Need advice on buying bike for 360 lbs bloke

Hi all,

some advice on bikes for big blokes please.
I am 180 kg, and 1,88 m tall. Thats 6"17' and 30 stones.
(Hope I go the conversion right. I am sure about the metric ones.)

So far I have been able to find only two bicycles so far that will
support my weight:

Schauff Sumo (English language website)
http://www.schauff.de/schauff2002.d...e&action=fahrrad&typ=XXL/XXS&jahr=2006&id=387
and

Utopia London (German language only, but nice pictures)
http://www.utopia-fahrrad.de/Fahrrad_Html/Kapitel_Html/81_London_104.html

I will see the only UK dealership offering Schauff Sumo tomorrow.

Do you know of any other bicycles that will be OK?
I do not want to build a bike by myself, but buy a ready-made one.

Thanks,
JanMartin

P.S.:
Excuse my English, I am a German in UK.

[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am 180 kg, and 1,88 m tall. Thats 6"17' and 30 stones.
> (Hope I go the conversion right. I am sure about the metric ones.)

Nearly, but I make you 6 feet 2 inches, not 6 inches 17 feet as
you wrote - if you were that tall you'd be seriously underweight
for your height, and probably a tree. ;-)

Feet are ', inches are ". Confusing, isn't it. :)

--
Nobby Anderson

[email protected] wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Hi all,
>
> some advice on bikes for big blokes please.
> I am 180 kg, and 1,88 m tall. Thats 6"17' and 30 stones.
> (Hope I go the conversion right. I am sure about the metric ones.)
>
> So far I have been able to find only two bicycles so far that will
> support my weight:
>
> Schauff Sumo (English language website)
> http://www.schauff.de/schauff2002.de/index.php?

language=e&action=fahrra
> d&typ=XXL%2FXXS&jahr=2006&id=387 and
>
> Utopia London (German language only, but nice pictures)
> http://www.utopia-fahrrad.de/Fahrrad_Html/Kapitel_Html/81_London_

104.ht
> ml
>
> I will see the only UK dealership offering Schauff Sumo tomorrow.
>
> Do you know of any other bicycles that will be OK?
> I do not want to build a bike by myself, but buy a ready-made one.
>
> Thanks,
> JanMartin
>
> P.S.:
> Excuse my English, I am a German in UK.

six foot and seventeen inches ? Surely you mean 7' 5" ????

--
Stuart

"end user" v. A command regrettably not implemented in most systems.

[email protected] wrote:
> some advice on bikes for big blokes please.
> I am 180 kg, and 1,88 m tall. Thats 6"17' and 30 stones.

About 6' 3", 28 stone (400lb for the Americans).

> (Hope I go the conversion right. I am sure about the metric ones.)
>
> So far I have been able to find only two bicycles so far that will
> support my weight:
>
> Schauff Sumo (English language website)
> http://www.schauff.de/schauff2002.d...e&action=fahrrad&typ=XXL/XXS&jahr=2006&id=387
> and
>
> Utopia London (German language only, but nice pictures)
> http://www.utopia-fahrrad.de/Fahrrad_Html/Kapitel_Html/81_London_104.html

But that's the only assistance I can give!

Colin McKenzie

--
In Britain, there is less justification for wearing cycling helmets
than there is for wearing walking helmets.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> some advice on bikes for big blokes please.
> I am 180 kg, and 1,88 m tall. Thats 6"17' and 30 stones.
> (Hope I go the conversion right. I am sure about the metric ones.)
>
> So far I have been able to find only two bicycles so far that will
> support my weight:
>
> Schauff Sumo (English language website)
> http://www.schauff.de/schauff2002.d...e&action=fahrrad&typ=XXL/XXS&jahr=2006&id=387
> and
>
> Utopia London (German language only, but nice pictures)
> http://www.utopia-fahrrad.de/Fahrrad_Html/Kapitel_Html/81_London_104.html
>
> I will see the only UK dealership offering Schauff Sumo tomorrow.
>
> Do you know of any other bicycles that will be OK?
> I do not want to build a bike by myself, but buy a ready-made one.

A decent steel mountain bike would manage road use, IMO. On-one are making a
29" wheeled bike, so I suppose you could fit touring tyres.

OTOH, Pashley make post bikes that can carry rider and a big load, so maybe
they could sort something...

Doki <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> Do you know of any other bicycles that will be OK?
>> I do not want to build a bike by myself, but buy a ready-made one.

> A decent steel mountain bike would manage road use, IMO. On-one are making a
> 29" wheeled bike, so I suppose you could fit touring tyres.

True for the most part, but the smaller 26" wheels are stronger given
all else remaining the same.

> OTOH, Pashley make post bikes that can carry rider and a big load, so maybe
> they could sort something...

How are they setup for gearing? Though, I suppose that's another
question, is where the OP riding flat, or very hilly? You could get
more bike for less money if you don't need as much gearing range
(generally).

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"When you know not whereof you speak, your mouth is best used

If the one at
http://www.schauff.de/schauff2002.d...=387&bild=5&gross=y&rahmen=0&farbe=0&option=0
can support that stone lion, you should be ok.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> some advice on bikes for big blokes please.
> I am 180 kg, and 1,88 m tall. Thats 6"17' and 30 stones.
> (Hope I go the conversion right. I am sure about the metric ones.)
>
> So far I have been able to find only two bicycles so far that will
> support my weight:
>
> Schauff Sumo (English language website)

http://www.schauff.de/schauff2002.d...e&action=fahrrad&typ=XXL/XXS&jahr=2006&id=387
> and
>
> Utopia London (German language only, but nice pictures)
> http://www.utopia-fahrrad.de/Fahrrad_Html/Kapitel_Html/81_London_104.html
>
> I will see the only UK dealership offering Schauff Sumo tomorrow.
>
> Do you know of any other bicycles that will be OK?
> I do not want to build a bike by myself, but buy a ready-made one.
>
> Thanks,
> JanMartin
>
> P.S.:
> Excuse my English, I am a German in UK.

--

Martin Bulmer

Doki wrote:

> A decent steel mountain bike would manage road use, IMO. On-one are making a
> 29" wheeled bike, so I suppose you could fit touring tyres.

I find (6'4", 18st or thereabouts) that I break back wheel spokes once
every few months, as I tend to ride with my work stuff in panniers and
so the unsprung weight on the back plus my own weight doesn't help :).
This isn't necessarily a problem, though - you could either buy a very
good handbuilt wheel which is less likely to break spokes, or just do
what I do and replace them with cheapo Halfords jobs every now and then
(it's easier).

(I'd quite like to go for hub gears/brakes, but this inconvenience is
the one thing that'd put me off, as my bike would then be off the road
for a short while every time I broke one, rather than having a spare at
home as I often do).

Neil

"Neil Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I find (6'4", 18st or thereabouts) that I break back wheel spokes once
> every few months, as I tend to ride with my work stuff in panniers and
> so the unsprung weight on the back plus my own weight doesn't help :).
> This isn't necessarily a problem, though - you could either buy a very
> good handbuilt wheel which is less likely to break spokes, or just do
> what I do and replace them with cheapo Halfords jobs every now and then
> (it's easier).

You say breaking spokes every few months and replacing the entire wheel is
easier than getting a decent one? Do you _really_ believe that?

Next time, get a properly built back wheel - it will be worth it!

cheers,
clive

> you could either buy a very
> good handbuilt wheel which is less likely to break spokes, or just do
> what I do and replace them with cheapo Halfords jobs every now and
> then (it's easier).

Get a cheapo halfords job and throw £7 ish at the LBS to true and wossname
it properly?

Clive George wrote:
>> This isn't necessarily a problem, though - you could either buy a very
>> good handbuilt wheel which is less likely to break spokes, or just do
>> what I do and replace them with cheapo Halfords jobs every now and then
>> (it's easier).

> Next time, get a properly built back wheel - it will be worth it!

Wot he sed.

I was in a similar position (and weight) to the OP, going through
Halfords rear wheels (and axles) faster than evasions in a government,
when I splashed out on a Mavic rim built up professionally to a rear
wheel with a cassette, not a block. In the 4 years since it's had to be
retrued a grand total of twice.

R.

Clive George wrote:

> You say breaking spokes every few months and replacing the entire wheel is
> easier than getting a decent one? Do you _really_ believe that?

No, but it's easier than taking the wheel in and waiting for a spoke to
be replaced, with the added risk that a load of the others will have
been weakened and will therefore go very quickly afterwards. I've
tried doing it myself but wheelbuilding is one of the few
maintenance-related things I've not been able to get the hang of
properly.

> Next time, get a properly built back wheel - it will be worth it!

Fair enough!

Neil

"Clive George" <[email protected]> of Customer of PlusNet plc
(http://www.plus.net) wrote:

>"Neil Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I find (6'4", 18st or thereabouts) that I break back wheel spokes once
>> every few months, as I tend to ride with my work stuff in panniers and
>> so the unsprung weight on the back plus my own weight doesn't help :).
>> This isn't necessarily a problem, though - you could either buy a very
>> good handbuilt wheel which is less likely to break spokes, or just do
>> what I do and replace them with cheapo Halfords jobs every now and then
>> (it's easier).

>You say breaking spokes every few months and replacing the entire wheel is
>easier than getting a decent one? Do you _really_ believe that?

He might, I don't. I'm a bit lighter, but do lug 2 full panniers of
shopping back from the supermarket maybe once a month. Found that I was
breaking 2-3 spokes per year on my riding to work bike (MTB with slicks). My
road bike never breaks spokes. As the breaks were always on the hub side,
that was costing me £7.50 a shot for replacement and truing, plus the
inconvenience of being without bike to ride to work. So had a chat with the
mechanic at Withington Cycles, opted for a hand built wheel with 36 spokes
at just under £50, and two years on haven't broken a single spoke.

>Next time, get a properly built back wheel - it will be worth it!

It was indeed.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group

Mark Thompson wrote:
>> you could either buy a very
>> good handbuilt wheel which is less likely to break spokes, or just do
>> what I do and replace them with cheapo Halfords jobs every now and
>> then (it's easier).

> Get a cheapo halfords job and throw 7 ish at the LBS to true and
> wossname it properly?

Wot 'e said. Seriously, spokes should (almost) *never* break. Especially
when you've chosen the one true solution of a HUB GEAR.*

--
Ambrose
*not a HUG BEER, as I almost spoonerised it to.