n00b question - fender installation - where does washer go?

John Q. Public

Guest
I bought the Planet Bike Freddy Fenders from an online vendor, and got
a bit confused by the Ikea-like incomplete directions.

When attaching the arms on the fender (sorry, not sure of the real
name) that attach to the fork/frame, do I need to attach the washer
between the fork/frame and the arms?

(fork > washer > arm > bolt)

or would the washer need to be nearest the bolt head?

(fork > arm > washer > bolt>

also, does anyone know what size the bolt's that attach to the
fork/frame are? I want to pop by a hardware store and get a few, but I
don't have an extra to bring to the store (unless I steal one from my
fenders)...

I'm assuming it's a standard size, since their bolt fit the threaded
hole in the forks....

thanks!

"John Q. Public" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I bought the Planet Bike Freddy Fenders from an online vendor, and got
> a bit confused by the Ikea-like incomplete directions.
>
> When attaching the arms on the fender (sorry, not sure of the real
> name) that attach to the fork/frame, do I need to attach the washer
> between the fork/frame and the arms?
>
> (fork > washer > arm > bolt)
>
> or would the washer need to be nearest the bolt head?
>
> (fork > arm > washer > bolt>
>

> also, does anyone know what size the bolt's that attach to the
> fork/frame are? I want to pop by a hardware store and get a few, but I
> don't have an extra to bring to the store (unless I steal one from my
> fenders)...
>
> I'm assuming it's a standard size, since their bolt fit the threaded
> hole in the forks....
>
> thanks!

The "arms" are fender stays, or mudguard stays if you're a Brit.

Use the washer under the bolt head, and put a small dab of grease on the
threads to allow better tightening and easier, or even possible,
removing.

The bolts are likely M5. Take an existing bolt in with you to the
hardware so you can match it. Make it a good hardware, and stainless
steel bolts are nice. The higher cost for a few won't break the bank.

--
Ted Bennett

Ted Bennett wrote:

> Use the washer under the bolt head, and put a small dab of grease on the
> threads to allow better tightening and easier, or even possible,
> removing.
>
> The bolts are likely M5. Take an existing bolt in with you to the
> hardware so you can match it. Make it a good hardware, and stainless
> steel bolts are nice. The higher cost for a few won't break the bank.

What he said!

I'll add a more general principle:

When in doubt, use a washer between the part (nut or bolt) you are
turning, and the adjacent part that is not supposed to turn.

Sheldon "Always Grease The Threads" Brown
| The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep. |
| --W. C. Fields |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Ted Bennett said:
"John Q. Public" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I bought the Planet Bike Freddy Fenders from an online vendor, and got
> a bit confused by the Ikea-like incomplete directions.
>
> When attaching the arms on the fender (sorry, not sure of the real
> name) that attach to the fork/frame, do I need to attach the washer
> between the fork/frame and the arms?
>
> (fork > washer > arm > bolt)
>
> or would the washer need to be nearest the bolt head?
>
> (fork > arm > washer > bolt>
>

> also, does anyone know what size the bolt's that attach to the
> fork/frame are? I want to pop by a hardware store and get a few, but I
> don't have an extra to bring to the store (unless I steal one from my
> fenders)...
>
> I'm assuming it's a standard size, since their bolt fit the threaded
> hole in the forks....
>
> thanks!

The "arms" are fender stays, or mudguard stays if you're a Brit.

Use the washer under the bolt head, and put a small dab of grease on the
threads to allow better tightening and easier, or even possible,
removing.

The bolts are likely M5. Take an existing bolt in with you to the
hardware so you can match it. Make it a good hardware, and stainless
steel bolts are nice. The higher cost for a few won't break the bank.

--
Ted Bennett
Agreed on the washer position and high quality strong stainless hardware. I prefer Blue Loctite on the threads of fasteners for fenders, racks, and water bottle holders. This is the removable kind of Loctite and helps protect the threads plus it helps keep them from loosening from vibrations.
Make sure the threads are clean before the final installation. Also try to get bolts that fully engage all the threads in the frame. This step helps keep bits of road grime/grit from filling in the rest of the threaded area... and helps prevent corosion.