Nashbar Ventoux Pedals vs Look

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike Elliott, Feb 4, 2003.

  1. Mike Elliott

    Mike Elliott Guest

    I hesitated before leaping directly from SPDs to Looks and got a pair of Nashbar Ventoux . . . just
    to kind of confirm that this style of pedal is easier to get into than my single-sided faux road
    SPDs. They are. But when I twist out, it's easy to over-rotate the foot, resulting in the cleat kind
    of re-locking itself back to the pedal.

    Does anyone know whether this is something peculiar to the Ventoux only, or is it something
    Looks do too?

    MikeE, Moving in a stepwise fashion towards fancy-pants Look road pedals.

    Tags:

  2. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > it's easy to over-rotate the foot, resulting in the cleat kind of re-locking itself back to
    > the pedal.

    This doesn't occur with Looks because the part which grabs the cleat is convex instead of the
    concave design of the Nashbar pedals.

    "Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I hesitated before leaping directly from SPDs to Looks and got a pair of Nashbar Ventoux . . .
    > just to kind of confirm that this style of pedal is easier to get into than my single-sided faux
    > road SPDs. They are. But when I twist out, it's easy to over-rotate the foot, resulting in the
    > cleat kind of re-locking itself back to the pedal.
    >
    > Does anyone know whether this is something peculiar to the Ventoux only, or is it something
    > Looks do too?
    >
    > MikeE, Moving in a stepwise fashion towards fancy-pants Look road pedals.

  3. Harvey

    Harvey Guest

    Mike Elliott <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I hesitated before leaping directly from SPDs to Looks and got a pair of Nashbar Ventoux . . .
    > just to kind of confirm that this style of pedal is easier to get into than my single-sided faux
    > road SPDs. They are. But when I twist out, it's easy to over-rotate the foot, resulting in the
    > cleat kind of re-locking itself back to the pedal.
    >
    > Does anyone know whether this is something peculiar to the Ventoux only, or is it something
    > Looks do too?

    Are you using the cleat that comes with the Ventoux, or a standard LOOK cleat? The Ventoux (made by
    Welgo) cleat should work fine - at least my Welgos did. But they work miserably with a LOOK cleat
    despite their claim of compatibility - so back to Nashbar went the Welgos.

    In any case, other than the slight weight and cost penalty I would heartily recommend LOOK. I have
    been using LOOK (and LOOK "Shimanos") for decades. They are dead reliable, and last forever. They
    have very positive engagement/disengagement.

    Harvey

  4. Mike Elliott

    Mike Elliott Guest

    I read that [email protected] said in article <193da867.0302050651.a13d2b7 @posting.google.com>, . . .
    > Mike Elliott <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I hesitated before leaping directly from SPDs to Looks and got a pair of Nashbar Ventoux . . .
    > > just to kind of confirm that this style of pedal is easier to get into than my single-sided faux
    > > road SPDs. They are. But when I twist out, it's easy to over-rotate the foot, resulting in the
    > > cleat kind of re-locking itself back to the pedal.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know whether this is something peculiar to the Ventoux only, or is it something
    > > Looks do too?
    > >
    > Are you using the cleat that comes with the Ventoux, or a standard LOOK cleat? The Ventoux (made
    > by Welgo) cleat should work fine - at least my Welgos did. But they work miserably with a LOOK
    > cleat despite their claim of compatibility - so back to Nashbar went the Welgos.
    >
    > In any case, other than the slight weight and cost penalty I would heartily recommend LOOK. I have
    > been using LOOK (and LOOK "Shimanos") for decades. They are dead reliable, and last forever. They
    > have very positive engagement/disengagement.

    Thanks, everyone. I'm using the Ventoux cleats, so it's a design thing .
    . . or a "feature"!

    MikeE