national racing fees

Steve McGinty

Guest
The cost of racing is being discussed in the (new-ish) Scottish cycling forum (the helmet debate is
next week).

In Scotland a full racing licence is 80GBP (120Euro - 130USD) and average race entry fee is 8GBP
(12E - 13D).

Reading other threads in here this seems high. What are the equivalents elswhere?

Cheers! Stephen www.scuonline.org/forum/ scottish cyclists talkin

New Zealand (well this part of the South Island anyway)

National licence: NZD100 ($1=GBP 0.33 at the mo, US$0.55) Race entry: $5 for local club race, $30
usually provincial level, multisport events usuallly $10-$30. Prize money for local Cat1 is usually
$30, $20, $10.

So comparing economic strength etc, I'd say that GBP100 was about 15-20% high but that race
entry fees were comparable. Last time I had to buy a BCF licence it was GBP25 but that would be
8 years ago now.

But life is simpler here. A Cat1 race will be like being in the break, will usually involve 1 or 2
Olympic riders depending on who gets out of bed. Last week the handicap race scratch mark was the
national pursuit squad plus 1. No race radios and the only car following the bunch will be the
race director.

Oh and I still don't miss the weather :) STF