n00b with some questions.

Jeffy Dahmer

Aug 30, 2009
I recently was given a trek 7100 bike (donor) from a family friend, and just yesterday purchased a bridgestone mb-2 frame. i wanted to take the wheels from the trek and put it on the bridgestone (planning on making it a single speed) , but the tires are too large and it is a like 6 or 7 speed, i was wondering if a single speed kit would work with this rear wheel? also im having to buy a smaller tire, 700 35c are on the wheels now and im planning on running a 700 25 due to the 35's rubbing, where can i get cheap cheap tires from, im in college and really just looking to get around town not ride across country. Thanks for the help. Cheers ;)

Freewheels - Nashbar Single Speed Kit

Performancebike, nashbar, niagaracycle, bikepartsusa, all have deals on tires. Get the kevlar belted ones for flat protection. 25s will puncture more.

The rear wheel may be a freewheel, so singlespeed kits won't work. However, if you know how to respace a wheel, all you need is a bmx-type freewheel to go singlespeed, as well as a chain tensioner if your bike doesn't have horizontal dropouts. See "fixed gear on the cheap" on sheldonbrown.com. They talk about respacing a rear wheel.

You just have to discover whether you have a freewheel or cassette hub, also on the same site. A freewheel has a lockring inside the smallest, outer sprocket which rotates with the wheel, not the sprockets. It often has two holes facing the end of the hub, which are used to remove it.

A freehub has the sprockets held on either by the top sprocket itself, or has a lockring holding the smallest sprocket on,which rotates with the sprockets.

The easiest cheapest single speed........shift once and never again

garage sale GT said:
Performancebike, nashbar, niagaracycle, bikepartsusa, all have deals on tires. Get the kevlar belted ones for flat protection. 25s will puncture more.

The rear wheel may be a freewheel, so singlespeed kits won't work. However, if you know how to respace a wheel, all you need is a bmx-type freewheel to go singlespeed, as well as a chain tensioner if your bike doesn't have horizontal dropouts. See "fixed gear on the cheap" on sheldonbrown.com. They talk about respacing a rear wheel.

You just have to discover whether you have a freewheel or cassette hub, also on the same site. A freewheel has a lockring inside the smallest, outer sprocket which rotates with the wheel, not the sprockets. It often has two holes facing the end of the hub, which are used to remove it.

A freehub has the sprockets held on either by the top sprocket itself, or has a lockring holding the smallest sprocket on,which rotates with the sprockets.
thanks for the quick reply and info. so basically hope for a freewheel? cause i have a couple wheels from bmx bikes laying around.

It's almost certainly a freewheel unless it's fifteen years old or more. However, review the webpage regarding what you have to do to respace the wheel before you rejoice.

Although, I guess you could just run the wheel without respacing.

garage sale GT said:
It's almost certainly a freewheel unless it's fifteen years old or more. However, review the webpage regarding what you have to do to respace the wheel before you rejoice.

Although, I guess you could just run the wheel without respacing.
thanks man Cheers! ;)