my latest news, and request best place to ride

Merlin

Guest
hey, guess who. it's me, technician/travis/richard.

i still don't have internet back (using a library computer, hence the google account).

I just thought i would post about my latest news. I got a job :)

I got accepted by the US Army (apparenly, after a few years, my medical file got tossed ;-)

my job title is "OH-58D armament/electrical/avionics systems reparer", and as such, i will also be a
copilot. i leave march 3rd.

so, my question to you folks is, based on the info @ http://www.army.mil/installations/Map.htm ,
where would be the best station for biking (i have to list 3 choices before leaving for basic)?
note, as far as i know, it has to be an army base (nothing in parentheses). and no, fort levenworth
isn't really an option (not really a fort you select to go to, if you know what i mean).

i have no strict preferance, so i am pretty much open.

~Travis

Merlin wrote:
> hey, guess who. it's me, technician/travis/richard.
>
> i still don't have internet back (using a library computer, hence the google account).
>
> I just thought i would post about my latest news. I got a job :)
>
> I got accepted by the US Army (apparenly, after a few years, my medical file got tossed ;-)
>
> my job title is "OH-58D armament/electrical/avionics systems reparer", and as such, i will also be
> a copilot. i leave march 3rd.
>
> so, my question to you folks is, based on the info @ http://www.army.mil/installations/Map.htm
> , where would be the best station for biking (i have to list 3 choices before leaving for
> basic)? note, as far as i know, it has to be an army base (nothing in parentheses). and no,
> fort levenworth isn't really an option (not really a fort you select to go to, if you know what
> i mean).
>
> i have no strict preferance, so i am pretty much open.
>
> ~Travis

Welcome back, Travis (if only briefly for now).

Glad to hear that things seem o be on the right track for you. Good luck in the military. As far as
places to be stationed that have good riding, opt for any Rocky Mountain State Fort that you can.
Try to stay clear of any Persian Gulf posting. Those are very bad for mountain biking right now.

Miles

"Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hey, guess who. it's me, technician/travis/richard.
>
> i still don't have internet back (using a library computer, hence the google account).
>
> I just thought i would post about my latest news. I got a job :)
>
> I got accepted by the US Army (apparenly, after a few years, my medical file got tossed ;-)
>
> my job title is "OH-58D armament/electrical/avionics systems reparer", and as such, i will also be
> a copilot. i leave march 3rd.
>
> so, my question to you folks is, based on the info @ http://www.army.mil/installations/Map.htm
> , where would be the best station for biking (i have to list 3 choices before leaving for
> basic)? note, as far as i know, it has to be an army base (nothing in parentheses). and no,
> fort levenworth isn't really an option (not really a fort you select to go to, if you know what
> i mean).

Ft Irwin in Calif.

Greg

On 24 Feb 2004 07:54:05 -0800, Merlin wrote:

> I got accepted by the US Army (apparenly, after a few years, my medical file got tossed ;-)
>
> my job title is "OH-58D armament/electrical/avionics systems reparer", and as such, i will also be
> a copilot. i leave march 3rd.

Congrats!

> so, my question to you folks is, based on the info @ http://www.army.mil/installations/Map.htm ,
> where would be the best station for biking (i have to list 3 choices before leaving for basic)?

You need to find the posts where your specialty is located, otherwise you'll be wasting your
preferences. If all of your choices are locations where your specialty doesn't exist, it'll be
TOTALLY up to them where they send you (so you might find yourself in Greenland or something).

There should be some nice trails not too far from Fort Lewis in Washington - its just south of
Seattle. The six months of overcast weather every year is a little hard to take, though.

Fort Sam Houston is in San Antonio, TX (my kid was born there). You might want to check into San An
MTBing; lots of potential there. Austin is known for some pretty good riding (about 1.5 hours away).
It gets damn hot there, though.

Avoid anything in Kansas! Kansas is one of those places that people generally want to leave,
not visit.

There's some challenging riding in Pupukea, just north of Schofield Barracks in Hawaii!

Why only US?

> note, as far as i know, it has to be an army base (nothing in parentheses). and no, fort
> levenworth isn't really an option (not really a fort you select to go to, if you know what
> i mean).

Leavenworth isn't just a prison. We used to live just across the state border (and did lots of
drinking in Leavenworth town, due to a younger drinking age!). I'm not sure what training is there,
but we certainly heard a lot of "blowing up stuff". Especially when it rained - the Army likes to
train their people in the fine art of being miserable.

Merlin wrote:
> hey, guess who. it's me, technician/travis/richard.

<snip>

Congratulations on the job. I hope it works out for you.

Matt

miles todd wrote:

> Merlin wrote:
>
>> hey, guess who. it's me, technician/travis/richard.
>>
>> i still don't have internet back (using a library computer, hence the google account).
>>
>> I just thought i would post about my latest news. I got a job :)
>>
>> I got accepted by the US Army (apparenly, after a few years, my medical file got tossed ;-)
>>
>> my job title is "OH-58D armament/electrical/avionics systems reparer", and as such, i will also
>> be a copilot. i leave march 3rd.
>>
>> so, my question to you folks is, based on the info @ http://www.army.mil/installations/Map.htm
>> , where would be the best station for biking (i have to list 3 choices before leaving for
>> basic)? note, as far as i know, it has to be an army base (nothing in parentheses). and no,
>> fort levenworth isn't really an option (not really a fort you select to go to, if you know what
>> i mean).
>>
>> i have no strict preferance, so i am pretty much open.
>>
>> ~Travis
>

> Welcome back, Travis (if only briefly for now).
>
> Glad to hear that things seem o be on the right track for you. Good luck in the military. As
> far as places to be stationed that have good riding, opt for any Rocky Mountain State Fort that
> you can. Try to stay clear of any Persian Gulf posting. Those are very bad for mountain biking
> right now.
>

> Miles

Ft. Carson near Colorado Springs on the Colorado Front Range. Lots of high tech and aviation
business in the Springs too, so you won't have to move after discharge. Beautiful city (I grew up
there), definitely trends to the right politically. That would be my gross understatement of the
day. Even scares some republicans. Good luck soldier.

Shawn

Shawn

Travis says:

>hey, guess who. it's me,

The proverbial bad penny? Nothing personal, Trav, but the "good Penny" job is already taken. ;-)
Nice to see your smiling face back here (you are smiling, right?). Congrats on the job. Try to stay
out of the hot spots.

Steve

"Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hey, guess who. it's me, technician/travis/richard.
>
> i still don't have internet back (using a library computer, hence the google account).
>
> I just thought i would post about my latest news. I got a job :)
>
> I got accepted by the US Army (apparenly, after a few years, my medical file got tossed ;-)
>
> my job title is "OH-58D armament/electrical/avionics systems reparer", and as such, i will also be
> a copilot. i leave march 3rd.

What is the specific MOS? 15J (OH-58D Armament/Electrical/Avionics repair) is ground crew.
http://www.goarmy.com/jobs/mos/mos15J.asp

I thought you wore glasses? The second seat on a Kiowa is generally 'Observer/Gunner'. How does that
mesh with NVG's?

Anyway...

> so, my question to you folks is, based on the info @ http://www.army.mil/installations/Map.htm
> , where would be the best station for biking (i have to list 3 choices before leaving for
> basic)? note, as far as i know, it has to be an army base (nothing in parentheses). and no,
> fort levenworth isn't really an option (not really a fort you select to go to, if you know what
> i mean).
>
> i have no strict preferance, so i am pretty much open.

Riding can be found anywhere. You need to concentrate on where the job is. Where are Kiowas based?
Only choose bases among those. Anywhere else is a wasted choice.

Oh....read this. There will be a test. Many of them. http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/docs/tc-1-248-
cover.htm

Pete

"Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I got accepted by the US Army (apparenly, after a few years, my medical file got tossed
> ;-) ~Travis

Why does "Full Metal Jacket" come to mind. Well anyway, good luck "Pyle"...you will surely need it.

PS

Bob Rogers wrote:
> "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>I got accepted by the US Army (apparenly, after a few years, my medical file got tossed
>>;-) ~Travis
>

> Why does "Full Metal Jacket" come to mind. Well anyway, good luck "Pyle"...you will surely
> need it.
>
> PS

It's rare that anybody agrees with Mr Rogers but in this case I'm sure there are several of us who
agree with that sentiment.

Greg

> It's rare that anybody agrees with Mr Rogers but in this case I'm sure there are several of us who
> agree with that sentiment.
>
> Greg

Hey,

I sincerely wish Travis all the best of luck in the world. It's not fair that anyone has to live
with what is really a disability. That being said, you've got to wonder about ones fitness to serve
the Uncle when he wasn't fit to serve the Colonel.

[email protected] (Merlin) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> hey, guess who. it's me, technician/travis/richard.
>
> i still don't have internet back (using a library computer, hence the google account).
>
> I just thought i would post about my latest news. I got a job :)
>
> I got accepted by the US Army (apparenly, after a few years, my medical file got tossed ;-)
>
> my job title is "OH-58D armament/electrical/avionics systems reparer", and as such, i will also be
> a copilot. i leave march 3rd.
>
> so, my question to you folks is, based on the info @ http://www.army.mil/installations/Map.htm
> , where would be the best station for biking (i have to list 3 choices before leaving for
> basic)? note, as far as i know, it has to be an army base (nothing in parentheses). and no,
> fort levenworth isn't really an option (not really a fort you select to go to, if you know what
> i mean).
>
> i have no strict preferance, so i am pretty much open.
>
> ~Travis

I'd look seriously at AZ, CO, and UT, but expect the trails to be tougher than you might be used to.

paladin

"Bob Rogers" <[email protected]> wrote

> Hey,
>
> I sincerely wish Travis all the best of luck in the world. It's not fair that anyone has to live
> with what is really a disability. That being
said,
> you've got to wonder about ones fitness to serve the Uncle when he wasn't fit to serve the
> Colonel.

I shall reserve comment on this aspect until and if we fail to see pics posted from Basic, or no
later than AIT.

Trav?

Pete

"Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<Snip>

> my job title is "OH-58D armament/electrical/avionics systems reparer", and as such, i will also be
> a copilot. i leave march 3rd.

<snip>

Shaun aRe - 'Grats on the job though Trav. Musta taken some good lyin' heheheh ! ',;~}~

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > hey, guess who. it's me, technician/travis/richard.
> >
> > i still don't have internet back (using a library computer, hence the google account).
> >
> > I just thought i would post about my latest news. I got a job :)
> >
> > I got accepted by the US Army (apparenly, after a few years, my medical file got tossed ;-)
> >
> > my job title is "OH-58D armament/electrical/avionics systems reparer", and as such, i will also
> > be a copilot. i leave march 3rd.
>
> What is the specific MOS? 15J (OH-58D Armament/Electrical/Avionics
repair)
> is ground crew. http://www.goarmy.com/jobs/mos/mos15J.asp

it is 15J, and i was told by my recruiter that i will be the crew chief, and the crew chief is
the copilot.

> I thought you wore glasses? The second seat on a Kiowa is generally 'Observer/Gunner'. How does
> that mesh with NVG's?

i do. no idea how they will work with NVG's, maybe they have rubber cups like binoculars.

> Anyway...
>

> > so, my question to you folks is, based on the info @ http://www.army.mil/installations/Map.htm ,
> > where would be the best station for biking (i have to list 3 choices before leaving for basic)?
> > note, as far as i know, it has to be an army base (nothing in parentheses). and no, fort
> > levenworth isn't really an option (not really a fort you select to go to, if you know what i
> > mean).
> >
> > i have no strict preferance, so i am pretty much open.
>
> Riding can be found anywhere. You need to concentrate on where the job is. Where are Kiowas based?
> Only choose bases among those. Anywhere else is a wasted choice.

as far as i have been told, they have a kiowa at every base. i'll know more when i go down to MEPS
again to choose my locations. i just wanted a general idea of where i could find good riding to aid
in my selection of station.

> Oh....read this. There will be a test. Many of them. http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/docs/tc-1-248-
> cover.htm

good thing I was at my grandmothers, the library may not take kindly to downloads ;-) and thanks for
the doc link.

~Travis

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Merlin) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > hey, guess who. it's me, technician/travis/richard.
> >
> > i still don't have internet back (using a library computer, hence the google account).
> >
> > I just thought i would post about my latest news. I got a job :)
> >
> > I got accepted by the US Army (apparenly, after a few years, my medical file got tossed ;-)
> >
> > my job title is "OH-58D armament/electrical/avionics systems reparer", and as such, i will also
> > be a copilot. i leave march 3rd.
> >
> > so, my question to you folks is, based on the info @ http://www.army.mil/installations/Map.htm ,
> > where would be the best station for biking (i have to list 3 choices before leaving for basic)?
> > note, as far as i know, it has to be an army base (nothing in parentheses). and no, fort
> > levenworth isn't really an option (not really a fort you select to go to, if you know what i
> > mean).
> >
> > i have no strict preferance, so i am pretty much open.
> >
> > ~Travis
>

> I'd look seriously at AZ, CO, and UT, but expect the trails to be tougher than you might be
> used to.
>
> paladin

tougher than 12 miles if fire-roads, mud, fields, and the occasional hill? ;-)

so far it is 2 votes for CO (*cough *cough *wheeeeeze ;-)

~Travis

> "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> <Snip>
>
> > my job title is "OH-58D armament/electrical/avionics systems reparer", and as such, i will also
> > be a copilot. i leave march 3rd.
>
> <snip>

perhaps...

> Shaun aRe - 'Grats on the job though Trav. Musta taken some good lyin' heheheh ! ',;~}~

me, lie? you surely must be joking! ;-)

~Travis

> Travis says:
>
> >hey, guess who. it's me,
>
> The proverbial bad penny? Nothing personal, Trav, but the "good Penny"
job is
> already taken. ;-) Nice to see your smiling face back here (you are smiling, right?).
Congrats on
> the job. Try to stay out of the hot spots.

IME, the deffinition of "hot" is different in the south than in New England. dry heat is supposed to
be more bearible. last time i was vacationing in Florida, it was almost 100, but felt no more than
80 or 90. if in fact people do live in the south, the heat must be survivable.

~Travis

"Bob Rogers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >>
> > It's rare that anybody agrees with Mr Rogers but in this case I'm sure there are several of us
> > who agree with that sentiment.
> >
> > Greg
> >

> Hey,
>
> I sincerely wish Travis all the best of luck in the world. It's not fair that anyone has to live
> with what is really a disability. That being
said,
> you've got to wonder about ones fitness to serve the Uncle when he wasn't fit to serve the
> Colonel.

correction, I left KFC for a different job, I wasn't fired. if you have enough neurons to make a
complement, I would think you could at least get a flame right ;-)

~Travis

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Bob Rogers" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > Hey,
> >
> > I sincerely wish Travis all the best of luck in the world. It's not
fair
> > that anyone has to live with what is really a disability. That being
> said,
> > you've got to wonder about ones fitness to serve the Uncle when he
wasn't
> > fit to serve the Colonel.
>
> I shall reserve comment on this aspect until and if we fail to see pics posted from Basic, or no
> later than AIT.
>
> Trav?

can't bring a camera to basic. not sure about AIT. but, I will see about posting when I can (most
likely not until AIT) to let you all know I am still in the game.

so, basic is 9 weeks, and AIT is 27 weeks. assuming I can't post from AIT, you may not hear again
from me after I leave for basic (hmm, that's next Wednesday... keeps creeping up closer and
closer... he he). so, after that, it may not be until... late October, or so.

but, at least then, I'll be sure to post a pic of me in full uniform, with a rank insignia pic. that
assumes I will be better than a fricken I-1 by then ;-) (I don't even get a chevron yet).

~Travis