Need advice Shift Levers, and derail's

JoelinNH

Jun 22, 2003
Howdy!

Currently I am running the year 2000 Trek 1000, and I hate the fact that in order to up shift you must come out of the hoods or drop outs to do so. I am looking to upgrade the shift levers without breaking the bank. Any thoughts?
Also, the bike came with a three gear forward set, and I usually run the 53 tooth gear all the time. I would like to drop the most inner "granny gear" and up grade to a nine speed rear. Again, any suggestions are appreciated. Oh yeah, is there a readily available larger front crank gear, perhaps a 54 to 56 tooth? And is this allowed by the USCF cycling races?
Perhaps it would be best to trade the old girl in and grab a new ride. What do you think? Thanks in advance for the info. Cheers-Joel

sounds like you've got a 24 speed bike...triple chainring and 8 speed cassette.

to go to 9 speed rear, you'll have to have new shifters, rear derailleur, and cassette. you'll need a new front derailleur if going to 18 speed. also, a new bottom bracket with a shorter spindle if going 18 speed, and new crank/chainrinset.

a lot of money to upgrade a trek 1000. maybe you need to look at a new bike.

shimano makes 54, 55, qnd 56 tooth chainrings for tt applications. they're expensive...about $90 each.

others make less expensive versions (stronglite/stronglight makes big rings...I have a 55 on my tt bike) but they aren't shimano quality... don't have shift plates and won't shift as nicely. but I hardly ever get out of the 55 on my tt bike anyway.