MTB slicks thread...

xxamr_corpxx said:
Has anyone had any experience with Panaracer PASELA CLUB 26 x 1.25?
Just bought some 27 inch Panracers from the states, they seem ok so far but still a few more km to do before I really know.

Where did you buy the 26 * 1.25 from and how much.

Second hand private sale. I've never heard of them before, so I wasn't sure of the quality. I will be getting my Giant Elwood SE shortly and will stick them on that.

Just responding to the enthusiastic endorsements above of the WTB Slickasaurus 26 x 1.5:

I too had thought them to be excellent for commuting: low rolling resistance, confidence-inspiring traction, ability to handle higher-than-normal pressures.

However, after my experience of the week after New Year's Eve, I have to rate them "PPPP" - **** Poor Puncture Performance. :mad:

In five trips I had no less than 6 punctures, some of them from very small bits of glass. Putting Slime :( in the tubes helped somewhat, as did a change of route, but other guys travelling the same route had no problems.

I'll definitely go the Conti Sport Contact 26 x 1.3 next time - saving $50 with cheap tyres has been very false economy as the flats have set me back several hundred dollars in billable time.

j.r.hawkins said:
Just responding to the enthusiastic endorsements above of the WTB Slickasaurus 26 x 1.5:

I too had thought them to be excellent for commuting: low rolling resistance, confidence-inspiring traction, ability to handle higher-than-normal pressures.

However, after my experience of the week after New Year's Eve, I have to rate them "PPPP" - **** Poor Puncture Performance. :mad:
I know this thread's about MTB tyres but just to add to jr's comment, the WTB tyres i've been commuting with on my road bike suck puncture prevention wise. The smallest bit of glass easily goes through these tyres. No kevlar belt and seemingly very soft rubber. Going back to my Vittorias.

Thanks, but I don't think I thought my question through. Let me try again:

What's the highest pressure anyone uses with double wall rims and standard cloth tape such as Zefal, or standard rubber rim strips? Or...when do you need to step up to plugs or special rim strips?

garage sale GT said:
Thanks, but I don't think I thought my question through. Let me try again:

What's the highest pressure anyone uses with double wall rims and standard cloth tape such as Zefal, or standard rubber rim strips? Or...when do you need to step up to plugs or special rim strips?
I have used up to 120psi with rubber tape with no problems - in fact, I have an idea that the front wheel on my road bike has one now. I wouldn't choose to do so if I had originally fitted the tape, but there has been no incentive for change.

Following up on my previous post:

I've since put more than 3,000 km on the Conti Sport Contact 1.3's I bought shortly after my last post. Here's my smiley-rated review <LOL>.

Verdict:
Rolling resistance: briliant :D
Dry Traction: excellent :D
Wet Traction: very good :)
Wear: excellent :D
Puncture resistance: what's a puncture? ;)
Ease of fitting: Awful! :confused:

Haha! I suppose it's just as well I've not had any punctures... I had to buy some steel-cored tyre levers just to get the suckers on and off the rim, b'cos I busted all my plastic ones, the things are so tight to put on. And to get the bead to seat properly I gotta pump them up to about 110psi or I get a monster flat-spot in the ride. Once seated, though, they do go brilliantly. :)

To be fair these ****les might be because of the Alex TD17 hoops I put 'em on being slighlty oversize compared to others. Seem to recall a comment to that effect somewhere.

There are a just few VERY small nicks in the back tyre where I've run over the occasional bits of broken glass at the start of the Burnt Bridge Creek cycleway, but I've only once found a (tiny) sliver still in the tread.

This is vastly better than the WTB slickasauruses. Speaking of which, does anybody want my old set - you can have 'em just for the cost of the postage. Slimed innertubes are included. PM me if you're interested.

j.r.hawkins said:
Ease of fitting: Awful! :confused:
Agreed; I got the front one onto a Mavic X517 rim with only a high normal level of difficulty, but it took nearly an hour and my girlfriend's help to get the rear one onto an Araya RM-17. I've never in my life had so much difficulty mounting a tyre, otherwise. I'm dreading my first rear wheel puncture, although I agree with the question, "What's a puncture?", with regard to these tyres.
Next time I'll follow a friend's recommendation of a hot bath for the tyre beforehand, and soap on the rim edge.

artemidorus said:
but it took nearly an hour and my girlfriend's help to get the rear one onto an Araya RM-17. I've never in my life had so much difficulty mounting a tyre, otherwise...
That's encouraging - I'm not a compleat idiot then <chuckle>. Mine took about the same time after accounting for taking it off and on a couple of times to fix the pinch flats from the bead pinching the tube against the rim edge. <duh!>

I'm not sure what the hot bath would do - seems to me it's the steel bead that's the issue rather than the rubber. The soap would definitely be helpful, so long as you can get the show completed before it dries.

BTW, on the slickasauruses, postage would be about $15 within Australia.