Need a new rear wheel on mountain bike

George Orwell

Guest
I believe I need a new rear wheel on my mountain bike, as I have had the bearing replaced a few times. Reason being the wheel would move side to side, and eventually come in contact with the upper bar of the frame. Therefore the bearing replacement only temporarily fixes the problem. Am I right in assuming I need an entire rear wheel? If so would that fix the problem? Also is it not that difficult to do? I'm sure I can find helpful stuff on the web to help. Thanks.

George Orwell wrote:
> I believe I need a new rear wheel on my mountain bike, as I have had the bearing replaced a few times. Reason being the wheel would move side to side, and eventually come in contact with the upper bar of the frame. Therefore the bearing replacement only temporarily fixes the problem. Am I right in assuming I need an entire rear wheel? If so would that fix the problem? Also is it not that difficult to do? I'm sure I can find helpful stuff on the web to help. Thanks.

So many factors that can come into play (no pun intended) here.

Given the basic nature of your question, I suggest you take the complete
bike to a good bike mechanic who can take steps to ensure that your back
wheel is round and true, fixed properly to the frame, has a not-too-big
tyre on it, and most importantly has bearings that are properly
adjusted/tightened and lubricated.

/Robert