>> best websites to visit for getting more information, must-have items
>>> and such? Thanks for your help!

>> http://bicyclelighting.com
>> http://bicycleshortlist.com
>> http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com
>> http://commutebike.com
>> http://foldingbicycle.net
>> http://bicyclehelmets.info
>>

> Add pricepoint.com to that.

I looked at that site. Not a great selection.