MTB slicks thread...

Little Jackie said:
I wasn't intimating that serious riders should consider the cheap $15 tyres. I just stated the fact that 2 of my firends who obviously are not serious riders are very happy with them. They are a good option for the casual rider!
They're not bad tyres for cheap ones. I rode on a couple last year on one of my bikes and it seemed to roll reasonably well for the short commute I used to have. They only cost me about $20 from a bike shop in North Sydney. I certainly found them to be better than the $40 Maxxis Overdrive (26x1.75s) I also rode on another bike. They only pump up to 50psi max and I found them to be sluggish.
Riding GEAX Roadrunners atm; these are 1.25 and have them pumped to 80psi. Seem to be holding up quite well. I'll have to try the Contis next when these wear out. Seems a lot of people have good words to say about them.

1id10t said:
Jur's right. Torpedo7 seem to have representation here.I've bought a few things from them and postage is only about $9 flat rate (except for larger stuff; wheels, bikes etc). That's not too bad I guess considering Dean Woods in Melb is about $7 and Wooleys Wheels in Sydney is $10. Not a bad place to keep an eye on as they can have some very good sales prices on stuff.
I got a pair of WTB Slickasaurus tyres from torpedo7 (my first order with them).
http://www.torpedo7.com/page/australia/PROD/tires_mtb-mountain_bike/WTB-TYR-SLI-15

They were on special at $13 each. Also got a couple of cheap LED flashers, but even if I hadn't, with the $9 postage that works out to less than $20 a tyre. I've used these tyres before and they are good quality and last really well, even though they're not the fastest slicks I've used. Probably paid about $35 each or so several years ago for them, so even at their current price of $17, I reckon they're a good buy. Someone is trying to sell them on Ebay for around $60 a pair.

gclark8 said:
OK, we seem to have the tyres well covered in this topic.

I have been asked to do minor component/performance upgrades on entry level bikes from time to time. Should we start a topic on this one or just add the details in here as they happen?

I think it should be new thread, otherwise it will get lost - how many people thinking about doing upgrades to their bikes will think to look in a thread about MTB slicks, especially if they are infrequent browsers of the forums?

Update on slicks...

My contis contactsports are still going strong and outlasting my drivetrain!

Had a puncture the other day, but i rode through shards of glass... so that was expected

My friend isn't having so much luck on her Maxxis 26x1.5 Xeniths. They seem to puncture alot easier than my slicks...

I probably would try something else than the Xeniths for commuting. They are fast, light but puncture protection is pretty poor.

robalert said:
Update on slicks...

My contis contactsports are still going strong and outlasting my drivetrain!

Had a puncture the other day, but i rode through shards of glass... so that was expected

Done 2000 kilometers on my contactsports so far, carting two laden panniers two or three times per week. If I get 5000 kilometers out of them I will be happy. Better swap the tyres around soon so they wear evenly.

Only had one puncture in the front and that's because a drawing pin went through tyre, one of the hazards of working in the education system.

Dancier said:
Done 2000 kilometers on my contactsports so far, carting two laden panniers two or three times per week. If I get 5000 kilometers out of them I will be happy. Better swap the tyres around soon so they wear evenly.

Only had one puncture in the front and that's because a drawing pin went through tyre, one of the hazards of working in the education system.
Well, about about 5,000 kms of fairly rugged wear, my rear Conti Contact Sport 26x1.3 finally gave up (side wall bulge - the tread was still ok).

I put it down to a fairly gruesome work-load I put it through. I'm a big boy who chews through brake pads very quickly so, that's gotta correlate to the tyre wear too.

It has to lug me around and also this pretty well daily.

NEVER try to put a Contact Sport 1.3 tyre on an Araya RM-17 rim, if you still have one. I'm aching all over!

artemidorus said:
NEVER try to put a Contact Sport 1.3 tyre on an Araya RM-17 rim, if you still have one. I'm aching all over!
In this extreme case,
remove the rim tape,
then place the tube inside the tyre,
then fit tyre,
then fit the rim tape. :D

scotty72 said:
Well, about about 5,000 kms of fairly rugged wear, my rear Conti Contact Sport 26x1.3 finally gave up (side wall bulge - the tread was still ok).

I put it down to a fairly gruesome work-load I put it through. I'm a big boy who chews through brake pads very quickly so, that's gotta correlate to the tyre wear too.

It has to lug me around and also this pretty well daily.
Crikey, a double articulation! What does that feel like to ride?

gclark8 said:
In this extreme case,
remove the rim tape,
then place the tube inside the tyre,
then fit tyre,
then fit the rim tape. :D
I got it on eventually with the help of my other half and a tyre lever, but I've never had such a struggle with fitting a tyre in my life. Heaven forbid that I should get a puncture on that wheel. Aches are just starting to settle. Who needs a gym when you could be fitting tyres!
And my rim tape is rather plush.

artemidorus said:
Crikey, a double articulation! What does that feel like to ride?
Surprisingly easy once you get used to it.

Just leave lots of room for braking. :)

Scotty

robalert said:
I've used 3 types of slicks now and would like to know other people's experience.

I am considering some slicks for my cousin, but it is hard to decide...

Anyone used Maxxis Xenith 26x1.5? or Continental ContactSport 26x1.3?

Specialized Fatboys 26x1.25:
  • pros: rolls very fast, grippy, lasts well, well priced, 100psi
  • cons: a bit sketchy in the wet and on dirt (no tread at all), effected by cracks, need special tubes
  • I was blown away by the speed of these tyres, but they apparently have stopped making them
Geax RoadRunners 26x1.5:
  • pros: good grip, great wear, stable, well priced, robust
  • cons: too wide, slow for slicks,
  • I was dissapointed with the speed of these tyres... couldn't pump too high
IRC Metro:
  • pros: cheap, been around for donkey years
  • cons: cracks in the casing after 4 years, slow due to the sponginess of the rubber, slippery
  • ****!
I use Conti City Contact on my mountain bike when riding long distances on *****, and I think these are the best. My view. terry [email protected];)

How much should a decent 1.75 slick weigh? I'm quite keen on purchasing a pair of Innovas from T7 but am balking at the fact that the 1.75 at 795gm weights almost four times as much as my 700x23 gator skins.

xxamr_corpxx said:
How much should a decent 1.75 slick weigh? I'm quite keen on purchasing a pair of Innovas from T7 but am balking at the fact that the 1.75 at 795gm weights almost four times as much as my 700x23 gator skins.
Not too sure about 1.75's but:
My Specialized Fatboy 1.25's are under 400g
Conti Sport Contact 1.6's are listed at 550g

Why do you want 1.75's? If you want a fast tyre for road riding, the 1.25 is wide enough, lighter and runs at a higher pressure.

roshea said:
Not too sure about 1.75's but:
My Specialized Fatboy 1.25's are under 400g
Conti Sport Contact 1.6's are listed at 550g

Why do you want 1.75's? If you want a fast tyre for road riding, the 1.25 is wide enough, lighter and runs at a higher pressure.
Purely because of the rims. I'm running 26 x 2.1 MTB tyres on my beater at the moment and I don't think it will fit 1.25s.

xxamr_corpxx said:
Purely because of the rims. I'm running 26 x 2.1 MTB tyres on my beater at the moment and I don't think it will fit 1.25s.
Why not measure the width of the rims? Inside or outside, then we can tell you what fits. ;)

xxamr_corpxx said:
If it is a standard 26" MTB it should take anything from 26*1 to 26*2.5