MTB slicks thread...

j.r.hawkins said:
I'm not sure what the hot bath would do - seems to me it's the steel bead that's the issue rather than the rubber.
Steel expands with heat, a little stretch could help a lot.

artemidorus said:
Steel expands with heat, a little stretch could help a lot.
Why waste water unecessarily - just leave them lying in the sun for 30mins or so.

I run Ritchey Tom slicks on my frankenbike commuter, and it has the same tight bead problem that you guys have. Solar energy, however, makes it much less difficult (about the same as trying to get a Conti Road tyre onto a tight rim).

For those who care, they are Ritchey 1.4's, on Sun Black Eyes.

n

Hi, I've finally wore out my Conti Contact Sports, after a while too many little cuts and the tread wore down which meant increased punctures... very good tyres though. I didn't find them too hard to get on and off... but my rims are pretty good like that.

Also, like a few other continentals... like gatorskins, the side wall seems to weaken over time... and eventually you get the tube trying to break out.

Anyway, trying some new Maxxis Columbieres.... so far OK used them for commuting to and from work for a month now. They are cheap, pretty fast but I'll let you know how they wear and what the puncture resistance is like. They were only $22 each.