new group ride, not able to keep with lead group

Mac_Biker

May 16, 2010
Started riding with a new group ride out here.
Sunday at 6:30.
I heard that it was fast.
40 miles.

On the way out it was a social pace. But then midway it started to pick up tremendously. Felt like every hill, we sprinted up on. And after that, there was more. On the relative flats, felt like it was a lot of gas and rest, gas and rest, gas and rest. Felt like they would never let up. Finally I said can't hold this for much longer, pulled off, and drafted and rode with the tail group.

I've attached the power data for the first part (before getting dropped - interval 0) and the data afterwards (interval 1).
Let me know what workouts will help with this group ride most.
I've been doing a training crit every tuesday night and that seems to be going fine.

My FTP is around 216. Although I haven't tested it recently. I'm positive it's higher though, since I can do my 2x20's at close to 220 on a rested day. I weigh 145lbs.

Looks like you're simply in over your head - and we've all been there at some time or another. That said, you need to increase your aerobic strength by sticking with the basics - no silver bullet's going to allow you to keep up with guys/gals that are simply faster than you.

Keep doin' what you're doin' (threshold intervals), and be sure to mix in some Vo2 max intervals - not to increase your physiological Vo2max, which isn't all that trainable (genetically set) - but to increase the power you can produce, and more importantly sustain, at your Vo2max (which is highly trainable). I personally like 2min on/2min off at 120% of FTP. The "off" period's at 60% FTP. Once a week (when I'm not racing) I'll do these - either on a Tuesday or Wednesday...

This might not help answer your question, but it's worth noting that doing these kinds of rides where you are in over your head are really good training too. The more you do, the stronger you will become and hopefully reach a point where you're not being left behind. It sounds like with those kinds of gas on/ ease off dynamics, it is good race simulation.

You can also set goals for yourself, ie. "I'm going to hang on for six deadly accelerations before getting dropped", or "I'm going to hang on 30 minutes before getting dropped" or try to stay with the leaders until a certain landmark. I've was racing in way over my head last year and after an ego adjustment, it was really rewarding and fun to see the improvements...

40 miles in 2:35 is not really a fast group. (I understand hills v. flats and all.) 145w for 60 minutes (after the first 45 minutes) is not a very hard effort in a fast group.

But as others have said - keep riding with the group and you will get better at the rides they do. Not much more that you can do - except to ride more often.

looked at golden cheetah. total "riding time" was actually 2:23 and the ride was 45 miles total, because this included the commute to and from the ride.

the good news is that I came in 6th in the following Tuesday night crit!!!! group size was roughly 35-40.
It was a cat 5, 25 min or so. They basically do 20 or so mins + a couple of laps as it gets dark.
I know it's a training crit, but I'll take that.
It was awesome to be there at the end with the sprint.

Originally Posted by Mac_Biker .

looked at golden cheetah. total "riding time" was actually 2:23 and the ride was 45 miles total, because this included the commute to and from the ride.

the good news is that I came in 6th in the following Tuesday night crit!!!! group size was roughly 35-40.
It was a cat 5, 25 min or so. They basically do 20 or so mins + a couple of laps as it gets dark.
I know it's a training crit, but I'll take that.
It was awesome to be there at the end with the sprint.

I have a question about the metrics--I had thought that it was impossible to have a workout with an RI greater than 1.0 (although a little fluctuation is OK). So if you can ramp up 1.1 in a half hour, perhaps the CP is set low by 10w or so?

I think the RI above 1.10 for a half hour is okay? Critical power is the power that can be sustained for an hour.

You seem to have done well.

---

Looking at your graph and summary I don't 6 minutes above 324w.

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

You seem to have done well.

---

Looking at your graph and summary I don't 6 minutes above 324w.
I believe it has to do with how the graph is "smoothed". Bringing it down to 5 seconds helps out a bit.