Mountain Bikers Are Ruining the North Shore Ecosystem

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mike Vandeman, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:12:11 -0800
    A message from Ernie Crist
    Subject: FW: mountain bikers

    This is one typical complaint. There are plenty more available.

    Dear Mr. Crist Let me first apologize for phoning you home # at 5.30 pm I simply pulled your # from
    the internet.I certainly didn't want to disturb you may be you should post your email on the
    internet to avoid this from happening again I do like my privacy also sorry again. My name is
    .......... Dempsey Road and I speak for most residents who reside on this street. (East of Mountain
    Highway towards Braemar).We bought our home to retire, to enjoy the mountain trails walk our dogs
    enjoy the tranquility, the flora and fauna but during the last 2 years this area has become a zoo
    like Disneyland. The district decided beautifully to make Coleman street and up restricted parking
    and what everyone here knew was that it simply moved the problem to our area. SUV's park all along
    both sides of the road, we see them changing clothing, urinate in the rhododendrons, empty beer cans
    all over, race down hill from upper Dempsey at neck breaking speeds down hill and it is just a
    matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt or dies, such as cars backing out of drive ways,
    kids playing on the drive way and a ball goes on to the road and its business as usual, we have to
    get a few fatalities before the government takes action no matter how often they have been warned.
    We wrote a letter to the North Shore News, to no avail, ( we knew they would not publish it as they
    are getting paid for advertising for the biking shops and with a $ 25 million bonanza annually to
    the North Shore as they report, ( North Shore News February 15 2004) little chance they will print
    residents concerns. We have walked the Baden Powell trail for a decade, and nobody gives a damn
    about the erosion of the trails, the mountain bikes run the topsoil off, and the heavy rain water
    transforms the walking trials into muddy streams, tree roots are getting exposed, trees die and fall
    down. Biker enthusiasts are happily using chain saws higher up to fall trees to make jumping ramps,
    the sediments are rushing down and clogging culverts, resulting in excessive water in our back
    yards, fences shifting and its much more fun to bike through the bush, destroying new rejuvenating
    growth in fact to put it in simple terms they are destroying the ecosystem big time in the name of
    sport. I have already racked up large veterinary bills for glass cuts in my dogs pads, ( from
    discarded can tabs and broken bottles) which was once ( 3 years ago) a pristine forest. Constant
    advertising in the North Shore News portraying this area as the Mecca for mountain biking has pretty
    well destroyed our peaceful life in this area. My wife and I have been faithfully breaking down the
    jumping ramps on the pedestrian trails, we have had to jump aside for foul mouthed bikers racing
    down the pedestrian trails, taking our dogs out of their way and now we walk with a baseball bat as
    we will take the law in our own hands to protect our dogs and ourselves. We fondly remember the
    wildlife we had around this area but they are all but gone now, chased away by this "sport" The
    North Shore News further advised of a Mountain Bike Festival spanning Capilano to Seymour during
    August this year, , let the thousands of bikers come and ruin our forest even more. Interesting to
    attend an open house in a Lynn Valley School where the District proudly showed plans of making
    parking spaces so that more bikers can ruin our forest ( last year) . Don't misunderstand me, I am
    not an environmental freak, we are middle aged people living peacefully paying a hefty property tax
    to get away from the crime, hassle etc from down town, to enjoy nature, which is rapidly being
    destroyed in the name of sport. Get these people off the North Shore and let them wreck the
    ecosystem in their own communities why ours?????? Mr Crist, I read your article and anything you can
    do to put an end to this destruction would be greatly appreciated.

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    Tags:

  2. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    Sheesh. you'd think somebody with that kind of time on their hands would at least use paragraphs!

    Michael

> [...]
    > forest ( last year) . Don't misunderstand me, I am not an environmental
    freak,
    > we are middle aged people living peacefully paying a hefty property tax to
    get
    > away from the crime, hassle etc from down town, to enjoy nature, which is rapidly being destroyed
    > in the name of sport. Get these people off the
    North
    > Shore and let them wreck the ecosystem in their own communities why
    ours??????
    > Mr Crist, I read your article and anything you can do to put an end to
    this
    > destruction would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

  3. R.White

    R.White Guest

    Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:12:11 -0800 A message from Ernie Crist Subject: FW: mountain bikers
    <snip fake agenda>

    I saw pics in another post where horses had torn up a trail and yet not a word from you. Oh, that's
    right, it's not really about trails, the environment or habitat.

  4. Gazzer

    Gazzer Guest

    "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Sheesh. you'd think somebody with that kind of time on their hands would at least use paragraphs!
    >
    > Michael
    >

    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:12:11 -0800 A message from Ernie Crist Subject: FW: mountain bikers
    > >
    > > This is one typical complaint. There are plenty more available.
    > >
    > > Dear Mr. Crist

    snip

    > this
    > > destruction would be greatly appreciated.

    If this was from any other source I might be inclined to consider it credible.

    Michael, you could try trimming your messages to avoid unnessecary replication of MV's shite.

    cheers

    gaz

  5. On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:59:17 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    .Sheesh. you'd think somebody with that kind of time on their hands would at .least use paragraphs!

    Right. Ignore the issues. I think that has to do with my removing the HTML formatting, idiot.

    .Michael . . ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    .news:[email protected]... .> Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:12:11 -0800 .> A
    message from Ernie Crist .> Subject: FW: mountain bikers .> .> This is one typical complaint. There
[...]
    you can do to put an end to .this .> destruction would be greatly appreciated. .> .> === .> I am

  6. On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:43:04 +0000, Mike Vandeman wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:59:17 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > .Sheesh. you'd think somebody with that kind of time on their hands would at .least use
    > paragraphs!
    >
    > Right. Ignore the issues. I think that has to do with my removing the HTML formatting, idiot.

    So you're a PhD and can't do a cut-and-paste? And you're calling the other guy an idiot?

    --Kamus

    --
    o__ | If you're old, eat right and ride a decent bike. ,>/'_ | Q. (_)\(_) | Usenet posting`

  7. You're obviously a Typical Mountain Biker.

    Michael Paul wrote:
    > Sheesh. you'd think somebody with that kind of time on their hands would at least use paragraphs!
    >
    > Michael
    >

    > "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:12:11 -0800
    <crap

  8. B Good

    B Good Guest

    > SUV's park all along both sides of the road, we see them

    if you own the parking spot, have them towed....thats your choice.. or you can whine

    > changing clothing, urinate in the rhododendrons, empty beer cans all over,

    more illegal activity... simply report the problem... record license plates... record people...make
    the slobs clean-up.... install garbage cans? RCMP have to respond to calls of drunk drivers... make
    people responsible... theses arent biking issues.. they are people issues.

    > matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt or dies, such as cars
    backing
    > out of drive ways, kids playing on the drive way and a ball goes on to the
    road

    I know.... let your kids play in the DRIVE way... where cars DRIVE.... and you worry about the
    bikers runnin them over?... I'll bet you 8 out of 10 of those kids think mtn biking is cool, and
    probably want bikes...

    > and its business as usual, we have to get a few fatalities before the
    government
    > takes action no matter how often they have been warned. We wrote a letter to the North Shore News,
    > to no avail, ( we knew they
    would not
    > publish it as they are getting paid for advertising for the biking shops
    and
    > with a $ 25 million bonanza annually to the North Shore as they report,
    ( North
    > Shore News February 15 2004) little chance they will print residents
    concerns.
    > We have walked the Baden Powell trail for a decade, and nobody gives a
    damn
    > about the erosion of the trails, the mountain bikes run the topsoil off,
    and the
    > heavy rain water transforms the walking trials into muddy streams, tree
    roots
    > are getting exposed, trees die and fall down. Biker enthusiasts are
    happily
    > using chain saws higher up to fall trees to make jumping ramps, the
    sediments
    > are rushing down and clogging culverts, resulting in excessive water in
    our back
    > yards, fences shifting and its much more fun to bike through the bush, destroying new rejuvenating
    > growth in fact to put it in simple terms they
    are
    > destroying the ecosystem big time in the name of sport.

    The North Shore ecosystem is not constant.... massive erosion, massive ground movement will always
    happen.... Build in a rainforest and deal with the consequences.... run-off will change, and has
    been changing that lanscape, for centuries..

    > I have already racked up large veterinary bills for glass cuts in my dogs pads, ( from discarded
    can tabs
    > and broken bottles)

    hmmm backcountry and bottles dont mix... educate.. believe me... these things that puncture skin,
    also puncture tire tubes.... believe it or not.. there has been cases of people braking bottles on
    trails in order to puncture the tires, making biking a chore...i dont think its the mtb-rs's braking
    the bottles

    which was once ( 3 years ago) a pristine forest. Constant
    > advertising in the North Shore News portraying this area as the Mecca for mountain biking has
    > pretty well destroyed our peaceful life in this area. My wife and I have been faithfully breaking
    > down the jumping ramps on the pedestrian trails, we have had to jump aside for foul mouthed bikers
    racing down
    > the pedestrian trails, taking our dogs out of their way and now we walk
    with a
    > baseball bat as we will take the law in our own hands to protect our dogs
    and
    > ourselves.

    You have to pull your dogs out of the way?... dumb dogs, or dumb humans? Dogs on trails should be
    under CONTROL or leased at ALL times.. meaning your dogs will listen to all commands at first
    call....if not, they should be leashed...but once again... you can bet the dogs would rather be with
    the bikers running down the trails, than walkin with their stiffs for owners...

    We fondly remember the wildlife we had around this area but they are
    > all but gone now, chased away by this "sport"

    We all contribute to the displacement of wildlife, unfortunatly. Like you building a house in the
    forest has no effect? or how about you walking your dogs in the forest.. im sure the deer just love
    that too...

    > Interesting to attend an open house in a Lynn Valley School where the
    District
    > proudly showed plans of making parking spaces so that more bikers can ruin
    our
    > forest ( last year) .

    dont whine about the garbage or parking at the start then.... they are adressing that problem

    > Don't misunderstand me, I am not an environmental freak, we are middle aged people living
    > peacefully paying a hefty property tax to
    get
    > away from the crime, hassle etc from down town, to enjoy nature, which is rapidly being destroyed
    > in the name of sport. Get these people off the
    North
    > Shore and let them wreck the ecosystem in their own communities why
    ours??????

    Your community?.. you own your house, and the ground soil surrounding it... thats all... mind your
    own business.. move... if you really wanted nature you would move north... away from the city.. not
    like.. 30 minutes away and pretending to be hip, like the rest of the people who can afford to live
    there now. Cities sprawl, figure it out.

  9. On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 12:35:46 -0600, Typical mountain biker <[email protected]> wrote:

    .You're obviously a Typical Mountain Biker.

    Cute.

    .Michael Paul wrote: .> Sheesh. you'd think somebody with that kind of time on their hands would at
    .> least use paragraphs! .> .> Michael .> .> .> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message .> news:[email protected]... .> .>>Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:12:11
    -0800 .<crap>

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  10. Mr Chris

    Mr Chris Guest

  11. Mr Chris

    Mr Chris Guest

    an interesting thing is this is happening in ontario also, mtbers are becoming much more vocal and
    organized. we are learning how to get involved in the political system and taking back our rights to
    ride from the politician/hikers. after all we got time and the majority of the local community on
    our side which they dont have (thus the big push everywhere to shut down riding areas).

    news:[email protected]...