Never catching a break

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Raptor, Jun 15, 2003.

  1. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    If I get this new fitness instruction career choice of mine to pay off, I'll be exercising and
    maintaining conditioning year-round. No more getting "fat" over the Winter. (I took my very first
    class on a virtual ride from Salt Lake to Park City Saturday.) In a typical year, my weight would
    stay roughly constant but my body composition would change with the seasons. If anything, I get
    lighter in Winter (muscle is heavier than fat).

    The pros and serious amateur competitors seem to require an annual rest period, or that's the
    doctrine that I learned. Whether it means real de-conditioning or just casually maintaining a basic
    level comparable to the typical in-shape hacker, I don't know.

    Is this annual break a matter of mythology, or is it something that only serious endurance
    competitors need to worry about, or is it relevent to someone like me?

  2. "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is this annual break a matter of mythology, or is it something that
    only
    > serious endurance competitors need to worry about, or is it relevent
    > someone like me?

    For me, a little bit of time (like a week) completely off is important mentally. And a few weeks
    very easy is important for me to get over little phycial problems that build up over the course of
    the year -- like remnants of saddle sores, etc.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com