MTB slicks thread...

robalert

Jun 8, 2005
I've used 3 types of slicks now and would like to know other people's experience.

I am considering some slicks for my cousin, but it is hard to decide...

Anyone used Maxxis Xenith 26x1.5? or Continental ContactSport 26x1.3?

Specialized Fatboys 26x1.25:
  • pros: rolls very fast, grippy, lasts well, well priced, 100psi
  • cons: a bit sketchy in the wet and on dirt (no tread at all), effected by cracks, need special tubes
  • I was blown away by the speed of these tyres, but they apparently have stopped making them
Geax RoadRunners 26x1.5:
  • pros: good grip, great wear, stable, well priced, robust
  • cons: too wide, slow for slicks,
  • I was dissapointed with the speed of these tyres... couldn't pump too high
IRC Metro:
  • pros: cheap, been around for donkey years
  • cons: cracks in the casing after 4 years, slow due to the sponginess of the rubber, slippery
  • ****!

I had Conti Sport Contact 26x1.3 on my Merida Kalahari, it went like a rocket! The handling with riser bars and suspension forks was a tiny bit sloppy, however, with flat bars and rigid shorter crmo forks it was brilliant! More rider weight over the front end.

Consider Conti GPs in 26x1 as well... :cool:

My new bike has 650c wheels instead of 26", so a better choice in tyres, Conti GP4000s have been ordered for it.

robalert said:
I've used 3 types of slicks now and would like to know other people's experience.

I am considering some slicks for my cousin, but it is hard to decide...

Anyone used Maxxis Xenith 26x1.5? or Continental ContactSport 26x1.3?

Specialized Fatboys 26x1.25:
  • pros: rolls very fast, grippy, lasts well, well priced, 100psi
  • cons: a bit sketchy in the wet and on dirt (no tread at all), effected by cracks, need special tubes
  • I was blown away by the speed of these tyres, but they apparently have stopped making them
Geax RoadRunners 26x1.5:
  • pros: good grip, great wear, stable, well priced, robust
  • cons: too wide, slow for slicks,
  • I was dissapointed with the speed of these tyres... couldn't pump too high
IRC Metro:
  • pros: cheap, been around for donkey years
  • cons: cracks in the casing after 4 years, slow due to the sponginess of the rubber, slippery
  • ****!
I've used IRC Metros for years. Are you aware that cheaper and more expensive variants exist? They look identical, apart from the recommended pressure ranges. The better sort go to 100psi, the cheaper sort only go to 50 or 60psi, I can't remember which. I can confirm that the high pressure sort are not slippery and do not crack after 4 years, more like 6 or 7. They last for ever and rarely puncture.
Having said that, they are quite heavy and the rolling resistance is much greater than my road bike tyres. I've been intending to go to a lower profile tyre when they wear out, but they're taking a long time to do it.

Go the Geax Roadrunners in the 1.25 size. Almost as fast as the fatboys, has some sort of tread on the side, handles alright it the wet, and can be pumped up to 100psi! Though I've only gone up to 80.

i never saw the 1.25 roadrunners

anyway, i just picked up some continental contact sports 26x1.3... will update you on the performance of these tyres... they look awesome and well made

Well done Rob! Try them at recomended pressure first, then +10%.

By the way, Sport Contacts now come in 622x28c for your CRX, if your game... :)

gclark8 said:
Well done Rob! Try them at recomended pressure first, then +10%.

By the way, Sport Contacts now come in 622x28c for your CRX, if your game... :)
For a 1.3" tyre loaded with 50kg, Sheldon Brown recommends an inflation pressure of 75psi. Unless the recommended maximum is 68psi or less, or you are very heavy, inflating to 110% maximum will deliver slower performance, an uncomfortable ride and more strain on your wheelset and bike.

artemidorus said:
For a 1.3" tyre loaded with 50kg, Sheldon Brown recommends an inflation pressure of 75psi. Unless the recommended maximum is 68psi or less, or you are very heavy, inflating to 110% maximum will deliver slower performance, an uncomfortable ride and more strain on your wheelset and bike.
Rubbish!! I raced on these tyres at 100psi, they go like a rocket!!! Also my best commute time ever. Ask any Bike Courier. :D 100psi, these rock!!!

gclark8 said:
Rubbish!! I raced on these tyres at 100psi, they go like a rocket!!! Also my best commute time ever. Ask any Bike Courier. :D 100psi, these rock!!!
I agree with regard to perception. I have always pumped my MTB tyres to 100psi and believed they were superfast.
Nevertheless, the consensus, if there ever is one, on these forums seems to be that 100psi is about the right pressure for an average rider on a 25mm tyre for optimal rolling resistance on ordinary roads, and that larger tyres should be run at lower pressures.
I'm now running my 1.5" slicks at 70-80psi (I weigh 90kg) and my times have not changed. I'm more comfortable.

robalert said:
i never saw the 1.25 roadrunners

anyway, i just picked up some continental contact sports 26x1.3... will update you on the performance of these tyres... they look awesome and well made
Where did you pick them up? How much? I'm interested.

I have been using Specialized Fatboys for the last few months and am really happy with them. If they have been discontinued, you may still be able to find some stock around (I got mine mid-year). Another advantage of these slicks over other ones is the weight - they are listed at 325g for the 1.25", compared with over 500g for some others (eg IRC Metro). I have not used them in the wet, so I can't comment on handling on wet roads.

Regarding the effects of tread - have a look at this article by Jobst Brandt (author of "The Bicycle Wheel"):
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/slicks.html

Some quotes from this article:

"machines that measure traction show that smooth tires corner better on both wet and dry pavement"

"Tread patterns have no effect on surfaces in which they leave no impression. That is to say, if the road is harder than the tire, a tread pattern does not improve traction. That smooth tires have better dry traction is probably accepted by most bicyclists, but wet pavement still appears to raise doubts even though motorcycles have shown that tread patterns do not improve wet traction."

"Besides having better wet and dry traction, smooth tread also has lower rolling resistance"

artemidorus said:
I've used IRC Metros for years. Are you aware that cheaper and more expensive variants exist? They look identical, apart from the recommended pressure ranges. The better sort go to 100psi, the cheaper sort only go to 50 or 60psi, I can't remember which. I can confirm that the high pressure sort are not slippery and do not crack after 4 years, more like 6 or 7. They last for ever and rarely puncture.
Having said that, they are quite heavy and the rolling resistance is much greater than my road bike tyres. I've been intending to go to a lower profile tyre when they wear out, but they're taking a long time to do it.
The 2 versions of IRC Metro are regular and "Duro" which have kevlar somewhere and are more expensive. I had the Duro's for years and really liked them, though they were a ***** to get onto the rim (maybe the kevlar reduced how much they could stretch).

If you're in the market for cheap, fast slicks, try the Ritchey Tom Slicks.

They come in 1.0 and 1.4 sizes (I personally run the 1.4s - there wasn't a huge difference in speed from the 1.0, and the ride is noticably more comfortable).

Dirtworks have them on sale at the moment for $15 each (yep, fifteen AU bucks), since they're having a factory moving sale - get your LBS to order them in. Normally about $45 each... at 1/3 the price, they can't be beat.

See www.dirtworks.com.au

Cheers,

J

scotty72 said:
Where did you pick them up? How much? I'm interested.
they were hard to track down

maybe go for the ritchey tom slicks.... that is a great price

the contact sports set me back $40 a pop!

nerdag said:
If you're in the market for cheap, fast slicks, try the Ritchey Tom Slicks.

They come in 1.0 and 1.4 sizes (I personally run the 1.4s - there wasn't a huge difference in speed from the 1.0, and the ride is noticably more comfortable).

Dirtworks have them on sale at the moment for $15 each (yep, fifteen AU bucks), since they're having a factory moving sale - get your LBS to order them in. Normally about $45 each... at 1/3 the price, they can't be beat.

See www.dirtworks.com.au

Cheers,

J
What's the max recommended pressure for them?

scotty72 said:
What's the max recommended pressure for them?
26x1.0 max = 100 psi
26x1.4. max = 85 psi

I run my 1.4s at 85psi front, 95psi rear. Never had a problem, but then I am relatively light (60kg + 12kg bike).

my fatboys 26x1.25 are rated at 100psi

whereas the contact sports are only rated at 85psi... they are 26x1.3 (actually look narrower than the fatboys)

I've got the Geax street runners (26x1.25) on my bike. Running them at 100psi, they feel very nice....

My partner commutes to work a couple of days a week on these tyres . Cheap as, at 12 bucks each a very affordable first taste of slick tyres- She runs them at about 60psi.

Maxxis Hookworms.

Some serious Sh*t. Mega grippy, but wide and heavy. But mega grippy!! :D

Ive used them to commute on the Norco from Penrith to Richmond ret. a few times, been in skate parks, and done heaps of off road on them.
At about $50 hard earned each, there a little on the dear side, but Ive had mine for a year and a half, and they are in VGC still

LeojVS said:
Maxxis Hookworms.

Some serious Sh*t. Mega grippy, but wide and heavy. But mega grippy!! :D

Ive used them to commute on the Norco from Penrith to Richmond ret. a few times, been in skate parks, and done heaps of off road on them.
At about $50 hard earned each, there a little on the dear side, but Ive had mine for a year and a half, and they are in VGC still
i got one hookworm... indeed, bombproof and grippy but pretty heavy for road riding.... more a jump/trials thang

I just chucked on my continental contact sports 26x1.3.... they seem more grippier/secure than the fatboys and ride alot smoother