Nashbar Ventoux Pedals vs Look

Mike Elliott

Guest
I hesitated before leaping directly from SPDs to Looks and got a pair of Nashbar Ventoux . . . just
to kind of confirm that this style of pedal is easier to get into than my single-sided faux road
SPDs. They are. But when I twist out, it's easy to over-rotate the foot, resulting in the cleat kind
of re-locking itself back to the pedal.

Does anyone know whether this is something peculiar to the Ventoux only, or is it something
Looks do too?

MikeE, Moving in a stepwise fashion towards fancy-pants Look road pedals.

> it's easy to over-rotate the foot, resulting in the cleat kind of re-locking itself back to
> the pedal.

This doesn't occur with Looks because the part which grabs the cleat is convex instead of the
concave design of the Nashbar pedals.

"Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I hesitated before leaping directly from SPDs to Looks and got a pair of Nashbar Ventoux . . .
> just to kind of confirm that this style of pedal is easier to get into than my single-sided faux
> road SPDs. They are. But when I twist out, it's easy to over-rotate the foot, resulting in the
> cleat kind of re-locking itself back to the pedal.
>
> Does anyone know whether this is something peculiar to the Ventoux only, or is it something
> Looks do too?
>
> MikeE, Moving in a stepwise fashion towards fancy-pants Look road pedals.

Mike Elliott <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I hesitated before leaping directly from SPDs to Looks and got a pair of Nashbar Ventoux . . .
> just to kind of confirm that this style of pedal is easier to get into than my single-sided faux
> road SPDs. They are. But when I twist out, it's easy to over-rotate the foot, resulting in the
> cleat kind of re-locking itself back to the pedal.
>
> Does anyone know whether this is something peculiar to the Ventoux only, or is it something
> Looks do too?

Are you using the cleat that comes with the Ventoux, or a standard LOOK cleat? The Ventoux (made by
Welgo) cleat should work fine - at least my Welgos did. But they work miserably with a LOOK cleat
despite their claim of compatibility - so back to Nashbar went the Welgos.

In any case, other than the slight weight and cost penalty I would heartily recommend LOOK. I have
been using LOOK (and LOOK "Shimanos") for decades. They are dead reliable, and last forever. They
have very positive engagement/disengagement.

Harvey

I read that [email protected] said in article <193da867.0302050651.a13d2b7 @posting.google.com>, . . .
> Mike Elliott <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > I hesitated before leaping directly from SPDs to Looks and got a pair of Nashbar Ventoux . . .
> > just to kind of confirm that this style of pedal is easier to get into than my single-sided faux
> > road SPDs. They are. But when I twist out, it's easy to over-rotate the foot, resulting in the
> > cleat kind of re-locking itself back to the pedal.
> >
> > Does anyone know whether this is something peculiar to the Ventoux only, or is it something
> > Looks do too?
> >
> Are you using the cleat that comes with the Ventoux, or a standard LOOK cleat? The Ventoux (made
> by Welgo) cleat should work fine - at least my Welgos did. But they work miserably with a LOOK
> cleat despite their claim of compatibility - so back to Nashbar went the Welgos.
>
> In any case, other than the slight weight and cost penalty I would heartily recommend LOOK. I have
> been using LOOK (and LOOK "Shimanos") for decades. They are dead reliable, and last forever. They
> have very positive engagement/disengagement.

Thanks, everyone. I'm using the Ventoux cleats, so it's a design thing .
. . or a "feature"!

MikeE